Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2022 8:46:11 PM EDT
I've been craving some kind of project for a few years and right now I can afford one. Rather than dive into a Cobra kit car or something, I'd rather dip my toes into messing around with something cheaper first

Looking at Exocet off-road builds led me to the DPV and similar vehicles, which I'd completely forgotten about.

Attachment Attached File

I'm guessing a legit military one has some differences from the more common ones. Anyone have good sources for info on them? Seems like it would be simple to convert a basic rail into a "military style" assault buggy for hunting or goofing around on the local dirt track.

Any good places to look for one for sale? I live in Texas but have a buddy who can trailer one home for me.

General info appreciated, pros, cons, etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The original was built on a Chenowth chassis. Pick up a hot VWs magazine and go nuts. I had one for a few years and it was awesome
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If money was no object a General four seat would be a great donor vehicle. The turret ring being light enough might be hard to find. Bowhntr6pt came up with one a few years ago. If my memory is correct in the hog hunting section.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If money was no object a General four seat would be a great donor vehicle. The turret ring being light enough might be hard to find. Bowhntr6pt came up with one a few years ago. If my memory is correct in the hog hunting section.
View Quote

Money is an object, but I'm not averse to spending a little.

I've found a few potentials out there already and a thread another member had years ago when he found a legit chassis.

The more I look into these things the cooler they are. Unfortunately they can't be made street legal in Texas right now due to some serious government derp

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've found a few potentials out there already and a thread another member had years ago when he found a legit chassis.

The more I look into these things the cooler they are. Unfortunately they can't be made street legal in Texas right now due to some serious government derp

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought some counties have made them streat legal just not high way legal. We passed the law last year where we can tag them and add turn signal kits.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought some counties have made them streat legal just not high way legal. We passed the law last year where we can tag them and add turn signal kits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be correct, I was a little tired when I was doing some reading on them a few days ago. I'm not sure if my county (Montague) will allow it but it's fairly rural. I do remember seeing something about usage on restricted roads.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine had a bug vin and was fully licensed but that was in the 80s
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the idea of an off-road gun truck!  But I would ditch the 1970s technology and join the modern era.  Get a bug and long travel it with a 2.5 ltr Subaru motor.

Go fast, reliable and very capable.  Cut a turret into the roof where you can stand where the back seat was.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I love the idea of an off-road gun truck!  But I would ditch the 1970s technology and join the modern era.  Get a bug and long travel it with a 2.5 ltr Subaru motor.

Go fast, reliable and very capable.  Cut a turret into the roof where you can stand where the back seat was.
View Quote

That's why I was looking at off-road Exocets

I'd really like long travel as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
A true off-road car is what is fun.

Find A Good Fabricator
Buy Used Parts
Used Motors

Shop locally for a beat up bug.  You can find them where the owners are not too proud of them.  Car would be bad ass!

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A true off-road car is what is fun.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d9/a9/94/d9a994674451aa7365521a8f09d8788b--baja-bug-buggies.jpg

Find A Good Fabricator
Buy Used Parts
Used Motors

Shop locally for a beat up bug.  You can find them where the owners are not too proud of them.  Car would be bad ass!

View Quote
That's a damn good looking bug, for what 75-80k?
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's a damn good looking bug, for what 75-80k?
View Quote

I'm sure that one is up there.  I just used it for illustration.  You can get a race bug for half that, but not a real long travel car.

Class 5 Bug

But if you can weld and build it would be less.  I wouldn't spend as much on a fun car as would on a race car.

Here is a Chenoweth, but I'm sure it's a basket case, and would cost 10k to make something out of it.  And if it is a fun car, it can be done over time.

Chenoweth Car

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top