Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2019 10:07:25 PM EDT
I see the majority of people taking about RC and trains in here. Is this the appropriate place to discuss building a guitar from a kit?

I’ve wanted to build a solid body electric guitar for a while. I don’t have a ton of wood working tools so I’m leaning toward a kit that’s already routed for easy first time construction.

Anyone have any good luck with any specific kits?
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#1]
warmoth.com
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Just curious what you have plans on building.  What body style?  What type fingerboard?  What type pickups?  Active, passive?  What type bridge?  How about tuning pegs?  Standard or locking?  Tone/ volume configuration?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@SoloDallas maybe?
View Quote
Thanks for the mention brother.
Not a guitar builder, but know many AND sell guitar parts (that match our company philosophy of "simple ain't easy" etc.).

Hope you are safe brother.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't mind making a guitar body someday GBT has a wide variety of templates that take away the guesswork in drilling and cutting holes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Well eventually I want to build a doubleneck with a Gibson EDS-1275 copy with humbuckers, or a doubleneck with a Les Paul body with humbuckers. Both 6/12 string

I can get precut bodies in the EDS style online. The LP style would require a complete design and work by me.

I also want to build a Gibson Firebird clone eventually.

If it’s somethibg that I find fulfilling then I would be open to building all sorts of styles.  Mostly humbucker Gibson style but might consider some others once is get some experience in the work.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in high school I picked up a used Lotus Les Paul copy for $50.  It had this awful red metal flake finish, and the tuner pegs were shot.  I replaced the tuning pegs and stripped the paint and it looked ok in the raw.  The body was laminated wood, so the contours had that funky striped look.  I was learning electronics back then, and  at one time integrated a homebrew distortion pedal into controls cavity.  The circuit was based on an op am with LED's used as clipping diodes.  Two dials were left for volume and tone, while the other two set the gain and balance between clean and dirty sound.  Other than the pegs and cleaning up the edges of the frets, it was a very playable.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've made one from scratch, started a second.

Ended up building one a long time ago when my wife bought a cheap Strat copy with an amp for me. The neck was so soft I wanted to replace it. There was a place that was close called "Mighty Mite" that makes necks, so I went to their warehouse and bought one.  
It ended up not fitting into the "slot" on the body. Crap.

I was at Guitar Center one day, buying strings or something and when I got to the counter I saw a raw Strat body hanging on the wall. I asked "how much for the body?". Guy pulled it off the wall, looked at it and said "$10". I bought it. And it turns out it was made by Mighty Mite. The neck was a perfect fit.  I swapped the hardware from the cheapo and the rest is history.

My son took a guitar building class at the local community college and it included a kit. Not sure what the brand of the kit was though.

Get a quality neck and body, the rest of the hardware is easy to come by.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the third one I’ve put together and finished. The body and neck are Fender licensed from Warmoth, everything else is Genuine Fender. I used Guitar Reranch nitro lacquer for the finish. Spent around $800, but got what would cost 2-3 times that from the Fender Custom Shop.

Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Guitar Fetish

Their stuff is decent enough. Their higher end stuff is pretty nice

Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m making a telecaster with my son, I have a pile of walnut, so that’s the body. I’ve never made one before, so it will be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have built several partscasters of various flavors, it is not too difficult.  If you are looking for set necks, precisionguitarkits.com is the only game in town besides the Chinese junk kits.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have built one of the Chinese junk kits.  It was fun to build.  The tuners are complete crap and the strings that came with were mostly unusable. Neck was surprisingly straight and the frets were workable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Good tuners and good pickups would be my main concern.  Even with cheap imports I've run into acceptable bodies and necks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I've built three guitars it turned out great. Check out MJT bodies. They make some of the best custom bodies out there for great prices. Go look for those on his eBay auctions. You'll get them at a better price. Don't skimp on pick ups or hardware. I've bought necks from Warmoth and a couple places on eBay.  

One really important thing you need to pay attention to - make sure the neck fits in the neck pocket in the body correctly... and you have the correct neck angle.  You could have the best body and the best neck, if they dont fit/line up correctly you're fucked. You will have a piece of shit playing guitar. Sometimes you get lucky and you can put in a shim or two, but most of the time you have to have a really good router set up to fix everything correctly.

I know MJT will take your neck and make a body to fit that perfectly. Or, if you have and amazing luthier in your town, take the neck and body to them and have them line it up correctly. Then you can finish the rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top