Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2021 6:24:00 PM EDT
Well, I haven't really visited this forum until recently.  I saw a couple of people talking about Doxa Subs and decided to ask about mine.

I have a Sub 300T Sharkhunter with the Aqua Lung/ US Divers logo. It works perfectly fine, and has the beads of rice bracelet. I have the numbers off of the back as well.

I'm trying to figure out what I can about it and it's worth. I know there is a small following of these watches and a desire to own them. I'm thinking of possibly selling it to get something I will.actually wear day to day. I would appreciate any info on the year and possible value (if I'm allowed to ask that here....This is not just a price check thread!) I truly want to know more about it.

I got it from the original owner and it has probably never been serviced. It was given to me over 20 years ago, but not a family heirloom or sentimental in any way that would make me keep it. The only reason I would get rid of it, however, would be to use that toward another watch.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don’t get an answer here, try the DOXA forum at WatchUSeek
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, according to this site, Synchron owned DOXA from 1970 to 1978 https://www.doxa300t.com/ice300t/ice300t2.htm
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent old Sharkie!

Definitely jump over to WUS, the Doxa forum there has undergone some change in the last year or so but still running strong. Dr. Peter Millar (AKA the Flyingdoctor), probably the authority on vintage Doxas, is a frequent contributor, and the crew there would live to see your watch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool watch.  Too beat up to wear?  Might be fun to see if anybody can clean it up and replace the bezel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
That watch has some miles on it. I hope some of mine look like that one day. That's a life well earned.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool watch.  Too beat up to wear?  Might be fun to see if anybody can clean it up and replace the bezel.
View Quote

No, besides the wear on the bezel, the rest is in great shape for what it is. The bracelet is perfect and the face and hands are clean and still glows. It keeps perfect time. It needs to be cleaned up, but I don't know the proper way to give it a good cleaning or what to use. I'm certain it could be polished up and maybe the number repainted, and look great. I wore it for long time, but it is heavy and has a small face so I haven't worn it in a long time. It is a tool I'm told and some people like the "used" look of it. Like I said, the only reason I would get rid of it would be to put it toward a nice watch I would wear more. I'd like an Omega, and I think that would put a nice dent in the cost.

When I wear it, people either don't know anything about it, or make a point to come talk about it. I would like to at least have it properly cleaned up and kept original. I also don't really want to put money I to it unless it would raise the value over the cost of having it done. I have $0 in the watch, so it wouldn't hurt to put a little into it. I simply just hate the fact it sits when someone would probably desire it and I could get something that I would wear.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Also, one other thing. The clasp will pop open sometimes, with some wrist flex. Probably a little tooth on the adjuster is a little off.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Then put it on some doxa forum and see what it might be worth.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
About five years ago, when I was paying more attention, nice, serviced ones were selling for 2-3K.

With significantly less for poor condition ones.

It would jot surprise if it has gone up since.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't polish it, but a good cleaning with warm soapy water and tooth brush would go a long way. But, I'd get it serviced first to to include checking/replacing all the seals/gaskets.

ETA: If you get it serviced, you can probably get it deep cleaned at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been using a product called AWESOME that I bought from lowes, it's bio-friendly citrus degreaser that I've had good results with cleaning other things.  Poured some in a small jar and dropped my old stainless Gruen Epic that hadn't been cleaned in years in it and lightly shook it for about a minute.  I couldn't believe the amount of crud that came off, it was rather disturbing, rinsed in water and done.  Didn't even need to scrub/brush it.  If it weren't for the scratches, it would have looked like new, really was quite remarkable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't polish it, but a good cleaning with warm soapy water and tooth brush would go a long way. But, I'd get it serviced first to to include checking/replacing all the seals/gaskets.

ETA: If you get it serviced, you can probably get it deep cleaned at the same time.
View Quote

This.  However that outer ring of the bezel looks really worn down….perhaps camera lighting is doing it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one similar. Sent you an email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top