Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 12:08:24 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I know this isn't the troubleshooting section, but I thought I might reach more people (and more likely reach M1A shooters) here.  I am also posting on Battlerifles.com.

My problem is with a SA M1A.  This rifle has a Smith Enterprises scope mount and Aimpoint red dot scope.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=jimmybcool&album_id=59083&image_id=7&courtesy=1[/img]

When I first fired it I was having stovepipe problems.  Also discovered it was running pretty dry.  So, took it home, lubed it better (?) and tried again.

No problems for a while, then it started again.  Brass cases not clearing the rifle and jamming the bolt.

Anyone else have this setup and the same problem?  Ideas anyone?

James
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Running dry shouldn't make much of a difference, these are very forgiving rifles when it comes to lack of lube. I'd try it with the scope mount off, because the mount may be catching the fired cases and tipping them back down into the receiver. Are there any brass marks on the bottom of the mount?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC according to Fulton Armory, M1As were made to be lubed with grease not oil like Breakfree. Tetra grease is preferred. Try that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
1- Is firearm lubed correctly? Oprod spring, guide and bbl contact point? Bolt guides in rec? Oprod guide in rec, bolt roller/oprod cam slot? Is firearm broken-in?
2- Is piston clean? Can it move under its own weight? When field stripped/with bolt-oprod installed---will bolt/oprod move under its own weight?
3- Factory or reloaded ammo?
4- Remove scope mt and test fire rifle. Does it work OK?
5- Install new ejector and spring. Test fire. Does it work OK?
6- Install new extractor. Test fire. Does it work OK?

Make sure firearm is working correctly then install scope mt. Some guns will extract into the mt and need some extractor "tuning" to correct the problem...
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replys.

NH2112,

Yes, there are brass marks on the underside of the scope mount.  No, I am not removing this mount except as last resort.  It is a pain in the ass to install and align properly.  If it comes to it, I'll try it.

Imbroglio,

I did use grease.  But not Tetra.  Forget the name (its in the garage now).  Same stuff I  use on the bolt of my ARs.  Maybe a slicker lube is prefered.

Noname,

I am not sure it is lubed correctly.  I have McDuffs book on M14s which I am going to follow carefully tonight to clean and lube the rifle.  I should have in the first place.

As to ammo, I have used Federal Match grade ammo only.  All brass, all new.  A very expensive way to troubleshoot, but whenever I try something new I use top quality ammo to eliminate ammo related failures.

I have a hunch this is going to be an ejector tuning problem.  First, I will exhaustively clean  and lube per McDuff (I will cross check with the US Army manual for the M14).  I will inspect the extractor and ejector components.  Try again.  If I still have a problem I will contact Smith Enterprise to see if they have had similar problems and offer a solution.  Only after all that will I remove the mount to verify that is the problem.  Seriously, if you have never mounted on of these - it sucks.  

Tell the truth, unless this is a lube problem, or there is some way to modify ejection angle to resolve the issue, I think I'm sunk.  We'll see.

Thanks again.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top