Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 7:38:45 AM EDT
I keep seeing stuff about pumps and was wondering how I'd fit one in to my rig.  I use a 10 gal cooler to mash.  Then I batch sparge.  Then I boil.  Then I use a wort chiller to get it to pitching temps.  

I guess I could add the pump to the boiling/chilling side of brewing.  I could use the pump to whirlpool and recirculate wort until it's chilled.  

Where did you add a pump in your rig?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one. For years I used gravity to get my wort from one place to another. However, the past 18-24 months or so I've made significant upgrades to my equipment in the form of a Blichman 15 gal kettle, 7 gallon conical fermentor, burner with leg extensions, and a plate chiller.

I don't have the height that I use to have with my new burner so it's a little tricky to use gravity to transfer from my kettle to my fermentor. Right now I'm making it work through sheer brute force but that's getting old. I've thought about getting something like the Blichman Top Tier, however I BIAB so that's really a bit overboard for one brew pot. The leg extensions work wonderfully on the burner and that's really all I need. The cheapest solution is using a pump to transfer my liquids around.

As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You can use quick disconnects and use the pump for multiple purposes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Where did you add a pump in your rig?
View Quote
all phases. I don't know why you would waste the money and not use it for everything.

I use it for preheating the mash tun, filling the mash, sparging, wort transfer.

if you meant a simple pump for the wort chiller, then I got nothing

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I use one on my top tier but it's not self-priming so I use gravity to prime. Having a pump is very handy but you need to think out your location if you don't go with a self-prim pump. I don't believe there's a self primer out there that can take boiling worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top