BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been watching this video, and my gut tells me this will ultimately be a huge let down.  I think people are expecting a bit too much in the way of performance.  It's a step in the right direction, but to a certain extent - and for many people... it's just going to be a wireless HDMI cable.

I ordered another, mainly because this "wireless hdmi cable" costs less than a hdmi cable.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This Week in Google had a really good discussion about what makes this different from other Android sticks and why this technology is so exciting.  

http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/208

I was also excited to lean that streaming from your desktop, outside of the chrome browser, is possible.

I've been watching this video, and my gut tells me this will ultimately be a huge let down.  I think people are expecting a bit too much in the way of performance.  It's a step in the right direction, but to a certain extent - and for many people... it's just going to be a wireless HDMI cable.

I ordered another, mainly because this "wireless hdmi cable" costs less than a hdmi cable.

There is a lot of speculation in that podcast, but it is also interesting to see Google abandon similar projects under Android (Nexus Q and whatever Andy Rubin was hinting at earlier this year) in favor of Chrome OS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
NVM
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I already have a Roku 2, and being that it's not Google, it's not as likely to be recording every bit of my viewing habits as data mining to be sold.

Please...please tell me you're not buying the $35 cables from Best Buy.

HDMI cables are $7. At MOST. Monoprice, or even Amazon. I usually pay $4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I already have a Roku 2, and being that it's not Google, it's not as likely to be recording every bit of my viewing habits as data mining to be sold.

Quoted:

Please...please tell me you're not buying the $35 cables from Best Buy.

HDMI cables are $7. At MOST. Monoprice, or even Amazon. I usually pay $4.

The hdmi cables I get are 25' or more in length, so they're more than the basic $7 ones.

I use them to run hdmi output from my netbook to the TV, so this gizmo should do much of that and more - except what I run would be restricted to a Chrome window until/unless an app comes out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, first look is that it works as advertised.  But where in the hell is the voucher for 3 months of Netflix?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]

eta: plenty of content missing from chromecast. roku user here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://marketingland.com/wp-content/ml-loads/2013/07/comparison-600x343.png

View Quote

Except you can still stream Hulu HBO Go and the others by sending the Chrome tab and maximizing the player.  Give the API some time to be integrated by the 3rd party services.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Except you can still stream Hulu HBO Go and the others by sending the Chrome tab and maximizing the player.  Give the API some time to be integrated by the 3rd party services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, although I believe amazon prime restricts which videos you can play in HD on your computer, as opposed to a dedicated device.  For instance, a lot of content I stream on my xbox and roku in HD is "unavailable" for HD streaming on my laptop.  As a person who has cut the cable cord I think this chrome cast is a great idea, just noting some of its current limitations.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've got one.  This serves a different purpose.  If it works as they describe I'll be able to display things from my computer, phone, tablet, or chromebook.   Huge potential (or flop) depending on how it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
for $15 or so more you could have a MK802IIIs and have full on android on your TV and watch all that and have access to the internet.

I've got one.  This serves a different purpose.  If it works as they describe I'll be able to display things from my computer, phone, tablet, or chromebook.   Huge potential (or flop) depending on how it works.

if you can look at it on your computer, phone, tablet or chromebook you can look at it on the android computer stick.

and you can do so much more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

if you can look at it on your computer, phone, tablet or chromebook you can look at it on the android computer stick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
for $15 or so more you could have a MK802IIIs and have full on android on your TV and watch all that and have access to the internet.

But its easier to use my phone, tablet, or chromebook as a really nice wireless remote.  I'm not getting rid of my android devices.  I'm adding an option.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine came in today. Works well and is simple.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got the text that mine shipped yesterday.  Looks like it's UPS/USMail so I'm guessing I'll see mine in a week or so.  Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just got the text that mine shipped yesterday.  Looks like it's UPS/USMail so I'm guessing I'll see mine in a week or so.  Should be interesting.
View Quote

When did you order it, and from who?

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#13]
So, this is for older TV's that aren't already WiFi enabled?

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered the day it came out directly from Google.    Didn't realize Amazon had them or I would have ordered it using Prime.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, this is for older TV's that aren't already WiFi enabled?

View Quote

More than that.  You can find something on an Android phone, Chromebook or via the Chrome browser and then send it to the Chromecast.  The list of things it works with is fairly short right now, but Netflix or Youtube will make a lot of people happy.   You can't use it (yet) w/ local media on your computer though so some people will think it's junk.  I think it's worth the $20 or so it's going to cost me since I get the Netflix credit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ordered the day it came out directly from Google.    Didn't realize Amazon had them or I would have ordered it using Prime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ordered one from each (Google and Amazon) but on Thursday and Friday.  Hopefully by the end of this new week I'll maybe see one.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing that concerns me is what if the content providers decide to block their material from being displayed on the device?  Like some did with the GoogleTV box.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only thing that concerns me is what if the content providers decide to block their material from being displayed on the device?  Like some did with the GoogleTV box.
View Quote

Three of the four are owned by Google. Google probably isn't going to block itself from it's own device. The fourth provider came with 3 months free, so that probably isn't a concern either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This Week in Google had a really good discussion about what makes this different from other Android sticks and why this technology is so exciting.  

http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/208

I was also excited to lean that streaming from your desktop, outside of the chrome browser, is possible.

hdmi cables are like 4 bucks?

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Chromecast has already been rooted.  I wouldn't worry too much  about content providers.  I was kind of banking on the hacker community rooting the thing so you could stream your own media, and it looks like this latest development is a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Placed order with Amazon a couple of days ago. Hope they have 'em back in stock soon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Three of the four are owned by Google. Google probably isn't going to block itself from it's own device. The fourth provider came with 3 months free, so that probably isn't a concern either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Google owns ABC, which is owned by Disney? Disney being the intended target...  Granted it's been a good 2 years since I tried to get to Disney.com on the googletv... just gave up after ABC/Disney/Google blocked it.  

Anyone know if discovery.com is GTG?
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Google owns ABC, which is owned by Disney? Disney being the intended target...  Granted it's been a good 2 years since I tried to get to Disney.com on the googletv... just gave up after ABC/Disney/Google blocked it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Disney owns ABC.
Google owns YouTube, Play Movies, and Chrome.

Google and Disney are separate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine showed up, I listed it on CL. we'll see if any idiots hit
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an Apple TV I like it,  the bosshole ordered one.  I'll wait to get the full report from him before deciding.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one on order. Will this allow you to watch say hulu through the browser for web content only?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Huh?
Disney owns ABC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?
Disney owns ABC.

I guess you didn't see the sarcasm in "Google owns ABC, which is owned by Disney?"

Google and Disney are separate. - Really?  When did that happen?  (More sarcasm...)

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Stupid simple to setup and use.  Google finally made a product "that just works."  Right now the novelty wears off after a few hours, but I am optimistic that the sales numbers will turn generate developer support.

The only thing I am disappointed in is that the Android Chrome Browser does not support the casting of tabs to the Chromecast.  IT works great in the Chrome Browser, and full screen casting works better than the experimental tag would lead you to believe.  I just want the ability to do wireless presentations from my Nexus 7.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#30]
So this is only for Chromes media player or browser?

Could I have my students send their powerpoints and etc to the classrom TVs?
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Look what came in today!  

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I got mine on Monday, set it up, and love it so far. Well worth the $35 - and I got my Netflix code, too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google already released the SDK and apps from smartphones don't have to be rewritten from scratch.

Providers would be stupid not to jump on board.

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I think we'd like to hear what you can do with this, things that are practical and with good performance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Google already released the SDK and apps from smartphones don't have to be rewritten from scratch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the other day that HBO go was looking at it.

http://mashable.com/2013/08/01/chromecast-hbo-go-hulu-plus/
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Setup was easy.  It's definitely not going to replace my Android box though.   Installed the Chromecast app on my MK808.  Now I can cast a movie (Google Play) in this case to one monitor and use the Android box in another.  I'm typing this using my Android box while watching Conspiracy Theory in HD.   This looks like it's going to be majorly cool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]
^^

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.  

1. To hear it's awesome.

2. and why that is...

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
^^

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.  

1. To hear it's awesome.
2. and why that is...

View Quote

Only issue is the Android box is a bit slow for surfing the net, but it was slow before I got this.   I need to upgrade my android box, but I'm waiting until I can get a good quad core for about $75 or so.   Haven't seen one that says I have to have it yet.  On the other hand I don't use it for that much.  Leave it up w/ net flix or Facebook running.     This just makes it more useful.  Essentially a dual screen setup on it now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Received an email yesterday saying the one I ordered through Google on 7/25 has shipped.

Also note the additional one we ordered through Amazon (the day after I placed the Google order) has an estimated ship date of "mid-September".

Link Posted: 8/11/2013 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Received an email yesterday saying the one I ordered through Google on 7/25 has shipped.

Also note the additional one we ordered through Amazon (the day after I placed the Google order) has an estimated ship date of "mid-September".

View Quote
Same here.  More when it shows up.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Tracking showed delivery date of Saturday.  It arrived today USPS.

So far, I can play YouTube videos or see things in Chrome.  My office surveillance system won't display (yet) like it does in Firefox or IE - that is something I'd like to use it for.

It works, but I haven't discovered much to use it for.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag.  Sounds pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Can you stream twitch.tv or Liveleak through this?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Can you stream twitch.tv or Liveleak through this?
View Quote

Youtube is smooth, but Liveleak is not optimized... dunno about twitch.tv.

This is really a Beta product, get in now at a good price, hope glitches are few and acceptance is great.

Either that or this is just a fleeting product, but I think the idea is sound.  We're just early.

Posted via Google Chrome because I bought a Chromecast gizmo.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#45]
For those who bought before the Netflix deal was rescinded, how was the Netflix info supplied when you bought the gizmo?
I bought one on 7/25 and I think I missed it by a day, but in other places it says maybe not.

ETA - emails being sent out...

I ordered from Google Play: Order date: Jul 25, 2013 4:41:36 PM PDT

http://gizmodo.com/find-out-if-you-made-the-cutoff-for-chromecasts-free-n-926064888

If you ordered Google Chromecast—that delightful yet limited media dongle announced on Wednesday—for the three months of free Netflix it came with, you might be disappointed to find out that the cutoff for the promotion was even earlier than you thought. Especially if you bought from Amazon.

According to Amazon's Chromecast product page, only orders placed before 5:31 PM Pacific time on Wednesday are eligible for the Netflix offer, a deal that effectively drove Chromecast's price retail price of $35 down to $11.

Remember, though, that Chromecast didn't even appear on Amazon until around 1:30 PM Pacific that same day. Meaning that you had all of four hours to take advantage of what's probably the product's best selling point.

If you purchased from Google Play, you fared a little better; Google's going to honor the promotion for sales that took place up to 1PM Pacific yesterday, which is about 20 hours longer than you had on Amazon but still about an hour before the cutoff was widely reported.

Looks like I should be in under the deadline, as it was ordered on Thursday the 25th before 5pm from Google Play.

ETA2 - No, maybe I missed it by a few hours...

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I unplugged the USB and plugged it back in and it downloaded and applied an update.

Something else that's "not right" in my mind, is that when viewing a tab on screen the mouse pointer doesn't show.  So for those thinking this gives them an easy connection to a large screen to work with, no - you can't do that.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For those who bought before the Netflix deal was rescinded, how was the Netflix info supplied when you bought the gizmo?

I bought one on 7/25 and I think I missed it by a day, but in other places it says maybe not.

ETA - emails being sent out...

I ordered from Google Play: Order date: Jul 25, 2013 4:41:36 PM PDT

http://gizmodo.com/find-out-if-you-made-the-cutoff-for-chromecasts-free-n-926064888

If you ordered Google Chromecast—that delightful yet limited media dongle announced on Wednesday—for the three months of free Netflix it came with, you might be disappointed to find out that the cutoff for the promotion was even earlier than you thought. Especially if you bought from Amazon.

According to Amazon's Chromecast product page, only orders placed before 5:31 PM Pacific time on Wednesday are eligible for the Netflix offer, a deal that effectively drove Chromecast's price retail price of $35 down to $11.

Remember, though, that Chromecast didn't even appear on Amazon until around 1:30 PM Pacific that same day. Meaning that you had all of four hours to take advantage of what's probably the product's best selling point.

If you purchased from Google Play, you fared a little better; Google's going to honor the promotion for sales that took place up to 1PM Pacific yesterday, which is about 20 hours longer than you had on Amazon but still about an hour before the cutoff was widely reported.

Looks like I should be in under the deadline, as it was ordered on Thursday the 25th before 5pm from Google Play.

ETA2 - No, maybe I missed it by a few hours...

View Quote

I bought mine from Best Buy. They sent me a seperate email with a code tgat you redeem in NetFlix.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#48]
We currently use a WII for netflix.  With the Chromecast do you use your android device as the remote control?  

This would not work for us because I take my phone with me and nobody would be able to use it when I was gone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We currently use a WII for netflix.  With the Chromecast do you use your android device as the remote control?  

This would not work for us because I take my phone with me and nobody would be able to use it when I was gone.
View Quote

Android, iOS devices, or any computer running Chrome.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and multiple users can connect to and control the chromecast.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top