BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By elcope:

I think I'll survive, but it's rough.

Getting caught up is the hardest part.
View Quote

Chit, I was out fishing with no mobile service for almost 5 days!  Still trying to figure what's going on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Couldn't help but think of this scene:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145837/1904_WC_LifeOfBrian-1024x576_jpg-2841652.JPG
View Quote

Romans, they go house?

[see avatar]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]

This pic is what makes it look like the damn was overtopped rather blown out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Seems like it benefits RU?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

We are going to have to wait until daylight to see what is going on.

Edit:  Okay there's this video.

Ukraine was never going to assault across that area with any sizable force anyways
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Yes.
The Russian side floods worse.
The Russian side runs out of water, including Crimea.
The Russian controlled NPP melts down. Likely supplying power to most of Donbas or at least Donetsk.
View Quote

Dude, are you serious?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I swear to god I fucking hate russian military.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
The Republican party is most likely too fractured to elect a President in 2024, imo.

Trump needed to have an awakening in 2020/21, realize that his political career is over, and shift to an influencer to help unite the party.
  But he didn't do that and shows no signs of ever being willing to do that.

In that sense, it likely doesn't matter what the various Republican presidential candidates feelings are about Ukraine.   Because none of them are going to be calling the shots in 2025.
View Quote

Off-topic, but this is so good it must be quoted for another view. Yes, YES! Trump could have had value as a cheerleader and supporter for the party, but instead chose to be a narcissistic asshole. FDT. And that's from somebody that voted for him several times, in primaries and general elections. He is guaranteed not to win the White House. But he's to vain to do the right thing and help conservatives.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
NK Dam goin is what we call a Black Swan event.
View Quote
Any war planner who did not foresee blowing the dam as a possibility is incompetent
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

View All Quotes

I think it is too early to draw conclusions. That is not water "going around the buildings". The two remaining pieces are part of a single control room, and the middle chunk of it is missing. It is equally likely that someone blew up the whole control room and parts of the dam. The timing is also somewhat suspicious.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#10]

That actually makes sense. The video looks more like the water level overtopped the dam. There’s even water running around the buildings which looked to be at the same elevation as the top of the dam.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fx6Fl-6XgAIUqql?format=jpg&name=small

That actually makes sense. The video looks more like the water level overtopped the dam. There’s even water running around the buildings which looked to be at the same elevation as the top of the dam.

Good deal, lots of russians will be  catfish food. Ukraine holds the higher right side of the river and russia is on the low side, and now Ukraine can float over the mine fields instead of travelling through them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Tanks don't float well
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Off-topic, but this is so good it must be quoted for another view. Yes, YES! Trump could have had value as a cheerleader and supporter for the party, but instead chose to be a narcissistic asshole. FDT. And that's from somebody that voted for him several times, in primaries and general elections. He is guaranteed not to win the White House. But he's to vain to do the right thing and help conservatives.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
The Republican party is most likely too fractured to elect a President in 2024, imo.

Trump needed to have an awakening in 2020/21, realize that his political career is over, and shift to an influencer to help unite the party.
  But he didn't do that and shows no signs of ever being willing to do that.

In that sense, it likely doesn't matter what the various Republican presidential candidates feelings are about Ukraine.   Because none of them are going to be calling the shots in 2025.

I'm skeptical he would have had a net positive value in even that role.  I don't think he had the capacity for it and I think he was too tainted by then, plus it would still be divisive for the party, especially since not all on the Right (without getting into those just Right of center like neocons or "moderate" Republicans) are on board for everything he did or claimed to stand for.  He'd have been better off just fading away, IMO.  Go back to business, eschew politics, and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
@Easterner
It just struck me that you're leaving on the anniversary of D Day. Rather momentous even now, once again going out against fascists.
Hoping for all the best while you're out there for you and your family.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4470-2841740.jpg
View Quote
The anniversary of one and the eve of another. Primo victoria!

Ukraine war (Sabaton - Primo victoria)

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
Ukraine was never going to assault across that area with any sizable force anyways
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Veccio:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

We are going to have to wait until daylight to see what is going on.

Edit:  Okay there's this video.

The fastest way to Crimea was to cross the Dnipro just downstream of that dam. This basically prevents that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Nein.

It's the obvious reasons.

Things go boom boom.
View Quote

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

Footage of dam being overtopped by water, and reports of poor dam management by orcs tend to suggest that a partial dam failure, followed by total failure, is a lot more likely than a massive precision arty barrage.

Especially a dam that would negatively impact the UA ability to assault across the river (around the time of their counter offensive) if it was destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Good deal, lots of russians will be  catfish food. Ukraine holds the higher right side of the river and russia is on the low side, and now Ukraine can float over the mine fields instead of travelling through them.
View All Quotes

It has some costs for Russia too but probably more benefits.  Once the water recedes it will be impossible to cross the mud flats on either side of the river this year.
Russia blew the dam because they feared a Ukrainian river crossing, or a crossing was imminent or underway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure they hit the AZ-5 button at the NPP.

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Capta:

It has some costs for Russia too but probably more benefits.  Once the water recedes it will be impossible to cross the mud flats on either side of the river this year.
Russia blew the dam because they feared a Ukrainian river crossing, or a crossing was imminent or underway.
View All Quotes

I listened to some Michael Kofman stuff recently, and he argued that Russia's goals in Ukraine have shifted from establishing a friendly regime in Kyiv, to holding the territory they'd taken, and now just to simply destroying Ukraine as a functioning state. In that light, this action does make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Major Dam Collapses in Ukraine - LIVE Breaking News Coverage (Nova Kakhovka Dam Destroyed).
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Although it generally helps Ukraine, I am thinking more it was Russian neglect.
View Quote

Leaning this way as well, guess we'll find out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Nein.

Things go boom boom.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

https://i.imgur.com/kmYmfIX.gif

Nein.

Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Things go boom boom.

one would think after your dumpster fire of a failed thread, and after you got laughed out of your own thread about weapons in cartels hands from ukraine, that you would understand anything you say is pretty much laughed at by now and absolutely holds no weight at all... are you having a hard time realizing that? lol  we are embarrassed for you but your not helping your case none
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:
View Quote

We are talking about the Russians here.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

That was largely the point I was making
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

I listened to some Michael Kofman stuff recently, and he argued that Russia's goals in Ukraine have shifted from establishing a friendly regime in Kyiv, to holding the territory they'd taken, and now just to simply destroying Ukraine as a functioning state. In that light, this action does make a lot of sense.
View Quote

Keeping Crimea is Putin's main goal, being that Sevastopol is one of only 3 federal cities and the headquarters of the Black Sea fleet. He doesn't care about flooding minor Ukrainian towns if that helps prevent a surprise invasion of the peninsula. There is nothing left of Donbas factories anymore, it's all a wasteland. With the timing of the flooding, the chances of Russia holding Crimea through the end of the year (and the US election cycle) has increased.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok,  OK. I'm going to call it, The spring counter offensive is on.

This thread has gone more than 12 pages in 24 hours,
The commies are throwing more bull shits than a manure spreader.
And the useful idiots got their talking points.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#26]

"We are winning guys!"
"The F-16's will do it, I swear!"
"We need those tanks, rocket launchers, and American's cash!"

Meanwhile in reality Ukraine has less territory than the start of the war

You're here... divorced from reality.
View Quote

So in WW-2, nothing mattered until the allies crossed into Germany, because up until that point, the Germans still held more land than at the beginning of the war.

Someone doesn't understand war.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

You literally gobble up Russian propaganda and spread it.

Why?

View All Quotes

Why would I celebrate that? It's pretty disgusting that you are framing me as a Russian and Putin supporter.

Pathetic really

Why?

It's pathetic, really.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Somebody please tell me how this is going to effect crimea. The water is not blocked now, it's flowing. And also how it is going to effect the nuclear power plant if at all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:21:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Who_Me] [#29]
Never mind, fake.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#30]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Yes and No

The powerhouse is missing an entire section.  That wasn't done by water. What the average person doesn't intuitively take into account is that the reservoir is not static.  There is a river flowing towards the dam.  If that water does not go through the generators or out a side or emergency spillway it raises the level of the reservoir.  Sometimes rather quickly.  The attack on the powerhouse that would take out an entire section like that would put everything still functional into emergency shutdown.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Somebody please tell me how this is going to effect crimea. The water is not blocked now, it's flowing. And also how it is going to effect the nuclear power plant if at all.
View Quote

If you pull up the Nova Kakhovka power plant on Google Maps, you will see that there is a canal leaving directly to the south right from upriver of the dam. That canal supplies water to Crimea through the Perekop of Isthmus. With the dam gone, water levels in the reservoir are decreasing, and so is the water available to Crimea. Crimea will experience water shortage. Russia must either ship water from Russia or build a new pipe to deliver it through the Kerch strait, or people will need to learn to live without their showers.

Zaporizhzhia NPP also gets its water upriver from the dam. With the dam being gone, water levels may now decrease below the minimum level required. Before that happens, Russian operators will likely shut down the power plant. This could take a while, depending on how fast water level decreases. But there will not be a Chernobyl-like explosion since the water level of the river can be monitored so actions will be taken before it gets catastrophic.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By strykr:

If you pull up the Nova Kakhovka power plant on Google Maps, you will see that there is a canal leaving directly to the south right from upriver of the dam. That canal supplies water to Crimea through the Perekop of Isthmus. With the dam gone, water levels in the reservoir are decreasing, and so is the water available to Crimea. Crimea will experience water shortage. Russia must either ship water from Russia or build a new pipe to deliver it through the Kerch strait, or people will need to learn to live without their showers.

Zaporizhzhia NPP also gets its water upriver from the dam. With the dam being gone, water levels may now decrease below the minimum level required. Before that happens, Russian operators will likely shut down the power plant. This could take a while, depending on how fast water level decreases. But there will not be a Chernobyl-like explosion since the water level of the river can be monitored so actions will be taken before it gets catastrophic.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MNGearhead:

It's pathetic, really.
View All Quotes

Why would I celebrate that? It's pretty disgusting that you are framing me as a Russian and Putin supporter.

Pathetic really

Why?

It's pathetic, really.

sure is, he makes threads pushing russian propaganda and doesnt understand why he is accused of supporting russia....  its hard to get through to low IQ folks..
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Keeping Crimea is Putin's main goal, being that Sevastopol is one of only 3 federal cities and the headquarters of the Black Sea fleet. He doesn't care about flooding minor Ukrainian towns if that helps prevent a surprise invasion of the peninsula. There is nothing left of Donbas factories anymore, it's all a wasteland. With the timing of the flooding, the chances of Russia holding Crimea through the end of the year (and the US election cycle) has increased.
View Quote

Putin doesn't give a shit about the people in Crimea or whether they have water or even if they all die, so long as he can keep the black sea fleet docked there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#36]

sure is, he makes threads pushing russian propaganda and doesnt understand why he is accused of supporting russia....  its hard to get through to low IQ folks..
View All Quotes

Pathetic really

Why?

It's pathetic, really.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Good explanation as why this was likely the Allies and Ukraine making things go boom boom. Same reasons that Nord Stream pipeline was blown up. It's all upside, for them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Good explanation as why this was likely the Allies and Ukraine making things go boom boom. Same reasons that Nord Stream pipeline was blown up. It's all upside, for them.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Last I heard the ZNPP has been shut down for months.  The question is will the lowered water levels affect continued cooling of the plant.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:49:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLurker] [#40]

View All Quotes

This is a strong entry in the most retarded takes category. Can't wait for the awards show to find out how this one goes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

It has no military benefit whatsoever to Ukraine. It will inconvenience the Crimean civilian population, primarily limiting their agriculture. It will make no difference whatever to the Russian military or the black sea fleet. If you think Putin gives a crap about the Crimean civilian population then I would like to sell you the Kerch Bridge.

On the other hand Ukraine is likely to want to cross the Dnipro as part of any counter offensive and causing it to flood makes that a lot harder

It's obvious who benefits.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:54:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#42]

Ukraine's Southern Operational Command reported early on June 6 that Russian forces blew up the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant.

"The scale of the destruction, the speed and volumes of water, and the likely areas of inundation are being clarified," the military said on their official Facebook page.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Last I heard the ZNPP has been shut down for months.  The question is will the lowered water levels affect continued cooling of the plant.
View All Quotes

You are correct, thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

It has no military benefit whatsoever to Ukraine. It will inconvenience the Crimean civilian population, primarily limiting their agriculture. It will make no difference whatever to the Russian military or the black sea fleet. If you think Putin gives a crap about the Crimean civilian population then I would like to sell you the Kerch Bridge.

On the other hand Ukraine is likely to want to cross the Dnipro as part of any counter offensive and causing it to flood makes that a lot harder

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

It has a huge military and morale benefit to Ukraine. Crimea is ethnically Russian, they voted 48/52 in the 1991 USSR breakup. History does mean things, you know? The lowest independent voting district in Ukraine versus the others, other districts were 80%+ in their votes.

It's obvious who benefits in the destruction of this dam.

This is a strong entry in the most retarded takes category. Can't wait for the awards show to find out how this one goes.

Sure bud.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#46]
@Easterner
It just struck me that you’re leaving on the anniversary of D Day. Rather momentous even now, once again going out against fascists.
Hoping for all the best while you’re out there for you and your family.

View All Quotes
@Easterner
It just struck me that you’re leaving on the anniversary of D Day. Rather momentous even now, once again going out against fascists.
Hoping for all the best while you’re out there for you and your family.
Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months.

The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.

In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations1 have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Totally fitting. Based.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#47]

It has a huge military and morale benefit to Ukraine. Crimea is ethnically Russian, they voted 48/52 in the 1991 USSR breakup. History does mean things, you know? The lowest independent voting district in Ukraine versus the others, other districts were 80%+ in their votes.

It's obvious who benefits in the destruction of this dam.

Sure bud.
View Quote

What's the military and morale benefit to Ukraine?

As a reminder, they claim to have plans for a counter offensive which would include crossing the now flooded area. Making that purposefully harder on themselves doesn't really seem to be a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#48]
"Artillery attack"

View Quote

Everyone know a couple of artillery shells will take out a dam with 30 ft of concrete. Or much more than that.
That is funny, Russia!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#49]
If people would stop quoting the troll my ignore feature sure would work a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Sure bud.
View All Quotes

Sure bud.

I've got my fingers crossed for your entry! I think you might just do it this time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5590
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top