Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2002 5:16:25 PM EDT
Our girl Shatzi finally got her last point for her championship.  Doesn't really mean anything other than we can put a CH. in front of her name.  I took about a year and a half, and probably would have gone quicker had we hired a handler, but I guess it was more "fun" to do it myself. [rolleyes]
Anyhew, here is a picture from one of her majors:
[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0RwBED7wYs2jAsSjkHDJj9zM7Sk9ynUv7M51ZiZV8BoN9dNrj56zrChxG2ImEVWIf57EYQF9RDvL!62RPxQJrcUsCanJkvTLVUKUasxkWgUE/schatzi-major-show-big.jpg[/img]

Our little girl took the win today, winning her first points.  Great, now we got to keep going with her. Ugh. [;)]

Here she is(the one on the right):
[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NAAOGvQQepypbUUlZyLiz!5TpZqTkhS9koqUANxHqGNLP5uKsD16zkG!GY2Z5eU4qgw*oQsD35AkVd33DZuFhg/IMG_00120.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh... I'm gonna pass on this one. It's just WAY too easy. [;)]

Congrats anyway [beer]

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
congrats........[beer]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats bro!

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I'll say it....That's one nice looking BITCH!!!  You're a lucky man Ratters!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful dog!! Congratulations!![beer]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
And yes...I meant the dog.

Sgtar15

PS The lady is nice also.

Link Posted: 3/23/2002 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
She's a Smooth Coated Bernese Mountain dog isn't she?

Pretty dog, congrats on her championship!
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats!  [beer]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Dog gone good looking dog, doggoneit. Congrats to Shatzi and her masters.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She's a Smooth Coated Bernese Mountain dog isn't she?

Pretty dog, congrats on her championship!
View Quote

LOL, she is a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.  I love it when people ask if she is "one of those short haired BURMESE mountain dogs."  You know those long coats work great in the jungles of Burma. [;)]

Thanks for the congrats, there was a period of several months where she went without a win and a lot of last places.  I couldn't understand it as she really did fit the standard well and everone in our breed thought she should win handily.  I think it was just my piss-poor handling. [:P]  

Luckily in our breed in our area most of the owners are friends so we are all really happy for each other so it has always been pretty fun to show.  Where my breeder in S. Cal. shows, their club rarely meets and they are always ready to put a dagger in each others back.  Of course, that is probably the norm for the whole dog show thing.

I can't imagine what it is like to have to show a Golden Retriever or Lab where you have to compete against 20 or 30 other dogs per show. I don't see how those people ever finish.

Thanks again. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats Ratters. I know what you mean about the dry spells between wins.
Our first champion Rough Collie(CH. Gambits jagged Edge) seemed to take forever for his CH.
Since then he has gotten his CD, NA, HT, PR, TDI,CGC, OFA, VC from AWCA and his HIC from CCA.(whew!!)
This without a professional handler. It is funner and more rewarding when you take the win[beer]
Our German Shepherds are a different story, you almost can't win without a pro handler.

And yes, judges can be political beasts.

BTW: Did you show at specialties or all breeds? maybe we'll see you at a show sometime.

We also do herding and agility trial(gotta be in shape for that one[:D])
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Geez Phoenix, I'm just hoping for the CGC. That is quite the list of accomplishments.

I almost always do all breeds, as I refuse to go more than an hour away for a show.  Luckily in the Bay Area I can still hit about 10 shows a year.  In fact there are about six shows this year within a half hour of my house, including our regional specialty.  

Now that the big girl is finished, I'm not sure what we are going to do.  We may spay and tack the young one just to not have to deal with it anymore.  I'll probably still go to a few shows a year as it good for the club to have "active" members as we are working toward our AKC sanctioning.  Probably start the older one in weight pulling this year as well.  I am going to brace the two girls next month just for the fun of it.  I'm going to special the girl a couple times hoping for a cheap BOB win, as that is the ribbon I still don't have.  Damn male dominated sport. [;)]

Yeah, luckily our breed sort of flies under the judges political radar, though the pro handlers still get put up with a lot of regularity.  Plus judges don't know how to judge the breed so wins are pretty much a crap shoot anyhow.  Last show, both judges that weekend pulled out the standard IN THE MIDDLE of judging.  Ugh, at least read it before you get through a couple classes.  So we end up with a lot of dogs winning who are not what I consider typey.  They may have good movement but they have snipey little heads, a gay tail, and are too small.  It is supposed to be a big working breed after all.

Oh well, that will always be a problem in any activity that is judged, just look at the olympics.  Except that dog showing is even more political. [:)]

If you are heading up to the Bay Area for any shows shoot me an email.  Good luck with your GSD.  My sister has a white one, they are beautiful dogs.  I could never own one though after watching the documentary War Dogs on Discover Channel.  I would be crying every day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations!!

^
[size=1][url]www.cures-not-wars.org/[/url]Truth Will Liberate Earth.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege [b]feinstein/hci[/b] master plan
for TOTAL Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/[/url]  [size=1]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY
Implant Micro-chip

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR[/size=1]

FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats Steve. Great looking dog.

Where was that picture taken? It looks familiar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always wanted to say this to a large group..."Nice looking bitch!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#16]
That's a mighty fine bitch ya got there!

Congrats!

I'd offer stud service with my mutt dog, but he's been neutered. His genes are just so unique and special I figured that it would be a threat to humanity to pass on to other dogs such amazing genes. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats Steve. Great looking dog.

Where was that picture taken? It looks familiar.
View Quote

Thanks Matt,

That is the Marin Center fairgrounds.  Really pretty place to have a show.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey Ratters, did Triumph the Insult Comic Dog from the Conan O'Brien Show try to hump your dog yet?

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Geez Phoenix, I'm just hoping for the CGC. That is quite the list of accomplishments.
View Quote

Thanks Ratters, all it takes is a lot of work! [:D] I'm sure she will pass her CGC.

I almost always do all breeds, as I refuse to go more than an hour away for a show.  Luckily in the Bay Area I can still hit about 10 shows a year.  In fact there are about six shows this year within a half hour of my house, including our regional specialty.
View Quote

We just had the Collie Nats in Riverside (SO Cal) a few weeks ago, glad its over till next year! The agility trials were a blast.  

Now that the big girl is finished, I'm not sure what we are going to do.[/quote)
Have you considered going for her TDI (Therapy Dogs International)? With this, if you fly, she can ride with you in the cabin[:D]  
[quote)  I'm going to special the girl a couple times hoping for a cheap BOB win, as that is the ribbon I still don't have.  Damn male dominated sport. [;)]
View Quote
Good Luck with BOB.

judges don't know how to judge the breed so wins are pretty much a crap shoot anyhow.  Last show, both judges that weekend pulled out the standard IN THE MIDDLE of judging.  Ugh, at least read it before you get through a couple classes.  So we end up with a lot of dogs winning who are not what I consider typey.  They may have good movement but they have snipey little heads, a gay tail, and are too small.  It is supposed to be a big working breed after all.
View Quote
No lie there! I wonder how some people become judges in the first place.

Oh well, that will always be a problem in any activity that is judged, just look at the olympics.  Except that dog showing is even more political. [:)]
View Quote
You hit the nail on the head, bro.

If you are heading up to the Bay Area for any shows shoot me an email.  Good luck with your GSD.  My sister has a white one, they are beautiful dogs.  I could never own one though after watching the documentary War Dogs on Discover Channel.  I would be crying every day.
View Quote
Roger that!! I saw the same documentary. Handlers couldn't talk about leaving their team mate in country without getting choked up, even after over 25 years.
I'll definately keep you in mind next trip up north.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Triumph actually just showed up to poop on her.

We actually had a banner weekend, our youngest girl won her first major today, I guess she wanted to perform so we wouldn't spay her. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top