Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 11:20:32 AM EDT
As an American, do you feel we the people are truly free? Or are we secretly all living in ignorance?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm married. What do you think?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont think we are as free as the founders envisioned, and I think we are losing freedoms by the day (obamacare anyone?). However we are nowhere near the levels of opression that many in this world see. I can move about the country, live wherever I want, and spent my money on pretty much anything I want so long as I have the means and cash to do so as well as come on here and bitch about the government with no fear of my door being kicked down by the NKVD and being sent to a camp for political dissidents.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm missing too much of my paycheck to feel free. And if I don't allow them to take it, the guys with shiny badges and handcuffs will pay me a visit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I do.

But I have a feeling that we have never really had to feel the pressure of the Federal Gov. come down on most of us.

We all sit and watch people who test the limits of what they feel they can do.  Bootleggers, IRS dodgeres, Class III makers or drug dealers.

Everyone kinda sits back and says, "Well they should have known better"...  

But for the most part no large portion of the population has had to deal with massive intrution into their lives.

It's always some small group that seems to be "acting out".
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
debt is making me feel less free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Not as free as I used to be.

I miss leaving the keys in the car, windows down, on main street.

If your car was blocking someone in the person wanting out just got in and moved it.

Never locking the front door of the house.

Talking to the next door neighbor. On both sides.

Being able to leave something sitting out in the open and having it be there when I came back.

When 12:00 noon came around everyone went to lunch.

Sunday was every body's day off. Restaurants were open because they wanted to be.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dont think we are as free as the founders envisioned, and I think we are losing freedoms by the day (obamacare anyone?). However we are nowhere near the levels of opression that many in this world see. I can move about the country, live wherever I want, and spent my money on pretty much anything I want so long as I have the means and cash to do so as well as come on here and bitch about the government with no fear of my door being kicked down by the NKVD and being sent to a camp for political dissidents.

I agree...we're not free, but we're better off than the rest of the world...which is why they want us brought down...why Obama thinks his mandate is to "manage the decline of the USA"...the worst thing is property taxes; the founding fathers knew that private property was necessary for true freedom, now with property taxes we're sharecroppers renting our land and homes from the government...property taxes should be illegal...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As an American, do you feel we the people are truly free? Or are we secretly all living in ignorance?

Define "truly free" and "living in ignorance".  Are the polar extremes of anarchy and totalitarian subjugation the only two options?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Free, hah!  We have no idea what free is.  Now relatively compared to other countries we would be considered free.

But to answer you question, not only do I not "feel" free, I "know" I am not free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hell no. We are not far from being common subjects.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Cue the Joplin song...

Freedom is really a state of mind. So long as I'm free to go about my business armed, I feel pretty free. I'm irritated by the amount of BS I have to go through and the tax burden and the BS laws and regulations I have to follow, but when it comes right down to it, nobody can violate my rights  without risking a gunfight so I feel pretty free, I just wish I didn't have to tolerate quite so much petty tyranny simply because it isn't worth resisting.

The day they deny me that ultimate veto power is the day it's on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Except for the relentless oppression and crushing control of SIte Staff and the mods, yes.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Good question. I would say yes. I can do whatever I want.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel less free every day when a lying leftist anti-freedom scumbag like obummer is infesting the WhiteHouse.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I am free.

My family came to this country (before it was a country, really) due to the fact that we were not free to practice our religion.

We were stymied by a stale and rigid social hierarchy.  

We wanted the opportunity to work hard and be rewarded for it.

We wanted to chose what we read, with whom we spoke, and we retained the right to question authority.

We came here to contribute.

Those values remain today.  Yes, some people get a free ride.  Some are a drag on us all.  It does NOT "take all types".

Not everyone is created equal in our abilities or our drive.

What remains, though, is you still have opportunity in this country to make a good life for yourself and your family.

Did someone determine what you would do for a living?  Whom you would marry?  Where you would live?  What religion you belong to or practice?  What books you can (or can not) read?

Today, for instance,  I voted in my small town.  I exercised my rights and (partly because my town is tiny) I know I counted.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]
As I sit here on my porch, surfing Arfcom, smoking a cigar, drinking a beer, with my .45 on my hip watching my daughter ride her bicycle down the street, yeah, I consider myself both lucky and free.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, but only to a point.

I know and understand that we are one of the nations that has the most Freedom, and that there are a LOT out there that are not free, or a lot less free than us.  THAT, doesn't matter to me.

I don't feel we are as free as we SHOULD be, as I only feel that it is right to compare the US to the US.  I have no interest in comparing the US to China, Yugoslavia, Russia, etc.

Comparing our level of Freedom NOW, to where we are supposed to be tells me that we are not entirely free.  We only keep getting less, and less free as time goes on.

That is unacceptable to me.

It doesn't matter to me so much where we are right now, but the direction we are headed in.  By the time we get to "Not Free", it's too fucking late.

Unacceptable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#19]
compared to the rest of the world yes

compared to even just 20 years ago no
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#20]
America - land of the fee.

Tell me what you really can do without a license or permit of some sort?  It's getting to be a pretty short damned list...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I truly do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Go live in Europe or the ME for a few years and ask yourself the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
not as long as i pay 40%+ of my wages into taxes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
...not when I see my toilet only has a 1.6 gallon flush.
...not when I see that my car has a minimum required miles per gallon.
...not when I look at my paycheck breakdown.
...not when I try to buy a gun without asking permission.
...not when I try to buy sudafed without asking permission.
...not when I received both of my children's social security cards within 3 weeks of their births.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Free-ish and under a clear and present threat of losing that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

FUCK NO!!!  

I'm currently reading Judge Andrew P. Napolitano's latest book, Lies The Government Told You - Myth, Power, and Deception in American History.  It is a powerful read, and only the Dave_A's of the world have a skewed enough sense of "freedom" to attempt to argue with Napolitano's reasoning.  We are nothing but slaves.  Income tax, property tax, and welfare programs are the whips, shackles, and chains of the modern slave owner.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
not nearly as free as an American as I felt 40 years ago
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
kind of.  Until I pay property tax.  

The idea of the goverment requiring rent because I own land.  Really chaps my ass.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]

The only times I don't feel free is when I turn my TV on and get hammered with opinionated bullshit from every side.

Or when I get hammered by the bullshit of advertising, the bullshit of holier-than-thous. and the bullshit of anyone who thinks they know what's best for everyone else.

Other than that, yeah, pretty much free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#30]
No.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Well we were rated what 9th? In personal and economic freedom in the whole world. I guess it could be worse here but its surprising none the less that were not number 1.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK NO!!!  

I'm currently reading Judge Andrew P. Napolitano's latest book, Lies The Government Told You - Myth, Power, and Deception in American History.  It is a powerful read, and only the Dave_A's of the world have a skewed enough sense of "freedom" to attempt to argue with Napolitano's reasoning.  We are nothing but slaves.  Income tax, property tax, and welfare programs are the whips, shackles, and chains of the modern slave owner.

Your bringing me down , Marine.    I agree aslo.  I wan born in the wrong state.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]
No.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I think we all enjoy great personal freedom.  One of the great things about this place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I will let Glenn Beck answer that for me.  What's today, Tuesday?  GB is going to drop a Nuke on Washington this afternoon.  Ask me later.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#36]

I used to feel quite free. I'm old enough to remember true freedom.

Today, not only are my freedoms under attack, there are social pressures to conform that did not exist in the past.

Example:

1) guns in cars at school. We used to make deer foot gun racks for the back window of our pickups. Now, people get thrown in jail for having a gun in the car in the school parking lot.

2) Off road vehicles. It used to be that free travel was the norm. Land that belonged to the state or federal government was OK for jeeps, dirt bikes, trucks. Now, it's a federal offense to venture off road in protected areas. The entire state of NJ of off limits to off road travel.

3) Social pressures as to what's acceptable. Sailing and golf are OK. Yet, something as simple as jet ski's are evil, global warming monsters, and therefore become heavily regulated in many areas. Yet, it's fine to run your bass boat through the fish breeding grounds.

4) Flying. Getting on an airline is an exercise in constitutional violations.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I think we all enjoy great personal freedom.  One of the great things about this place.

By "this place" do you mean Texas?

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Not really free. More like less oppressed than others.

If I'm not hurting anyone leave me the fuck alone, I'm tired of the "show me your papers" asshats. I would also like to be able to actually own my land someday instead of renting it from the king.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#39]
We are lead to believe we are free by the exercise of ineffectual freedoms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top