Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2013 3:06:30 PM EDT
I ordered mine yesterday, can't wait to check it out:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Looks like they've yanked the 3 free months of Netflix on the promo - but it's still a pretty killer deal for $35
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Judging by your avatar, i will assume you are in my age bracket, and while I agree 35 bucks is an easy entry point,

I really see no need

btw conkers bad fur day was one of the better games on the 64
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Judging by your avatar, i will assume you are in my age bracket, and while I agree 35 bucks is an easy entry point,

I really see no need

View Quote

Conker kicks ass

I think it'll be extremely handy. I don't have an internet connected device in my bedroom - so I'll be able to play netflix and stuff on the TV back there now - and traveling, in the hotel room, take it to work and use on the tv there, etc....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a good review on amazon from a dev.
Looks promising. And it's cheap as hell. 4 week wait right now though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No, because I already own an Apple TV (and an iPad, and an iPhone and a MBP, all of which use Apple's "Airplay").

But if I didn't, I'd be all over this, because the functionality really is cool (I've come to take it for granted), and price can't be beat.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I should have mine in hand tomorrow.  I didn't know they yanked the Netflix part of it though.  Eh, I'll play with it next week to see if I really like it, but for $35 I can live with the mistake if it sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I should have mine in hand tomorrow.  I didn't know they yanked the Netflix part of it though.  Eh, I'll play with it next week to see if I really like it, but for $35 I can live with the mistake if it sucks donkey balls.
View Quote

mine shipped earlier today, google said that if you ordered before 1300 Pacific today, you should still be eligible for the Netflix promotion.

I figured the same, it's worth the (small) gamble for the $35 - I was already contemplating picking up a Roku box for the bedroom anyway.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, because I already own an Apple TV (and an iPad, and an iPhone and a MBP, all of which use Apple's "Airplay").

But if I didn't, I'd be all over this, because the functionality really is cool, and price can't be beat.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
mine shipped earlier today, google said that if you ordered before 1300 Pacific today, you should still be eligible for the Netflix promotion.

I figured the same, it's worth the (small) gamble for the $35 - I was already contemplating picking up a Roku box for the bedroom anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have Roku on every TV in the house, and stream from a Plex server running on an old Mac Mini.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Conker kicks ass

I think it'll be extremely handy. I don't have an internet connected device in my bedroom - so I'll be able to play netflix and stuff on the TV back there now - and traveling, in the hotel room, take it to work and use on the tv there, etc....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really see no need

Conker kicks ass

an xbox with xbmc or a htpc would be infinately more useful to me , and any 35 dollar wireless bridge could reach your bedroom

the plug and play looks handy, but it relies on wireless, and seems gimmicky to me at first glance
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered mine through Amazon. It is supposed to be here Monday
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is still in the "Shipping Now" phase of Amazon's processing.  I am supposed to have it tomorrow by 8pm.  I am definitely going to have $35 bucks of fun geeking out with this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Kill your TV.

Paying to be data mined.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But if I didn't, I'd be all over this, because the functionality really is cool, and price can't be beat.

What you bought, it really just another implementation of a technology that Apple has been using for a while with "Airplay". For the past couple of years, all I've ever needed to do to mirror what I'm watching on my tablet, phone or laptop, is press a button. Bam. There it is, on the big screen.

BTW, Apple didn't exactly invent the idea, either. This has been possible for quite a while (WiDi and DLNA come to mind). Apple just made it so easy, your grandma could figure it out. And now, so has Google. Welcome to the party.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

an xbox with xbmc or a htpc would be infinately more useful to me , and any 35 dollar wireless bridge could reach your bedroom

the plug and play looks handy, but it relies on wireless, and seems gimmicky to me at first glance
View Quote

My understanding is you pair the Chromecast with your WiFi network and it takes direction from your device of choice, but handles all the data on its own.

I have an Xbox and a PS3, but they're on my entertainment center in my den - I don't see this replacing either of those, but I'm really interested in what it can do.

Looks like it's going to work with Google's Play Music service, too, which kicks ass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What you bought, it really just another implementation of a technology that Apple has been using for a while with "Airplay". For the past couple of years, all I've ever needed to do to mirror what I'm watching on my tablet, phone or laptop, is press a button. Bam. There it is, on the big screen.    

BTW, Apple didn't exactly invent the idea, either. This has been possible for quite a while (WiDi and DLNA come to mind). Apple just made it so easy, your grandma could figure it out. And now, so has Google. Welcome to the party.
View Quote

I'm well aware, just giving you shit for being an apple fanboy.

My TV and Laptop both are WiDi equipped, I've used that feature for a while now too. I do most of my Netflix/Amazon/NHL Gamecenter streaming through the Xbox now - but I do travel quite a bit and I think this will be really nice to have on the road, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up two from BestBuy today. So easy my girlfriend could use it.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully someone will crack one soon. I have a fairly large zfs pool with all of my movies, music,  & other data on.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hopefully someone will crack one soon. I have a fairly large zfs pool with all of my movies, music,  & other data on.
View Quote
I'm in the middle of building a NAS (ZFS and all), and I plan on just using Plex and a Roku. I could just as easily encode all of my shit such that it winds up in my iTunes library (which would naturally be available to my Apple TV), but...meh.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered one, for the $, it's disposable.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

As much of a pain in the ass that learning Solaris with Trusted Extensions was, I really enjoyed playing around with the ZFS in Solaris 10.  I guess I really need to build a NAS for the house.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Intredasting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I am debating on picking one up.  We use a lot of web-based video services, and while a laptop hooked up to my big screen works pretty well, I would like a cleaner and handier way to do it.

And yeah, with a 360, PS3, older WD TV box, and the laptop in the mix, my entertainment center could use one more device!    At least this one is itty bitty...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not some sort of brilliant innovation but rather a natural path for technology to take. Media players have been around for years now to provide basically the same functionality, they just weren't completely wireless. I was using my brother's PS3 while he was deployed to play movies from my computer to my TV over my wifi network years ago.

Apple may have made it simpler and more marketable, but despite your disclaimer in the second paragraph I think you still give them a little too much love and credit. It's like talking up the virtues of the guys that invented the torx bit and how great it is when it's not really that big a deal considering hex key type bits aren't all that different and have been around for a long time. I don't mean to come off as antagonistic. You're just a dirty Apple fanboy!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems do do most of what the apps built into my TV already do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As much of a pain in the ass that learning Solaris with Trusted Extensions was, I really enjoyed playing around with the ZFS in Solaris 10.  I guess I really need to build a NAS for the house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love having the ability to increase the overall zpool size.  Just order another set of drives and create an additional raidz* array and add it to the zpool.

ETA: grammar
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I ordered mine yesterday, can't wait to check it out:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Looks like they've yanked the 3 free months of Netflix on the promo - but it's still a pretty killer deal for $35
View Quote

Ordered mine yesterday when they still had the special.  Hadn't seen it on Amazon so I ordered it from google.  No idea when I'll get it but they charged me last night for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Does this plug into a HDMI port ? Or is it USB. I take it then has an interface on screen where you can connect it to your wireless.

I like my Roku. I also have Xbox 360 for streaming my library. I like to do it with the Roku and Plex. However I don't like the format. Its really jacked up compared to the Xbox using the same sever.

Right now I have one folder with several sub folders. Example Three Stooges, Star Trek, Sci Fi, Horror ect ect. They get all lumped together in Plex. I either have my settings wrong or need to take out the sub folders from the main one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. Suppose you're watching a cool video on your Nexus tablet. And you think to yourself "Self? This would be cool, on the big screen". You press a button, and BAM. There it is, in all it's glory.

Also, it's easier to navigate a tablet, than it is to fuck with entering search terms using a remote.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope. Suppose you're watching a cool video on your Nexus tablet. And you think to yourself "Self? This would be cool, on the big screen". You press a button, and BAM. There it is, in all it's glory.    

Also, it's easier to navigate a tablet, than it is to fuck with entering search terms using a remote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'll give it a try.  Ordered from google.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does this plug into a HDMI port ? Or is it USB. I take it then has an interface on screen where you can connect it to your wireless.

I like my Roku. I also have Xbox 360 for streaming my library. I like to do it with the Roku and Plex. However I don't like the format. Its really jacked up compared to the Xbox using the same sever.

Right now I have one folder with several sub folders. Example Three Stooges, Star Trek, Sci Fi, Horror ect ect. They get all lumped together in Plex. I either have my settings wrong or need to take out the sub folders from the main one.
View Quote

it's HDMI and it uses a micro USB to charge, I think.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This pretty much sums it up. You can "cast" your chrome browser tab to your tv also.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that Apple kept Airplay hobbled by tying it to iTunes rather than just opening it up and allowing anything to connect as a display.
They are trying to keep it in the family (Macbook, iPhone, iPad) - stupid. It will die because of that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Shit I still have a crt TV lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]
To be honest, i want to spend more time unplugging, than being more connected. Things are starting to get out of control with all the hi tech stay connected things they have going on these days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shit I still have a crt TV lol
View Quote

Pussy!  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kill your TV.

Paying to be data mined.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Ordered it.  Hope xda devs find a means of rooting it and unleashing hell.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#38]
for $15 or so more you could have a MK802IIIs and have full on android on your TV and watch all that and have access to the internet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
for $15 or so more you could have a MK802IIIs and have full on android on your TV and watch all that and have access to the internet.
View Quote

I've got one.  This serves a different purpose.  If it works as they describe I'll be able to display things from my computer, phone, tablet, or chromebook.   Huge potential (or flop) depending on how it works.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill your TV.

Paying to be data mined.

Are we supposed to take anything Merrell says completely seriously?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty interesting, ordered one last night.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#42]
tag

this looks to be freaking AWESOME..... and will free up my RaspberryPi for other than Netflix duty
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#43]
This Week in Google had a really good discussion about what makes this different from other Android sticks and why this technology is so exciting.  

http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/208

I was also excited to lean that streaming from your desktop, outside of the chrome browser, is possible.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This Week in Google had a really good discussion about what makes this different from other Android sticks and why this technology is so exciting.  

I was also excited to lean that streaming from your desktop, outside of the chrome browser, is possible.
View Quote

I've been watching this video, and my gut tells me this will ultimately be a huge let down.  I think people are expecting a bit too much in the way of performance.  It's a step in the right direction, but to a certain extent - and for many people... it's just going to be a wireless HDMI cable.

I ordered another, mainly because this "wireless hdmi cable" costs less than a hdmi cable.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I ordered on Thursday... 3-4 week wait from google play.  Best Buy had them, but they suck donkey balls.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  

I'm looking for something to display the screen with citrix like performance, and a wireless mouse/kbd solution that will work across my house.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
For a fraction of the cost and its much simpler from the looks of it. Getting one for my parents.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been watching this video, and my gut tells me this will ultimately be a huge let down.  I think people are expecting a bit too much in the way of performance.  It's a step in the right direction, but to a certain extent - and for many people... it's just going to be a wireless HDMI cable.

I ordered another, mainly because this "wireless hdmi cable" costs less than a hdmi cable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you getting HDMI cables?

Monoprice.com, man! More than a couple of bucks each is too much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I already have a Roku 2, and being that it's not Google, it's not as likely to be recording every bit of my viewing habits as data mining to be sold.

Quoted:

View Quote

Please...please tell me you're not buying the $35 cables from Best Buy.

HDMI cables are $7. At MOST. Monoprice, or even Amazon. I usually pay $4.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Tag!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top