Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 5/30/2022 4:05:18 PM EDT
I stumbled across a Dacor aluminum 80 and a Luxfer aluminum 80, made in ‘82 and ‘83 respectively. None of my local dive shops will touch them due to their age and alloy, so  before I scrap them out, I was wondering if anybody had some neat project ideas for old tanks.

Bells? Parking bollards? Ash trays? Lamps?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Long range hanging 22 targets
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut the bottoms and make some wind chimes out of them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Drill out. Fill with tannerite, shoot from 500 yards.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Introduce them to Vera, Jayne.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Water bong?

Camp stove

Lamp- great idea!

Drill slit-- piggy bank?

Cut top off, umbrella stand?

Toss into sharks mouth and shoot
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 3 steel and 2 aluminum waaay out of date tanks that I am saving. One day I will make a giant “mobile” wind chime (bells) that I have seen done in the Florida Keys.

You could also make a couple mobile air tanks for  filling tires or general compressed air use. You just need an old regulator and a small compressor to fill them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If there is a place that will hydro fire extinguisher bottles, take them there and ask if they will do them.

I have 2Luxfer tanks made in 85 that I can still get hydro'd.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
@FB41 Don’t these alloy tanks also require eddy current testing?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
@FB41 Don’t these alloy tanks also require eddy current testing?
View Quote

At a dive shop- yes.

I dunno about the facility that I use- I never asked and they stamped them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Your dive shop is clueless or being jerks. Unless they were made in a very narrow production window the tanks should be fine. I used tanks last week that were manufactured in 1974.

Luxfor 6351 alloy guide
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
Your dive shop is clueless or being jerks. Unless they were made in a very narrow production window the tanks should be fine. I used tanks last week that were manufactured in 1974.

Luxfor 6351 alloy guide
View Quote

I’m not an expert, but that document says that ALL the listed tanks made before 87-88 are made of 6351. I can certainly get them hydroed and eddy tested, but if I can’t get them filled then it’s wasted money. I’ll call the fire service company tomorrow and see what they can offer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I called the local fire extinguisher shop, and they said they would gladly hydro test them, but they don’t have eddy current testing, nor do they know of anybody nearby who does.

I called a few other dive shops and got the same answers as before: no fill, even with current hydro and eddy.

One shop did have a neat craft suggestion though: make it into a mailbox!
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I managed to double my money selling them to someone putting them in a kinetic sculpture. Proceeds are going towards a steel tank.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top