Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 7:26:28 PM EDT
My parents dropped off my dad’s HO trains and gear this morning. Most of it is Tyco and AHM stuff from the mid 70s and early 80s. I’d like to do a small setup for my kids around the Christmas tree and possibly a small table top setup in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions for tracks? I was thinking something with a faux ballast base that I can set up on our tile floor around the tree and then at a later date setup on a table in a more permanent capacity. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hobby Lobby carries Bachmann EZtrack w/faux ballast last time I looked. Might be the easiest  solution.

Like this

ETA

It snaps together, stays together on floors, tables, and carpets. No nails, screws, or special tools needed. Assembles in minutes.

Straight
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Bachmann EZ track comes in two varieties, nickle-silver rail with gray roadbed, and steel with black road bed.
Go with the NS track with gray road bed. It won't rust like the steel rail, especially if you only plan on using it once a year.

KATO also makes some roadbed track but it's a little harder to find.

The Bachmann stuff is usually overpriced for what it is, might be better buying used on ebay or finding a deal on a complete train set that includes the track.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
And if you'd like to play with it a bit more them just Christmas, A cheap hollow core door will give you a small lay-out you can stand up in closet when not in use.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the ez track set ups. I think I’ll shop around for the grey based NS tracks. The door suggestion is an excellent idea. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Found THIS nosing around e-bay.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bachmann EZ track comes in two varieties, nickle-silver rail with gray roadbed, and steel with black road bed.
Go with the NS track with gray road bed. It won't rust like the steel rail, especially if you only plan on using it once a year.

KATO also makes some roadbed track but it's a little harder to find.

The Bachmann stuff is usually overpriced for what it is, might be better buying used on ebay or finding a deal on a complete train set that includes the track.
View Quote
I would second the above advice. That's what I do when I want to run some of my old trains. Bachman and others have printed booklets on layout configurations with part numbers to buy.

Second place would be Atlas True-Track.

ETA: Try modeltrainstuff.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#7]
For any of it, go around the rails lightly with an ink eraser or those abrasive sponge things,
just one or two passes, to clean the rails.

The old Tyco and AHM locos did not run well when new, so don't be disappointed if they run
rough, or not at all.

Since the turns will be tight, for your proposed usage, don't buy a 6-axle loco, instead buy
4 axle.  You won't be running DCC (Digital Command Control), so make sure the loco is
not decoder equipped.  Will probably say "DCC ready".  Tell the hobby shop you will be
using DC, not DCC.

There may be a coupler incompatibility issue... older cars and locos almost invariably had
"NMRA horn-hook" couplers.  Most all currently made stuff for the past 15-20 years come with
Kadee compatible couplers.  You may have to make an adapter car with a horn-hook on one
end, and Kadee on the other.  Get the hobby shop owner to assist you on this.

Another vote here, for you, for the Bachmann EZ-Track.  Kato is very expensive and I rarely
see it in shops.  The Atlas track with roadbed is good also, but rare.  EZ-Track is the most
common track with roadbed you will find.

Some tire balancing weights, the little square or rectangular ones with sticky adhesive will
help keep the cars on the rails.  Shorter cars (40'), 4 oz total weight, medium length cars
(50'-60'), 5-6 oz total weight.  Place the weight as low in the car as practical... on the floor
of boxcars, in gondolas, hide them under loads.  etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Some tire balancing weights, the little square or rectangular ones with sticky adhesive will
help keep the cars on the rails. Shorter cars (40'), 4 oz total weight, medium length cars
(50'-60'), 5-6 oz total weight. Place the weight as low in the car as practical... on the floor
of boxcars, in gondolas, hide them under loads. etc.
View Quote
I recall seeing blocks of steel glued in the bottom of some of my old cars, didin't register at the time why they put them there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
what part of PA is OP from?
only asking so maybe we can guide him to better hobby shops, if he doesn't already have one picked out.

kind of late to get track for Christmas,  by mail order, if that's the objective
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm from Lancaster county. I have a ez track set ordered and scheduled to arrive today. I'm still interested in any info on local hobbie shops though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm from Lancaster county. I have a ez track set ordered and scheduled to arrive today. I'm still interested in any info on local hobbie shops though.
View Quote
Me too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top