Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 9:00:11 AM EDT
I just saw this for the second time.

With more chances to concentrate on details, this came to mind.

When the D boys and the SAW gunner were going in on foot at night, they had helmet mounted NVGs, but they were monocular, ie the vision of both eyes was enhanced through a single NV lens.

How do you use weapon sights with a cyclops-type setup?

THanks.    
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You don't use the AN/PVS 7's and your weapons sights at the same time. You either point shoot or use an infrared laser designator-you'll be used to seeing these in the pictures from Afghanistan-it a rectangular box mounted to the front of many of the M-4's and other weapons in use there.
View Quote

PAQ-4. Pretty fun toys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've also heard talk of infra red tracers, but I have never had there use or existence substantiated.

Tim
View Quote

The Army developed a "dim" tracer, the M996 for 5.56mm, distiguished by a violet tip. The "trace" is still visible to the naked eye, but has less tendency to cause bloom or washout when using night vision devices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top