BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 10/6/2021 4:44:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Second try at ballerina.
Maple body with Birch natural edge. Piece of bark came off at the last minute! Spray on color and wipe on poly finish.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 7:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#2]
Quick little job today as I was busy doing other projects. Grabbed a Walnut piece out of the junk pile to see what I could make.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried something a little different. Square block split on the diagonal and turned on the inside.
Also banged out a few mushrooms while waiting between coats of finish.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Rainy day today so I spent most of the day playing. Got all my mushroom shapes turned and ready for the show. Ended up with 12 total. Made a display stand for the ballerina. (still wet so can't grab pic) and I made another ornament. This one has a lower finial 5 inches long by 1/8 in the thinnest spot. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
this is a cabinet I made for my router tooling and other assorted stuff.
from junk Read Oak.
Ran out of Red Oak so the bottom section of drawers use Sugar Maple for everything except the drawer front.
Used a more conventional way to do the drawer fronts, just screwed them to the drawer body, I'm not a fan of the method.
I also made the drawers heavier than other ones, I'll go back to thinner boards I think in the future.
Also used some different construction methods than my previous cabinets, still looking for a best method for me taking into account the equipment I have.
Most of the frame is .86 thick wood, the whole thing is HEAVY.
I made the drawer fronts out of one glued up section of boards and cut it up for a different look.
I like the look but I should of used a board with more character so it would of shown up in all the fronts more rather than just some of them.
As I have said before I'm a novice so I look at these as skill builders for me.

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
from junk Read Oak.
Ran out of Red Oak so the bottom section of drawers use Sugar Maple for everything except the drawer front.
Used a more conventional way to do the drawer fronts, just screwed them to the drawer body, I'm not a fan of the method.
I also made the drawers heavier than other ones, I'll go back to thinner boards I think in the future.
Also used some different construction methods than my previous cabinets, still looking for a best method for me taking into account the equipment I have.
I made the drawer fronts out of one glued up section of boards and cut it up for a different look.
I like the look but I should of used a board with more character so it would of shown up in all the fronts more rather than just some of them.

https://i.postimg.cc/44v5kQC3/PA210045.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3JnFWrx5/PA210046.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Wb3JWGTC/PA210047.jpg
View Quote
What other method(s) would you use to attach the drawer front to the box?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
What other method(s) would you use to attach the drawer front to the box?
View Quote

I made the front part of the box, I like its looks much better, uses less wood and allows for more room in the drawers.
Only down side it is more work but taking into account I don't need to make up another piece of wood and go thru the work of locating and mounting the front to the box it actually might be less work.
Not to mention I don't need screws either.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
from junk Read Oak.

https://i.postimg.cc/44v5kQC3/PA210045.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3JnFWrx5/PA210046.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Wb3JWGTC/PA210047.jpg
View Quote
very nice!
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#9]
Watched a Youtube segment yesterday on turning "Genie's" bottle.
Here is my rendition. Unknown figured wood with Walnut stopper.
3 in. at widest point by 8 in. high to top of finial.
First coat of walnut oil applied.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Something just didn't seem right to me!
Tapered the upper section to match the bottom of the top section.
Turned two new finials. Walnut and Olive wood. Need to reoil the whole piece to get a better color match.
What are your thoughts?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
4 X 3 1/2 box and lid made with Apple. Finial made with Zebra wood.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Comfort twist pens

L to R
Molten Bronze, gold
Sea Foam, satin
Fire and Ice, satin
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Soju:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/212150/IMG_2723_jpeg-2951171.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/212150/IMG_2725_jpeg-2951172.JPG

Trying my hand at a little epoxy. Just waiting for it to fully cure so I can plane and sand it. This is a gift for my FIL so I hope it works out.

Also took a few red oak slabs and turned them into a display for a shop that my wife and I sell some stuff in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/212150/IMG_2731_jpeg-2951175.JPG
View Quote

Soju,

I love that UK board, that looks great! My daughter’s boyfriend is a UK fan, and I wouldn’t mind trying that for him for Christmas. Did you use a template to route out the letters?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quick little project as I woke up at 3:30 am. Maple and purple heart with some air brush work. Needed some dirt work on the bottom of the cloak.
Need to clean up the beard after the glue dries.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Today's project tried to cut my arm off! Pay attention and don't do stupid stuff! No more for today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Turned the exploding bowl into a saucer. Added a cup from another boo boo project. First try with milk paint.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
It hit me in the arm. Luckily I stand off to the side most of the time. Got a cut on my arm and some bruises. Wasn't bad. Kept turning.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Practice piece out of Maple. Not sure if it will get incorporated into a project or not. Got it down to 3/16 thick. Thought for sure it was going to break!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#21]
3 1/2 by 1 3/4 box made with Apple wood.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Made another box. This time straight Ash but first try using dye.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Here was my setup at the craft show yesterday. Didn't do as good as I expected. Everyone commented and loved the items but no one bought or even offered. I made back my entry fee and 240 dollars. Things I thought would go didn't and stuff I wanted to just show and keep sold. LOL.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Oil rubbed bronze and brass Piston action pen in cocobolo. This is so delightfully fidgety. I about had to wrestle it back from my son last night.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:29:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acegunner] [#25]
Super simple,  but they make great gifts, and the lady who runs the little local boutique wants me to make her 10 sets to sell. I think they turned out pretty nice for a "scrap project"

They look much better inside with proper lighting

It's something  to do when I just needed to got out to the shop and make SOMETHING!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#26]
This years Thanksgiving center piece. Candle holders turned from Chestnut. Candles turned from composite plastic. Wick/flame turned from bamboo. Turkey off axis turned from popular. Feathers, beak, sign and wattle made from Cedar.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Walnut hollow form with tung oil finish. Cover is Ash with green ink base and poly top coat with gold embellishment.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#28]
from junk Read Oak.
View Quote

I think your "junk" red oak has some beautiful grain and knots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Interesting!

What sold best and what didn't?
View Quote

12 of the 18 snowmen sold. 3 or 4 pens. 2 of the large ornaments, Some of the small bowls. Non of the expensive stuff went! I was surprised no one even looked at the wands.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Work in progress.
Another chunk of Ash on the lathe. This time I'm playing with inks. Started with black. Sanded that off and applied green. Quick sand on that and then applied two blues and a touch of brown. two coats of shellac and then a coat of friction polish.
Now to turn the back without breaking anything! I'm going to add a dome cover also. Not sure if I want it to fit the inner hole or set into the groove?
Wife has already decided this one is hers!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks!

Played with string today. Pics don't do it justice. It's much better looking by eye.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:31:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#38]
Back in the shop. Glued up 5- 1 inch thick Beech boards to make a 10 inch circle. Glued up 3 more to make a 6 inch circle that I attached to the bottom of the 10 inch board.
Attachment Attached File

Got it mounted on the lathe and did some magic.
Attachment Attached File

Ink coloring with friction polish and wood wax.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Combined my love for wood turning with my love for string tying.
Lights turned from maple and painted with enamel.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#40]
8x2 Black Limba bowl. Second coat of Tung oil drying now. One more coat and then wax.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Finished up my second Beech platter. This one in blue tones. Tried to show more wood on the top side. Not sure I like it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Made a quick little project using Birch and copper wire with a little tea light.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Last plate of this series unless I can find more colors. This one done in red with green highlights and rimmed with gold. Green ink turned black when it hit the red?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 2:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyDirk] [#44]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
Here was my setup at the craft show yesterday. Didn't do as good as I expected. Everyone commented and loved the items but no one bought or even offered. I made back my entry fee and 240 dollars. Things I thought would go didn't and stuff I wanted to just show and keep sold. LOL.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56211/IMG_6629_jpg-3024926.JPG
View Quote

one of my Uncles does the same. after a few years he has stated that pick your shows wisely. Stay away from blue collar middle class areas/towns. Go to up scale more lucrative areas.
Lots of people like your stuff but no buys means they think its over priced.
most people look at hand made stuff and think "I can buy same thing at walmart for $1.99 and he wants $20, no way."

Wife makes quilts, she does very good work and she has a talent for picking nice color combinations. Her quilts look very good when done.
She was showing one of her latest project to neighbor lady.
Lady says "thats beautiful, what's something like that worth? $100 or more?"
Wife laughed and told her "the materials alone were over $300 and I have over 60 hours in it, what do you make for an hours worth of work and figure it out from there."

Handmade things are best marketed to people with the means to pay for the time and effort.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#45]

one of my Uncles does the same. after a few years he has stated that pick your shows wisely. Stay away from blue collar middle class areas/towns. Go to up scale more lucrative areas.
Lots of people like your stuff but no buys means they think its over priced.
most people look at hand made stuff and think "I can buy same thing at walmart for $1.99 and he wants $20, no way."

Wife makes quilts, she does very good work and she has a talent for picking nice color combinations. Her quilts look very good when done.
She was showing one of her latest project to neighbor lady.
Lady says "thats beautiful, what's something like that worth? $100 or more?"
Wife laughed and told her "the materials alone were over $300 and I have over 60 hours in it, what do you make for an hours worth of work and figure it out from there."

Handmade things are best marketed to people with the means to pay for the time and effort.
View Quote
pics of quilts!
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Bent up some wire I had hanging around.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#47]
My grandpa was very set on me taking his wood lathe. So i built another work bench to put it on.

I am basically moments away from becoming a professional bowl maker.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice old machine! You'd be surprised the amount of stuff that came off of one of them I bet! Will be a great spindle machine!  Doesn't look like it has enough throw for big bowls. Still. My machine can only do up to 12 inch stuff and it is plenty! Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#49]
Updated the center plate to full color. This one was max size I could turn.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Maple finial and Walnut hollow form/box.
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top