Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2022 5:34:23 PM EDT
I wear a gshock square as my everyday watch to work, gym, the range, hiking, etc. but I also have automatics I wear depending on the occasion and dress code. I have one automatic in particular that is worn at least once or twice a week and I was considering getting a winder for it. This is solely to avoid setting the date and time once or twice a week.

Is the winder worth it?

What winder would you recommend for under $1k?

I dislike the idea of spending that much on a winder but I have seen some crazy expensive ones, I have no experience with winders so I am not sure what is realistic here as far as cost expectations.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
For automatics I have, I’ll just suck it up and set the time once a week. It saves wear and tear.  No harm letting them sit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are keeping it in your bedroom.
Spend the money and get a WOLF they are so quite.

If you are like me, and keeping them locked in your gun safe
I get the cheapest ones off Amazon. For like $40
And they go out I just replaced them

What ever I do, I always get single winders.
Because you would hate for one to go out & half to replace the hole thing.

Learn from my mistakes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For automatics I have, I’ll just suck it up and set the time once a week. It saves wear and tear.  No harm letting them sit.
View Quote

This.

I have one I didn’t wear for at least 4 years. It works fine. I just shook it a little and it runs ok.

I have to reset the time a couple of times a week but that’s more because it’s a semi-replica watch I think.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For automatics I have, I'll just suck it up and set the time once a week. It saves wear and tear.  No harm letting them sit.
View Quote
Same.

I had 4 vintage automatics rehabbed a couple of years ago. I asked my jeweler about winders. He recommended against it, especially with older watches because worn out parts are getting harder to replace.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pretty nice teak winder for my sea dweller. It worked for a few yrs, now it's just a brick.

I have my watch serviced every year or 2 (Not cheap) but I won't buy another winder.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a pretty nice teak winder for my sea dweller. It worked for a few yrs, now it's just a brick.

I have my watch serviced every year or 2 (Not cheap) but I won't buy another winder.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just going to ask about winders.  My dad just gave me his old Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date Just, and I don't plan on wearing it everyday.  So, I am better off just setting it when I do?  Or is there a winder that only runs on a timer, just enough to keep it up to date?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't need to spend $1k for a winder.

I bought THIS winder for my sub and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a wolf winder as suggested above as it will sit in my bedroom, ill let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a waste of money.  $700/year.  Servicing should be done every 5-7 years, or "as needed" when it's no longer keeping accurate time.  With today's wait times from the Rolex Service Center, you'd be without your watch for several months out of each year.  Are you pressure testing it each time you have it serviced?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
In my estimation, $1000 winders exist because companies can sell them to people who buy $15,000 watches. Functionally, the cheap ones work fine even if they are a little noisier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top