Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2021 10:48:55 PM EDT
Borosilicate glass bed with surface texture (basically an Ender 3V2 bed, but on a Voxelab printer).   210 deg. nozzle, 60 degree bed.  Hatchbox PLA.  This spool printed really well just a couple of days ago.  Now, nothing.

I have been printing a brim to try to increase adhesion.  I cleaned the bed with isopropyl alcohol (like I always do) and after that failed, I cleaned it under the sink with some hot water and dish detergent.  Re-leveled the bed.  Printing my 5th attempt right now and putting down the first layer, but it already looks a little suspect.

Usually it gets to about the 3rd or 4th layer before it just starts dragging the print around with the nozzle.

So, here's the one thing that I think might be the problem.  weeks back, I heard some squealing, squeaking sounds coming from the printer.  I added a dab of food safe, teflon impregnated silicone grease to the rods.  It was only weeks later when I heard the squeak as it happened that I realized it wasn't the guide rods, it was the stupid spool rubbing the plastic spool holder.

Fast forward to today, I noticed a shiny spot on the build plat.  I think it was a bit of this grease that somehow transferred to the build plate.  Now I'm concerned I have literally created a teflon non-stick build plate.  

As I'm typing this I am up to layer 2 and it looks like a bit of the brim might be curling up away from the plate already.

I don't have any pure acetone on hand so I can't try that.  I might see if I have any brake cleaner, carb cleaner or gun scrubber to try.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to Aquanet and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brake cleaner?
View Quote

Super solvent.  Strips the oil right out of your skin if you forget to wear gloves.

ETA:  No worries! Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water did the trick.  I just tried the print again and it is back to sticking like crazy and risking breaking the model before it comes loose.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Had the same issue this weekend with my sons ender. Found out that he was using petg instead of pla. Changed the settings and whalaa. It’s working again. He was a day into a 3 day print when it started messing up. Here it is now. Translucent orange Cheshire Cat pumpkin. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine did the same thing.

I washed the plate, and it got better for a while.

But eventually nothing would stick very well even right after cleaning with dish soap and hot water, so aquanet was the solution.

Oddly enough, I've never had much luck with glue sticks. Maybe I'm not using it right? You just smear a thin layer on the hot plate, right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had the best luck on my Ender 5 with just a rubbing alcohol wipe down followed by a liberal application of glue stick.

For larger prints of say greater than 100mm x 100mm, I'll drop the bed temp down to 50 after the 5th layer.

I primarily run Hatchbox filament at 210 also.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I found with PLA+ I was getting curling of my prints with a 60C bed. Dropped to 55C after 3 layers and it stopped that.

Also, make sure the nozzle isn't too far from the bed on the first layer. You don't want gaps between lines (too far), or ridges (too close), you want smooth (just right).

I've also found if I use teaching tech's first layer gcode when I actually print something and run it through the slicer I always have to adjust my Z offset lower from his gcode.

So, now I have a 2 inch cube I start printing after running through the slicer to dial in my z offset.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had the best luck on my Ender 5 with just a rubbing alcohol wipe down followed by a liberal application of glue stick.

For larger prints of say greater than 100mm x 100mm, I'll drop the bed temp down to 50 after the 5th layer.

I primarily run Hatchbox filament at 210 also.
View Quote

Usually, alcohol works great for me.  I was wiping down the bed while it was still warm, and you could feel the paper towels tugging at the surface.  It felt really clean.  But it the filament just wouldn't stick.

My Ender 3 has the same bed, but the default Cura profile for it has the bed temp at 50.  Nevertheless it still sticks very good on that printer as well.

I think the alcohol was just dissolving the grease and leaving a microscopic film behind or something.  Actually washing it with detergent worked.  I've printed a couple more things since last night and they were stuck very firmly to the bed.

I do have some glue sticks, but I have only used them with PETG so far.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been having the same issue.  Prints first few layers perfectly, then something happens and it starts dragging print around.  I think I found the problem...flat spot in one of the wheels on the x axis.  I was watching it print and noticed an odd jerk.  Tore it apart and found the flat on the bottom x axis wheel.  New set inbound.  The printer is about 4 years old now so i guess its no shame for parts to start wearing out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been having the same issue.  Prints first few layers perfectly, then something happens and it starts dragging print around.  I think I found the problem...flat spot in one of the wheels on the x axis.  I was watching it print and noticed an odd jerk.  Tore it apart and found the flat on the bottom x axis wheel.  New set inbound.  The printer is about 4 years old now so i guess its no shame for parts to start wearing out.
View Quote

Wheels suck, I replaced the wheels on my FDM printers to Linear Rails. I have gotten brand new wheels with defects and every tiny imperfection will show up as a bump and transfer to the print.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you check how level the bed is? I had sudden adhesion issues a while back, and one of the bed springs had failed, making leveling impossible.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]
fingerprints oil can cause problems, clean with alcohol. Also, different plastics can leave residue. Like If the bed was just used for PLA, then I try to print PETG on it. It Wont stick. Have to Scrub it
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I tracked this problem of bed adhesion down to filament moisture.  Older partially used rolls of filament sometimes sit on the machine for days and pick up moisture.  I bought a cheapo filament drier and the issue seems to have gone away.  Still need more experience w the filament drier but it wasn't expensive and is easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think I tracked this problem of bed adhesion down to filament moisture.  Older partially used rolls of filament sometimes sit on the machine for days and pick up moisture.  I bought a cheapo filament drier and the issue seems to have gone away.  Still need more experience w the filament drier but it wasn't expensive and is easy to use.
View Quote

I have to use a drier all summer since I use an evaporative cooler in the house that puts a ton of moisture in the air.  But in the winter with the furnace going the ambient RH is almost never above 20%.  You dry the filament once and it stays dry for like 5 months.  Also your skin looks like an onion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had very good luck with wiping it down with a small amount of denatured alcohol followed by a moist paper towel to get rid of the residue
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The absolute best stuff you can get for your printing is vision miner.   Hands down.  It sticks when it needs to stick and releases without any fuss when it is release time.   I can't imagine running our farm without it.  

Your fans will thank you for not using hairspray.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top