Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 4:50:15 PM EDT
... woo hoo, I'm gonna have to get a pass.
[url]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0311shooting11.html[/url]
[img]http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/gifs/0311shooting.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Winston, have you seen their brochure?? Oh My Gowd!!! SWEEET!!!

A couple CrossRoad shows ago, they had a table with the details and asking people to sign up early. I was very, very tempted to sign up for the "titanium" package. There were only limited openings left back then. Their plan was to only have 300 titanium members, period. After that you could sell you membership or will it to your benificiaries after you died, seriously, that is what they guy said.

For the following prices, they better wipe your butt for you when you are done...

Pre-Grand Opening Specials:
$5,000 one time initiation fee up until the ground breaking ceremony
$7,500 one time initiation fee until the first 100 Titanium memberships are signed up
$10,000 one time initiation fee thereafter

The number of Titanium memberships are limited to 300.

The monthly dues are $250; there is no monthly payment until the Grand Opening

Annual prepayment of the monthly dues is possible and will result in a discount of $200 giving annual dues of only $2,200 instead of $2,400

Titanium memberships can be transferred or sold. Should a member opt to transfer or sell a membership there is an administration fee of $250 to the Scottsdale Gun Club. If a member wishes to have SGC sell their membership the Club will sell 2 new Titanium memberships and the next sale will then be that of the Member, there is an administrative fee of $500 for this resale.
View Quote

[i]I put the commas in the prices, just to make easier to read, and understand [:D][/i]

You can check out the details at [url=http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/]The Scottsdale Gun Club[/url]

Edited to fix formating.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I sorta prefer gun clubs without commas in the prices...
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
... just around the corner from Mike Dillons place too.

... damn, why could't I have been born rich instead of handsom?
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They have a less expensive membership for people like myself.
$250 Initial payment, $20/month after.
I was actually looking at their brochure this evening while eating dinner. My wife hid the brochure, but she's out of town and I found it while organizing. I better sign up before she come back and I become weak again. I keep telling myself,"It's better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission."
[url]www.scottsdalegunclub.com[/url]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
HOLY SHITZU BATMAN, they have Vince Perez teaching Martial Arts for them. This dude is a badass. Saw him at an Arnis seminar in Palm Springs a few years back and he really know his shit. We're talking grappling to stand up duking it out. That seminar cost me $200 for the day, I can only imagine how much they are paying the dude. That is definitely THE gun club.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit. That's it. I'm moving to Arizona.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]"HOLY SHITZU BATMAN, they have Vince Perez teaching Martial Arts for them. This dude is a badass. Saw him at an Arnis seminar in Palm Springs a few years back and he really know his shit. We're talking grappling to stand up duking it out. That seminar cost me $200 for the day, I can only imagine how much they are paying the dude. That is definitely THE gun club."[/b]

Maybe he's good at Arnis but his credentials are a joke. The certifications he has received are from well known hucksters or just plain ol nobodies. Some rich guy looking for a casual martial arts class won't know the difference. But [b]I[/b] would ! Damn it, I wonder if there hiring ? Maybe if I kicked his ass they would ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I sure hope this place is run better than most other businesses In Snobsdale. Everything is SOOO high priced there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Wish I could get a part time job there!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#11]
[b]"This could encourage possible terrorists to get weapons, join clubs and do this exact thing," she said. "Is there a screening process? I don't think this is the best thing to do in the world of September 11."[/b]

Can we EVER read a progun piece in a newspaper without seeing this kind of drivel?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Greetings Dungus,

it would be nice of you to drop by the Scottsdale Gun Club to demonstrate your point of view and perhaps you could use this opportunity to elucidate Vince's alledged "bogus" credentials - so far all of his students (including "bogus" police and government agencies) have been happy with him.

-AW.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Hello SinistralRifleman,

the [url=http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com]Scottsdale Gun Club[/url] was on the news again today, with Channel 12 reporting on the [url=http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/MachinegunAdventures/Description.html]Machinegun Adventures[/url] in the extreme sports part. It is airing all day.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw the article in this morning's paper.

What an awesome gun club!!!

What awesome prices!!! [shock]

Quoted:
Gerry Anderson find another state, we don't want you here!
View Quote

Please keep him there. We don't want him either. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#15]
People, people.

The prices that I cut and pasted are for the [b][size=5][red]titanium[/red][/size=5][/b] membership. The MOST expensive membership. They do have [b]cheaper[/b] membership packages.

I am thinking of going up sometime this week, just to look around.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#16]
My bet is this will become the ultimate shooting club.  The people running this have a wealth of weapons experience and seem to have a grasp of business as well (something many gun  savvy people lack).

For myself, I found  the price of membership a bit high.  I might regret not joining, but with all the traveling I do, so far it is the right decision for me.  

There was also an article by EJ Montini's about the gunclub in todays AZ Repub.

[url]http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0312montini12.html[/url]

I considered writing a letter to the AZ Repub regarding EJ Montini but every one had profanity in it.  I gave up.

James
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Hello Jimmybcool,

thanks for the vote of confidence. I read the article by Mr. Montini and was surprised that my blood pressure didn't go up too much, but I'm certain that quite a few readers (especially vets - and he isn't one) will respond so I better not . Mr. Montini's article [intentionally] misrepresented the shoothouse as a play house; in reality it has been designed with LE and non-civilian use in the forefront and most of it's time is already reserved for such.

Ah well, -AW.

Quoted:
My bet is this will become the ultimate shooting club.  The people running this have a wealth of weapons experience and seem to have a grasp of business as well (something many gun  savvy people lack).

For myself, I found  the price of membership a bit high.  I might regret not joining, but with all the traveling I do, so far it is the right decision for me.  

There was also an article by EJ Montini's about the gunclub in todays AZ Repub.

[url]http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0312montini12.html[/url]

I considered writing a letter to the AZ Repub regarding EJ Montini but every one had profanity in it.  I gave up.

James
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I think what pissed me off  most about Montini was his statement that having fun is sick!  No one was hurt.  No animals (for PETA types) was hurt.  No damage was done to the ecology.  No harm to anything.  And some people had fun.  How in the hell is that sick?  Seems as if only APPROVED forms of entertainment are OK for sir Montini.

BTW, I was aware that many valid training purposes were the main reason for the site.  Still, even if it was just for FUN, why is it a problem for anyone?  Hell, I just don't get it.

I am also a bit confused.  Been out of country a few months.   Is the club open?  I didn't think groundbreaking had even happened yet.  And where is the martial arts teacher working?  Guess I need to stop in to the Armory and find out.

James
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
we aren't open as the SGC range facility, but as you know, we are also the Armory and have all of the fun machinegun toys PLUS our new ex-military HMMWV. Vince teaches a various schools and locations, the arnis/escrima/JKD/knife/stick classes are taught in the rooms of a martial arts studio in the Scottsdale airpark. We've also got a number of instructors for Aikido, Judo, Karate lined up.

Mr. Montini really was a bit silly about "having fun" and I'm sure the entire entertainment industry as well as tourist industry, from which our fair valley earns it's income, might have reason to disagree with him. And his "for the boys" approach should really get anybody's hackles up since he has never served yet piously pretends to talk for those who have.

Quoted:
I think what pissed me off  most about Montini was his statement that having fun is sick!  No one was hurt.  No animals (for PETA types) was hurt.  No damage was done to the ecology.  No harm to anything.  And some people had fun.  How in the hell is that sick?  Seems as if only APPROVED forms of entertainment are OK for sir Montini.

BTW, I was aware that many valid training purposes were the main reason for the site.  Still, even if it was just for FUN, why is it a problem for anyone?  Hell, I just don't get it.

I am also a bit confused.  Been out of country a few months.   Is the club open?  I didn't think groundbreaking had even happened yet.  And where is the martial arts teacher working?  Guess I need to stop in to the Armory and find out.

James
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
This place will be built about 1 1/2 miles from where I work-f**king cool. Could go pop off a few rounds at lunchtime. And E.J. Montini is a whiny liberal that should be castrated so that his genes are not passed onto future generations. He is the prototypical "I'm afraid of guns and can't trust myself with them anyhow, so YOU shouldn't be able to have them either" ball-less male.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Greetings Dungus,

it would be nice of you to drop by the Scottsdale Gun Club to demonstrate your point of view and perhaps you could use this opportunity to elucidate Vince's alledged "bogus" credentials - so far all of his students (including "bogus" police and government agencies) have been happy with him.

-AW.
View Quote

Yes, bogus was harsh, and I am not as well rounded as he his. However, when I see his experience listed what I see is a jack of all trades, master of possibly a few.

[b]"Instructor's Qualifications and Certifications
Bando Boxing - Brown Belt under Pat Findlay 1988"[/b]

Bando, or Burmese boxing is a ring sport and does not issue belts to my knowledge.

[b]"Full Contact Kickboxing - Over 120 non-sanctioned bouts."[/b]

120 non sanctioned bouts ? Interesting, I'd like to here more.

[b]"Full Contact Stick Fighting - Competitor in 1988 Doce Pares tournament, Jersey City, New Jersey (over 100 full-contact bouts)."[/b]

Don't know anything about stick fighting so very well could be true. Again, 100 full contact fights seems suspect (Where does he get the time to compete in all these non paying fights ?).

[b]Muay Thai - Certified Instructor under Ajarn Chai Sirisute, founder of the Thai Boxing Association of the USA 1991[/b]

Sirisute's certification is worthless and honored by nobody. Thai boxing Association of the USA is nonexistant. I've known people who have attended his seminars and came away extremely unimpressed. Back when MT was knew to the USA, Sirisute was the only game in town, not anymore. Again, like Bando, Muay Thai is a Ring Sport and the only way one could be certified to be a Kru is if they trained or fought in Thailand.

[b]Kali / Escrima- Certified instructor in the La Coste/Inosanto systems of Filipino Kali / Escrima / Arnis 1992[/b]

Again, not my thing.

[b]"Lameco Escrima- First “non-Filipino” invited to the late Punong Guro Edgar Sulite’s training sessions.
Penchak Silat - Certified instructor in Maphilindo / Madjapahit arts under Dan Inosanto- 1992
Penchak Silat - Student under Prof. Charles Joussot, Paris France 1992-1993. US representative for Setia Hati Terate and Ecole Charles Joussot 1994
Jeet Kune Do - Staff instructor at the Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts (1994) and personal student of Sifu Dan Inosanto 1987-present."[/b]

This is all stuff from the Inosanto academy, no competition experience listed. These guys make big claims but have little to show for it. Inosanto academy teaches Muay Thai, and their specialty JKD, however, I've never seen any of them win at competitions much less compete. Again I could be wrong, Silat and the knife fighting stuff is not my specialty, but it smacks of his other credentials. If I am wrong, I'd like to know more.

[b]"Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Personal student under Sifu Bryan Tufts.[/b]

Who is Bryan Tufts ? When did BJJ practitioners start calling their teachers sifu ? I'm guessing Vince is L.A. based, If so, there is a lot more well known BJJ guys to train with here. Why didn't he ? And what has he accomplished that makes you feel confident in making him your BJJ instructor ?

[b]"Combat Submission Grappling - Private training under UFC / Extreme Fighting legend, Erik Paulsen."[/b]

Not a qualification. I've sparred and trained with some big names, that doesn't make me a competent trainer.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
...got cut off

[b]"Another  
Additional training under:
Mano Leo Giron (Bahala Na Escrima)

Pa Herman Sewanda (Mande Muda Silat)

Cacoy and Dionisio Canete (Doce Pares Escrima)

Lucky and Ted Lucay (Panatukan)

Salem Assli (Savate)

Abdelkirim “Kimo” Fakiri (La Canne)

Dr. Muang Gyi (Bando)

Francis Fong (Wing Chun)

Wally Jay (Jiu Jitsu)[/b]

I'm gonna take a gamble and assume this was all seminar training ? I recognized Tat Wongs name, shameless shamster. Shaking someones hand, taking a picture with them, and maybe doing a few hours of work $300...listing their name on your resume ? Priceless.

Look, I'm sure Vince is a nice guy, a well rounded martial artist, and well respected. But listing him as an [b]authority[/b] on all these martial arts and having him as your sole instructor is spreading it a bit thin. If you are making a job offer, I'd be glad to demonstrate to you and to Vince high quality Muay Thai. I stand by that.

"ungus, you sound like a dork. If you would like to come kick my ass and get a job here, come on down. I'm not much of a fighter, but if you can dodge 750 rounds per min., you're going to be the new CEO of Cav Arms! Remember, wax-on, wax-off...."

If it's a CavArms product I'll take you up on that. Ouch...

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Garry,

Please let Shawn know - EXCELLENT letter.  I doubt it will ever see the light of day but that doesn't mean it isn't well written and well reasoned.

James
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Good morning Dungus,

thanks for the post [really!]- irrespective of whether or not I agree with your conclusions about Vince's Bio your subsequent post was so much better than a flat statement and challenge. I think we should agree to disagree and leave it at that, or continue our conversation in anothe or private thread.

Ciao, -SGC
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#27]
..I would imagine from what you wrote that you have taken to eating cold meals from a can and sleeping in your backyard in a tent until all of our boys come home....
View Quote

I think Shawn's letter was quite well written. I started writing a response late last night and once it reached 3 pages and contained about 20 book and web references I realized that nobody in their right mind would publish it as a reader letter and that others less directly involved in the subject matter would do a better job - as Shawn's letter proves. I certainly hope that they opt to publish it and will head out to the newsstand after posting this to see if it made it.

Regarding the exchanges in this thread based on Vince Perez-Mazzola's qualifications let's let it rest; the nice thing about opinions (IMHO) is that they are neither wrong nor right. And we'll let it rest there for this thread - which is about the firearms part of the [URL=http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/]Scottsdale Gun Club[/URL] and not the Dojo.

-AW.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]
No worries SGC. I wish your new club well and would like to visit some day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top