Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:31:14 PM EDT
The local homebrew shop is taking orders for hops rhizomes.  Thinking I might try my hand at some.  Just afraid I cannot provide enough vertical space for them to grow.  But for $5 a plant I might as well try.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
i wish, i cant grow sheeet here in South Florida...
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#2]
My friend planted some last year, he's expecting to have his first real harvest this year. I can't wait to get my hands on a bunch of fresh Cascade!

I'm really bummed his Saaz died, I use a lot of Saaz.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep I am. I have a bunch of Cascade every year. Off 1 Rhizome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The local homebrew shop is taking orders for hops rhizomes.  Thinking I might try my hand at some. Just afraid I cannot provide enough vertical space for them to grow.  But for $5 a plant I might as well try.

I grew mine horizontal last year. I had them grow up a pole about 4 feet then I trained them to grow around some rope between some stakes.

I'll have 6 plants growing this year,most likely the same way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I grow Cascade here on the shore of Virginia. Mine grow up about 6-7 feet, then I train them horizontally.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
arrow hops is wher eI ordered mine.  got 8 rhizones for about 30 bucks.

Cascade, nugget, willimate, and brewers gold.

will be shiped in late march
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Planted my hops yesterday...they are now shipping from the Willamette Vally (about 25 miles south of home, south of Porkland).
Got them from Norhtwest Hops

Planted Cascade, Willamette, and Mt. Hood rhizomes...pics to follow when they start to grow.
Planted one in the ground near my tomato patch...this one will allow the hops to grow along side the house outside bedroom windows...
The other two in containers for now...will adjust by next season.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine owns Hoppy Acres.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Have been selling my second generation Cascade rhizomes on ebay with good results. It's good to be able to divide and let others propagate. My composted manure does wonders. Don't forget that you need nice, loose soil if planting for the first time. I added coarse sand, compost, leaf mold, etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
My bines are finally mature.  We got about half a pound per bine last year, but the heat destroyed everything.  We didn't get any rain for almost all of July-August and they just couldn't take it.

I'm hoping to get a good harvest this year.  Growing Goldings, Hallertau, and Tettnang.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered 7 rhizomes to plant this year.  So now I've been working on designing a trellis...  I can't wait to brew up a big Imperial IPA
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine are on their third year.  Its supposed to be the year they start producing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
$5 per "plant" sounds like a good start

bugs ruined my cascade last year
hoping this year works out better...
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I grow Cascade. It does well in WV.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Just so you guys know,don't let your dogs eat any hops,they can get sick or even DIE.That's what the homebrew shop guy told me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just so you guys know,don't let your dogs eat any hops,they can get sick or even DIE.That's what the homebrew shop guy told me.

That is true!

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is true!
I forgot the medical term for it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is true!

malignant hyperthermia.  Oddly enough, I researched it today after reading a thread about crossfit, which lead to a google search for crossfit women, which led me to a link about crossfit causing Rhabdomyalosis, which led to malignant hyperthermia.  Eventually I ended up reading about horses who had kidney failure after extreme exertion.  

I really need to shut the computer down for today.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is true!

malignant hyperthermia.  Oddly enough, I researched it today after reading a thread about crossfit, which lead to a google search for crossfit women, which led me to a link about crossfit causing Rhabdomyalosis, which led to malignant hyperthermia.  Eventually I ended up reading about horses who had kidney failure after extreme exertion.  

I really need to shut the computer down for today.  

Damn, you use the Internet like I do. I can get stuck on Wikipedia for hours clicking down the rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My bines are finally mature.  We got about half a pound per bine last year, but the heat destroyed everything.  We didn't get any rain for almost all of July-August and they just couldn't take it.

I'm hopping to get a good harvest this year.  Growing Goldings, Hallertau, and Tettnang.

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Third year on my hop growing experiment. First year my Chinook died (rotted in the ground) and my Centennial produced a handful of cones (>1/4oz). Last year I only had enough structure for it to grow 6' vertical, and it took over everything within a 10 foot horizontal radius as well. Some days the vines would grow almost 2 feet from when I checked them the day before. I ended up with around a lb and a half of cones, and a lot of cones turned brown on the vine because I didn't plan on needing to pick every day for 2 weeks.

This year I plan on staking a second trestle about 15' away and training it to grow up then out towards that. And since it's already sprouting, I'm already thinking it's going to outpace my expectations, again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top