Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2022 6:27:05 PM EDT
Buddys farm got hit by the tornado recently. Part of the destruction included a case diesel 4x4 side by side and a john deer gator.

Carnage.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I asked about the tires on the case a few weeks ago as they were new tires and i needed some, and yesterday got the go ahead to get them. I pulled the tires off and noticed it had a damn kubota engine in it ! 16hp 3 cyl diesel.

Me.....Hey, what are you doing with the rest of it ?

Buddy... think dads gonna scrap it. Ill let you know later today.

I haul the tires home and get a call.

Buddy... he said you can have it....in exchange for a couple 1/2 days of helping pick up debris, little stuff.  

Me... fuck yeah !!

My first plan was to pull the engine and support gear, and sell everything else and build a kubota 10ky generatot for my house.

However... i think i can have this thing fully operational for $500  or less. ( tornado ripped off the front right wheel, needs new assembly , maybe new cv shaft. )   obviously it looks like shit, but i could replacing plastic with sheet metal, build a flat bed and make it look like a special forces side by side, have a fun little beater hunting vehicle. .

I charged the battery and engine fired right up !  Trans seems to work ok etc. So drivetrain and aluminum body is in good condition.

Thoughts ?

Here she is.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tires.
Attachment Attached File

Build this out of it / something close to it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet karma.  I’m in

Seriously. If you have the know how to fix it I would

I, on the other hand, don’t.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Lucky bastard

My bil flips atvs/utvs all the time and makes good money doing it.

Will get a worn out Honda 4x4 for $1k, throw $300-500 into it and sell it for $3.

He tares them down to the frame, paints everything and replaces all the plastic. Looks like a damn brand new atv when hes done.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you already have something similar (assuming you do since you needed the tires) I’d build the gen.  You can only drive one at a time.

I get where your coming from though.  Sometimes it’s just fun to make “junk” work for cheap.  I’ve fixed free lawnmowers for next to nothing just to give them away, so no judgement here
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet karma.  I’m in

View Quote

That’s just sheet metal, pop rivets, and motivation.

Never do that to a nice side by side, but this one, will be fun !
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Build it!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you already have something similar (assuming you do since you needed the tires) I’d build the gen.  You can only drive one at a time.

I get where your coming from though.  Sometimes it’s just fun to make “junk” work for cheap.  I’ve fixed free lawnmowers for next to nothing just to give them away, so no judgement here
View Quote

Iv got a Yamaha kodiak 450 atv, and a Polaris ranger. The Yamaha has bald tires, and I was going to use these. I don’t NEED another atv…. But this would be a cool project, ( as long as it’s not too expensive )   Generator project would basically be free. Keep engine, sell transmission and other parts and buy a pto generator head etc and parts and assemble.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
First, you did not get it for free.  Unless you do not value your time or labor.  In that case…

Try to rebuild it.   Worth more as a functional side by side instead of a “custom” generator.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Both machines look like they used hard and put up wet, then went through a tornado.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First, you did not get it for free.  Unless you do not value your time or labor.  In that case…

Try to rebuild it.   Worth more as a functional side by side instead of a “custom” generator.
View Quote

I’m retired, nothing but free time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd fix it.

Don't forget the build thread!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun truck,build it post lots of pix.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Make one look like a Tesla truck, then tell everyone the batteries crapped out and you had to it convert to ICE.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have zero doubt I could part it out for prob $3000 pretty easily, the kubota engine alone would bring a good amount, plus various other parts.  This just looks fun, and unusual, and I love oddball / unusual stuff.

Guy across the street makes custom Polaris razor etc roll cages, and deals with them a lot, I’ll see what he thinks. I think fixing the front wheel could be done probably for $300, I’ll throw a tarp over it and ponder it, price parts and stuff for both projects.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have the skills and time to rebuild it, why not?  It could be a fun toy to have around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It's fun to give stuff a second life sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice windfall!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20220120_162515_jpg-2247823.JPG
View Quote
This, but while rebuilding it find a way to add a PTO to run a genny.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Suggestion:  Start website called www.SarcoVehichles.com and sell both as 'Hand Select".
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
This is going to be one of your most expensive, "free", undertakings

In for the epicness
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
First turn that fuel pump up so it will roll coal!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Shit yeah!! ( jealous )
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Gift one to me so I can rebuild it for plowing instead of using my 15k quad
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I know it looks like shit right now, here’s what it used to look like pre tornado.

Attachment Attached File

but just remember the drivetrain , frame , suspension, etc are all in good shape, so Iv got a lot of good stuff to work with.  I’ll strip off lol the plastic, and replace with sheet metal, maybe aluminum panels. ( gonna have to figure out how to weld aluminum though ) Get creative and have fun and I think I can build something cool to play with. It won’t be super fast with the Diesel engine, but it will be plenty fast for my uses, hunting, trail riding, farming, etc. best part, I’ll have it CHEAP !

DEFINATELY going with a military look.  My neighbor builds custom roll cages for razors and such, and I’m pretty sure I can get a little help cheaply.

I don’t think modifying it into this would be very difficult. Basically build it to look like the below vehicle, but have a tilt rear flat bed with removable side rails.  But keep it as light as possible, it’s already got a aluminum frame, aluminum differentials, etc, so use aluminum and have a light fun buggy.

Gonna be sweet !!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit! I'd turn that into a Prairie Dog driveby shooting toy!

You are on the right track. Build it into a faux spec-ops buggy.

Start watching ebay for parts. Google for other parts.

You are here by required to update this thread on a monthly basis.

<taggage>

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#27]
So originally you were going to get just the wheels and leave the thing sitting in his field on the axles?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Mad Max that thing!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Can't believe I'm the first to say  - LS swap!!

Kidding. I'd restore it as cheaply as possible to its original form.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet karma.  I’m in

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress, but that picture you posted is a lot more than sheet metal and pop rivets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So originally you were going to get just the wheels and leave the thing sitting in his field on the axles?
View Quote

I figured they were going to scrap it. I needed tires. they would just grab it up with a loader and drop it into a dump truck to scrap.

The only reason I decided to try and get it, was because I discovered it had a kubota engine in it. Kubota Diesel engine will last forever and Iv been wanting one for a generator project. Figured I could use the engine, pull it and they could scrap the rest. Just didn’t think they would just let me have the entire thing for FREE.

now Iv got it, im leaning towards fixing it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be beyond my ability.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Build it, the fuss of getting a motor set up for generator duty will be more on parts than finding a good used genset.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice score! I see you have it chained down so it doesn't blow away again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Fix it up. This should be a great thread.
Tagscribing now.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lucky bastard

My bil flips atvs/utvs all the time and makes good money doing it.

Will get a worn out Honda 4x4 for $1k, throw $300-500 into it and sell it for $3.

He tares them down to the frame, paints everything and replaces all the plastic. Looks like a damn brand new atv when hes done.
View Quote

Where is he? I’ve got 3 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice score! I see you have it chained down so it doesn't blow away again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Target practice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#40]
If you are going through the trouble of that, you should lengthen the driveshaft and rear deck.  Have something similar to the new Can Ams that have a long bed.

Congrats on your Appalachian Technical
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you are going through the trouble of that, you should lengthen the driveshaft and rear deck.  Have something similar to the new Can Ams that have a long bed.

Congrats on your Appalachian Technical
View Quote

I’m leaning towards as small and light as possible. Make a flat bed with short sides big enough for a deer,  It’s all aluminum except for the roll cage, I’d like to add a few pieces of aluminum tubing to the front and have a flat front cargo area. Replace all plastic with aluminum panels, possibly pop riveted or bolted on. Paint it camo. Add some led lights, a IR flood light for using night vision, gun racks, front and rear winch.

That tan SF buggy I posted the picture of is a perfect example of what I’d like to end up with. I think it’s doable, and can be done really cheaply as well. I bet for under  $1000.00 investment I can have it completely done .
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Strip it and sell the parts off.

A guy I know has done that for years with sleds and quads and somehow makes a pile off of stuff he gets for basically nothing.

Takes a little time, but he runs a small engine repair shop, so he just strips and catalogs between work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#43]
It looks just like my parents bobcat 2200. Those little kabota engines are torque monsters for what they are. I'd give it a go at fixing it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I would build the Case one into what you want it sounds cool and it looks like the perfect starting point.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#45]
The vehicle you are referencing is a Polaris MRZR.

https://military.polaris.com/en-us/mrzr/
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The vehicle you are referencing is a Polaris MRZR.

https://military.polaris.com/en-us/mrzr/
View Quote

I knew about those, several different versions and manufacturers , like the us mil growler, etc.

The one I posted a pic of is a Phoenix international prowler.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.army-technology.com/contractors/vehicles/atv/

I chose that one because it’s pretty boxy, with no complicated curves, angles, etc. I can do boxy, much easier ( for me ) to add a square aluminum box on the front out of square tube , than try and bend tubing which I’d suck at.  The prowler is also bare bones, which means less material, cheaper n lighter. massimo has one too that’s kinda close but i don’t like how it looks.  

Massimo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Those Kubota engines are nice.  They are super easy to work on.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those Kubota engines are nice.  They are super easy to work on.
View Quote

Yup. The kubota engine is most of the why I was interested in this thing,  kubota diesel is awesome, useful and highly sought after.  I knew I could sell it easily if nothing else.

I’m not going to say I’m not tempted to part it out. I could prob get enough out of the engine, trans, and other parts to buy myself a thermal scope, like a hogster. It’s very tempting, and least amount of work too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup. The kubota engine is most of the why I was interested in this thing,  kubota diesel is awesome, useful and highly sought after.  I knew I could sell it easily if nothing else.

I’m not going to say I’m not tempted to part it out. I could prob get enough out of the engine, trans, and other parts to buy myself a thermal scope, like a hogster. It’s very tempting, and least amount of work too.
View Quote

I used to work on those with my dad. He sold them as marine generators.  The engines held up like Champs in the environment.  The generators not as well. But salt water and electricity don't mix.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Awesome find. I have been wanting a side by side to run around my 20 acres but they are just stupid expensive. I’d be fine with old, busted, slow, or one that had been through a tornado, but damn if I can find anything under 3 - 5k on Craigslist.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top