Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I am of the opinion that anyone who spends over $300 for a watch has a mental illness.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am of the opinion that anyone who spends over $300 for a watch has a mental illness.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Simply put, no they are not getting too expensive for ‘their’ own good. The wait lists and unavailability prove that point alone.  Just about any manufacture would die to have such demand.  Have they become too expensive for the common working man?  Yes, likely for many they have.   Their retail price has way outpaced inflation significantly over the years.

I been researching watches for nearly 3 years.   Earlier this year, I started to get serious about picking my luxury watch.   Since I do not dress up often, I was mostly considering a steel diver.  I love the new Submariner but I will not pay the inflated grey market prices that Rolex commands.   We have no watch dealers in our area but when on vacation I got a chance to see several I been interested in.  On the diver front, I was able to try the Omega Seamaster and Tudor Black Bay 58.  Both are fantastic watches, but neither had the special feeling (to me) that I think a luxury product should.  I also got to try the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and JLC Reverso.  I really did love both of these more than I expected.  However I was still hoping to get a Diver first.  

I really didn't plan on buying until next year anyhow, so I felt I should try my luck on some Rolex AD waiting lists with the offhand chance they might call me next year.  Shockingly one called me back within a week with a Submariner Date available!   I wasn’t ready as I hoped but I couldn’t turn down the opportunity.   I bought the watch and now 4 months later still loving it as much as day one.  I wear it almost daily.

Anything more than a $50 Casio or Timex is a choice for fashion or luxury.  The one thing that helped me justify my purchase is that this is something I can own and enjoy, but if I ever decide to sell I should be able to sell for more than I paid for it.  Not many things we purchase can say the same.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No I don't I think watches are awesome.

I think buying a 10k watch while you are living in an apartment and have $877 in your 401k is dumb shit. In other words making poor financial decisions.

Is a 10k Rolex a good investment today is the question,  and the answer is " If you have a widely diversified and well funded portfolio then quite possibly yes. If you are driving an 86 Corolla and working at Best Buy then probably not."
View Quote

Rolex is literally the best watch you can buy while rolling around in an 86 Corolla.

Why on earth would you think buying another brand is a smarter financial decision?  Why buy a $200 cheapo watch that will be worth nearly nothing in two years when you can buy a nice Rolex that will likely appreciate in value?  And you get to enjoy it daily?  I'm not seeing the problem here.

Obviously if you have debt and other financial obligations it might not make sense, but let's be real here, most people buying $10K watches "shouldn't" be financially strapped(and most honestly aren't"

I'm still waiting on the call to go buy my new Deepsea James Cameron.  I'll be buying it with "fuck you money".

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clutch those pearls!

This website is dedicated to $2-3k toys that cost .$60 per bang….

Swiss timepieces provide enjoyment that’s worth it to me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mentally ill watch owners, all wings report in

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top