Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2017 7:14:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What happens when Spanish takes over as primary language?

But that would make a nice t-shirt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What does collective manner mean?

I can stockpile?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS is why we need to make ENGLISH the NATIONAL LANGUAGE!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd buy one 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Let’s not forget, this is America and reading is for faggots.

In cases where the above does not apply, reading is a tool for postmodernist marxist deconstruction to form new speak from venerated authorities by changing the longstanding definition of terms via stealth and deception.

Seriously, though, it’s time to (figuratively) go to the mattresses. It’s more important now that those on “our” side in positions of influence know our expectations (don’t give an inch) than our interpretation of the 2A (no matter how correct, in the plain meaning of the language it may be).

No step backward!

Not an inch!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't matter. They don't care.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
^ this.  They may as well run the Constitution through an NSA-rated paper shredder.  It has been replaced with something vaguely described as a "social contract."
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's what I use with liberals at parties and such- "A well educated populace, being essential to a thriving country, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed"

Question to liberal- Does this statement mean only "well educated people" get to keep and read books?

They stammer and stutter and try a different argument.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here's what I use with liberals at parties and such- "A well educated populace, being essential to a thriving country, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed"

Question to liberal- Does this statement mean only "well educated people" get to keep and read books?

View Quote
That's one I've never seen, simple and effective.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd buy that shirt
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#12]
My liberal friend that has an AR and a bump stock will argue that, even though it says shall not be infringed, the same people that wrote the constitution also regulated the storage of gun power in buildings.  Because of this, no matter what the 2nd says about shall not, apparently any regulation is fair game.  He is also for registration even though he admits it will only assist after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately, the USSC doesn't give a damn about sentence structure.
Heller "completely detached" the right secured by the Second Amendment from the language of the amendment.

The case held that self-defense is the "central component" of the right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Diagramming sentences brings back bad 6th grade memories.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heller "completely detached" the right secured by the Second Amendment from the language of the amendment.

View Quote
It wouldn't be so bad if they had just expanded the lawful understanding to include self defense from individuals along with self defense from a bad government. 

I fear we will be left with only low capacity handguns being legally recognized as protected by the 2nd.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd buy that shirt
View Quote
Yep.  Not that I wear t shirts much.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. One brick at a time!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I like it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote
Good looking pistol in your avatar
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#21]
In my mind the 2nd Amendment is and has always been about being able to resist and oppressive government.   Clarifying that I have a right to self defense begs the question, do I have a right to breathe air if that right wasn't codified by SCOTUS?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I fear we will be left with only low capacity handguns being legally recognized as protected by the 2nd.
View Quote
You mean Saturday Night Specials?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I think everything should be written out like that all the time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Clarifying that I have a right to self defense begs the question, do I have a right to breathe air if that right wasn't codified by SCOTUS?
View Quote
You have the right to breathe anything the government tells you to breathe, including hydrogen cyanide.  It's just that it's very difficult for them to herd people into gas chambers when they're shooting at them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they had just expanded the lawful understanding to include self defense from individuals along with self defense from a bad government. 

View Quote
You have to keep up.

Stun guns have been classified as "arms" protected by the Second Amendment for self-defense purposes. See Caetano. So long as the government allows the unwashed masses to possess stun guns the right to self-defense will be held to have been fulfilled. Lethal objects such as handguns are not required.

As far as defense against the government, the courts have spoken. "But self-defense, not revolution, 'is the central component of the Second Amendment.' "Hollis v. Lynch (citation omitted).
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m going to start using this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I have never understood where the cognitive disconnect is. Libs do mental gymnastics to pretend that there is ambiguity in the 2A.

'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, ... '
View Quote
The above is a narrative comment. It is stating the rationale in advance of the declarative statement.

[i]' ... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.'['i]
View Quote
The function and effect of the statement is the US Government officially recognizes the citizens' RIGHT to keep and bear arms; as specifically enumerated. It can't be more clear.

If one wanted to argue that the rationale for declaring the right is no longer valid, that mere argument or opinion cannot un-enumerate the right. That argument would have to be tabled at a Constitutional Convention. Trying to author and pass laws that are in direct opposition to enumerated rights is nothing more than tantruming children wanting to ignore the rules they don't like.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd buy one 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd buy one 
Me too
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Throw the sentence diagram away. Nobody is persuading anybody with that.

The 2nd Amendment is a means to an end.

The means: Protection against  government interference with "the right to keep and bear arms."

The end: Encouraging the existence of a citizenry armed in military fashion,   i.e., "the well-regulated militia," to "secure" the continued existence of "a free state."

The 2nd Amendment is thoroughly martial in character and has worked quite well in application. Asking the question "what is it for" anwers the question "what does it do."

A modern writer would write "A well-regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state. Therfore, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
On the bright side, Gorsuch has been known to include sentence diagrams in his rulings in order to make his point to idiots:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trumps-supreme-court-nominee-neil-gorsuch-judicial-views-2017-2
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#32]
That will go into the desktop background rotation. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Diagramming sentences brings back bad 6th grade memories.
View Quote
I don't remember ever doing that [shrugs]...
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use an even simpler version with the same results.

"A well read electorate, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

And then I ask them who the electorate is in the context of this sentence.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I very nearly failed this part of English. What was it, 6th or 7th grade? 8th maybe?

...fuck that diagramming bullshit and whoever invented it and whoever looks like them or drives the same car.
View Quote
This guy fayled enlgish class seven or 8 times
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.  Not that I wear t shirts much.
View Quote
Agreed

I have SiCO, Glock, etc. I wear them when working around the house so I guess it defeats the political message
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly.  And even then, it's not an infringement it's a "reasonable restriction".  
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally, Americans viewed a standing army as a danger to freedom.  As expressed in the debates about Madison’s Bill of Rights, a well armed and well regulated militia composed of the body of the people is the best security for freedom.

The militia is composed of all citizen freemen, and all freemen are duty bound to arm themselves.  This view is descended from the Anglosaxon fyrd of our ethnic British heritage.  The American militia is formed by two broad components: select and general.  The select militia are organized units supposed to rapidly respond to emergencies and form the core of the wider militia.  The remaining freemen are part of the unorganized, general militia.  

It is up to elected governments to provide the rules and training of the militia that make it well regulated.  Poor training and rules lacking command damaged the Americans’ campaigns in the Seven Years War, and caused hardship during the Revolution.  Americans must arm ourselves with weapons strong enough to defeat those that could be used against us by enemies foreign and domestic.

By the time the American Bill of Rights was ratified the majority of Americans were very safe from the dangers of indigenous attack or British oppression.  The Second Amendment was for the general and individual defense of the public, especially against bad government.  By the way, many American law enforcement agencies today resemble a standing army far more than a police force.

TLDR: Freedom is hard, it’s not for the lazy: suppressors, machine guns, and rockets for all.

xylo:Here's what I use with liberals at parties and such- "A well educated populace, being essential to a thriving country, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed"

View Quote
Neat!

But can I store sarin gas, small pox, and high explosives next to my lawn mower in my shed conveniently located closer to my neighbor's house than mine?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Don't let them fool you OP.
The Left knows damn well what it means.

Why do you think they are so afraid of it?
Why do you think they want to abolish it?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
On the bright side, Gorsuch has been known to include sentence diagrams in his rulings in order to make his point to idiots:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trumps-supreme-court-nominee-neil-gorsuch-judicial-views-2017-2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet that he regards the "interpretation" of the Second Amendment announced in Heller as settled law.
If he didn't, I don't think he would have been nominated or confirmed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#41]
All that i remember about sentence diagrams is that i hated them in 5th grade.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let’s not forget, this is America and reading is for faggots.

In cases where the above does not apply, reading is a tool for postmodernist marxist deconstruction to form new speak from venerated authorities by changing the longstanding definition of terms via stealth and deception

Seriously, though, it’s time to (figuratively) go to the mattresses. It’s more important now that those on “our” side in positions of influence know our expectations (don’t give an inch) than our interpretation of the 2A (no matter how correct, in the plain meaning of the language it may be).

No step backward!

Not an inch!
View Quote
primuspilum knows his enemy. This is exactly who we're fighting and their attack against the 2A isn't the only front in this war. The fight against the 1A is being waged simultaneously. They make no bones about it. What happens on the 2A front if they effectively destroy our ability to be heard?

I listened to someone on the news who (iirc) is a local politician in Portland, ME going after the 15A. That fight is meant to give groups of their choosing more rights than others.

Newspeak, Ingsoc, Thought Police, Memory Hole; the left is making it happen. This country was duped into electing a Cult of Personality in Obama ffs.

The result won't be pretty if the people who represent us in the fight to protect the 2A keep caving every time some crackpot uses a gun in committing an atrocity.

The NRA better wake the fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats where "well regulated" comes in. It has nothing to do with regulation. I believe it means well equipped.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

primuspilum knows his enemy. This is exactly who we're fighting and their attack against the 2A isn't the only front in this war. The fight against the 1A is being waged simultaneously. They make no bones about it. What happens on the 2A front if they effectively destroy our ability to be heard?

I listened to someone on the news who (iirc) is a local politician in Portland, ME going after the 15A. That fight is meant to give groups of their choosing more rights than others.

Newspeak, Ingsoc, Thought Police, Memory Hole; the left is making it happen. This country was duped into electing a Cult of Personality in Obama ffs.

The result won't be pretty if the people who represent us in the fight to protect the 2A keep caving every time some crackpot uses a gun in committing an atrocity.

The NRA better wake the fuck up.
View Quote
When people say that the NRA only gives a shit about fudds, this is what they mean when they are saying it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What does collective manner mean?

I can stockpile?
View Quote
See "gun collection."
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My liberal friend that has an AR and a bump stock will argue that, even though it says shall not be infringed, the same people that wrote the constitution also regulated the storage of gun power in buildings.  Because of this, no matter what the 2nd says about shall not, apparently any regulation is fair game.  He is also for registration even though he admits it will only assist after the fact.
View Quote
It was only for large amounts of BP, which is an explosive unlike smokeless, and people also lived in wood houses, heated with fire, and used fire to light their houses as they didn't have electricity. It's like arguing food should be stored in a town refrigerator because they didn't have refrigerators then. 

Back then there were many privately owned warships and cannons. That's the modern day equivalent of nukes, missiles, and heavy artillery. It was the pinnacle of arms at the time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#47]
This Bernadine Smith lady seems cool.

Bio
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine's similar, and I add, and is this right only applicable in a library or school?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thats where "well regulated" comes in. It has nothing to do with regulation. I believe it means well equipped.
View Quote
It means properly instructed and trained in military skills.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top