Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 2:41:29 PM EDT
My wife is Taiwanese as is my best friend wife {we fixed them up}. My wife speaks English, and does not expect people to learn her language.

Anyway, my friend told me this story. My best friends name is Dan, and his wife's name is Sue. They both work for the USPS.

In the city in GA where they live, and work there is a large population of Mexicans that work in the factory's.

Steve and his wife had to attend a meeting after work one day. In the meeting their boss said that it would be mandatory that everyone in that district had to learn to  speak Spanish, and there would be classes for them to attend.

At that point Steve's little Asian wife stood up to speak. She said," The country I came from is  Taiwan". "Over there we speak Mandarin Chinese"." When I knew that I wanted to come to the United States I learned to speak English".

She went on to say, "English is the language here in the United States, not Spanish. I won't be comming to any of these classes. "

Steve told me that the mandatory class for teaching Spanish kinda went away after that. He went on to say that he had never been more proud of his wife
before that day.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I always find it a bit unsettling when people are proud of a commitment to remain ignorant about something.

One guy who was one of my best friends in high school is proud of being ignorant about firearms.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the point was that she chose to learn how to speak English since English is our language here, not Spanish. She didn't want to be forced to learn
a different language.

There are some things I would like to know more about, but being force to learn them would not work with me. However, there are things I don't really care
to learn about. Some things just don't interest me, and never will, such as reading a biography of the potentate who is currently our president.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I always find it a bit unsettling when people are proud of a commitment to remain ignorant about something.

One guy who was one of my best friends in high school is proud of being ignorant about firearms.

Is it unsettling when your tax dollars go toward something discretionary to make a selective group of people feel special to everyone else's detriment?

Oh wait, I just saw your member name.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool Story Bro?

All I know is if I decide to pass up required training from my job, I would wind up in the unemployment line.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm with the OP on this one. I think what the lady did was an outstanding display of Americanism.

My grandparents came here from Italy and Hungary, they were glad that America took them in and made damn sure their children learned our language.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in high school I thought it would be a great idea to take spanish for 3 years since I knew I was going to work in hotels here in AZ. I thought I was awesome for the first few years out of HS being able to speak to all the housekeepers and groundsmen. Then I realized how I was making things worse and not furthering their need to learn English. From that day its been a big joke that when a spanish speaking employee or guest will come to the desk and say "Speake Spanish?" I say that I do not and 9 times out of 10 they will continue on in English well enough to be understood. Rarely is the case when a spanish speaking guest will come by that doesnt speak English in some form, I will use my spanish at that point however, but NOT with employees.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Good on her. Although had it been a white guy, the race card would've come out. To California_Kid, if I moved to Mexico do you think they would learn to speak English to accommodate me? Or do you think that I, having made the choice to move there should learn their native language?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell him to IM me and I will buy them lunch or dinner at the local of their choice. It seems it takes someone that really appreciates the US to make the point.
We are beset on all sides by Sheeple.
Bravo and my hat is off to her.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell her she has a new friend.  Whether codified or not, English is the official language here.  Do not expect me to waste my time accommodating your lack of initiative or unwillingness to learn our language.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the beauty of it was the fact that she was Asian, they couldn't do a thing to her, she had them.

I agree with what someone else said, if I go to another country I wouldn't expect them the change the damned language to accommodate me.

In fact any intelligent person would try to learn the language of the country that they plan to work, or live in.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My wife is Taiwanese as is my best friend wife {we fixed them up}. My wife speaks English, and does not expect people to learn her language.

Anyway, my friend told me this story. My best friends name is Dan, and his wife's name is Sue. They both work for the USPS.

In the city in GA where they live, and work there is a large population of Mexicans that work in the factory's.

Steve and his wife had to attend a meeting after work one day. In the meeting their boss said that it would be mandatory that everyone in that district had to learn to  speak Spanish, and there would be classes for them to attend.

At that point Steve's little Asian wife stood up to speak. She said," The country I came from is  Taiwan". "Over there we speak Mandarin Chinese"." When I knew that I wanted to come to the United States I learned to speak English".

She went on to say, "English is the language here in the United States, not Spanish. I won't be comming to any of these classes. "

Steve told me that the mandatory class for teaching Spanish kinda went away after that. He went on to say that he had never been more proud of his wife

before that day.

HELL YES!!!  Give that lady the I Love America award!!

F-U-C-K!!  M-E-X-I-C-O!!!!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
No necesitamos otro hilo sobre este tema?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top