Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2023 7:21:58 PM EDT
I’m hosting another whiskey tasting night at my house this coming Friday. I’m working on figuring out the “flight”.

If you all were coming to a tasting as more or less whiskey novices, what would you be looking for? I can do a little of everything, i.e; some scotch, rye, bourbon, Japanese, and American. I could do strict bourbon with different proofs and finishes, I could do a CO specific flight, or a brand specific flight (Stranahans or Wild Turkey). Will have 10 drinkers tops and appropriate appetizers
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Monkey shoulder

4 roses single barrel

Angels envy rye

And for grins, I would throw in a fancy double Anejo tequila,  just to do something different but spicy...
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Monkey shoulder

4 roses single barrel

Angels envy rye

And for grins, I would throw in a fancy double Anejo tequila,  just to do something different but spicy...
View Quote

I’ll be choosing from what I currently have on hand. Around 50 bottles, and don’t have any of those. If I went scotch it would be a solid single malt not a blend
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not everyone cares for the same things.
On that note I think the idea of a smorgasbord would be a hit.

Pick a mid- proof  example of each, and ask have folks score each on a pad.

I'd set the Japanese at the opposite end from the scotch due to similarities,  might want to start with the Japanese, as they tend to be a bit light on flavor.

Japanese, American, bourbon, rye, scotch.

I like the idea of a flyer for dessert,  maybe a Mezcal?

View Quote

This is what I’ve been leaning towards. Makers 101 and WT101 so they can get a feel for rye vs wheat bourbon, Aberlour Abunnach for scotch, Nikka Coffey for the Japanese, and then either a straight rye or an American single malt. For desert I was going to do Flor De Cana 18 yr
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is what I’ve been leaning towards. Makers 101 and WT101 so they can get a feel for rye vs wheat bourbon, Aberlour Abunnach for scotch, Nikka Coffey for the Japanese, and then either a straight rye or an American single malt. For desert I was going to do Flor De Cana 18 yr
View Quote

Sounds lie a plan. I'm not sure about mixing agave spirits with grain spirits though - its never worked out well for me.
If they are real novices, I would keep plenty of bottled water handy to get a heads up on the hangover.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sounds lie a plan. I'm not sure about mixing agave spirits with grain spirits though - its never worked out well for me.
If they are real novices, I would keep plenty of bottled water handy to get a heads up on the hangover.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flor De Cana is a rum so it should be okay. I have some tequila, but not enough to share.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I keep checking my ims, i can't seem to find my invitation......

I'd drink every bit of that.
Sounds like good times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep checking my ims, i can't seem to find my invitation......

I'd drink every bit of that.
Sounds like good times.

Can you get to CO by Friday?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I would do all Bourbons, and all around the same proof, just different distillers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I would do all Bourbons, and all around the same proof, just different distillers. Then the next time different Scotches.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:58:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would do all Bourbons, and all around the same proof, just different distillers. Then the next time different Scotches.
View Quote

Yeah, throw in different mash bills so they can learn to differentiate between high rye bourbons and others.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Flor De Cana is a rum so it should be okay. I have some tequila, but not enough to share.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well....here's a link to help solve your Tequila / Mezcal deficiency...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Agave-Spirits-101-Tequila-Mezcal-Bacanora-Raicilla-Sotol-/185-2240620/
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
just found out thru DNA that I have a lot lof Scot in me. what's a good traditional scotch whisky I should try?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Whisk(e)ys of the World
Scotch (peated and unpeated)
Irish (blended and single pot)
American (bourbon and rye)
Japanese
And ????
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Makers Mark cask strength
Old forester 1910
Buffalo trace/Weller SR
Redemption wheated
Old grad dad bottled in bond
Evan Williams bottled in bond
Jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof
Wild Turkey rare breed/101
Elijah Craig small batch
4 roses small batch
Russels reserve small batch (store pick if you can find one)

Pick any combination of these and blind test them all. See where they rank. All but one should be fairly easy to obtain.

Don’t like mixing rye/scotch/bourbon/Irish whiskey personally as the profiles are fairly distinct so when doing flights prefer common “themes”
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer liquor on the sweet side. I’m not fond of whiskey grabbing my throat like Darth Vader. That said, from my cabinet I’d go basic for new folks:

The Balvine Caribbean Cask
Jameson Black Barrel
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Bulleit or Michter’s Straight Rye
And for fun, finish with Three Olives Triple Espresso
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any survivors?
View Quote

I woke up that morning with a very sore throat and a102 fever. Went to urgent care….strep. I’m still laid up
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Damn, sorry to hear it, hope you're over the hump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I woke up that morning with a very sore throat and a102 fever. Went to urgent care….strep. I’m still laid up

Damn, sorry to hear it, hope you're over the hump.

Getting there I think lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top