Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 11:01:56 PM EDT
Got a good deal on a 12" from Amazon, and it's coming in tomorrow.  Should I polish the the inside with sanding disc, or use it as is?

What says Arfcom Escoffiers?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots and lots of bacon is all that is needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone who has done it has been happy with the results, and had their pan come out looking like vintage pans after use instead of just modern lodge pans.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the best method, tool etc for polishing a cast iron pot. I have a couple I would like to use more often.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I polished mine to a shine then the seasoning wouldn't stick. It flaked off. So I simply sand blasted it. The surface is still really smooth / flat but it was frosted. That way the seasoning has something to grab on to.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Out of the box. Seasoned. Done. Never washed. Works great.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Polish is probably the wrong word for it.  Smoothing is what I am trying at.  From what I saw on YouTube videos they used rust stripper disc attached to power drill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it "raw" cast iron (i.e. unseasoned)? Every unseasoned Lodge skillet I have owned was good to go after a couple of seasoning sessions in the oven with no polishing needed. Lodge makes a pretty refined unseasoned product, not like the cheap Chinese stuff you run across. Some of the cheap cast iron can be used to grate cheese with its so rough. I have grown spoiled by purchasing Lodge pre-seasoned lately but the patina on the ones I did myself definity have more character.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Just cook a lot of meat in it. The fattier the better. Today, my Lodge is amazingly nonstick, even better than my Wagner Ware which I use much less frequently. Took about 3 months to get the amazing nonstick quality, and I've been using it for about 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it "raw" cast iron (i.e. unseasoned)? Every unseasoned Lodge skillet I have owned was good to go after a couple of seasoning sessions in the oven with no polishing needed. Lodge makes a pretty refined unseasoned product, not like the cheap Chinese stuff you run across. Some of the cheap cast iron can be used to grate cheese with its so rough. I have grown spoiled by purchasing Lodge pre-seasoned lately but the patina on the ones I did myself definity have more character.
View Quote
Hi guy who works for Lodge!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use Lodge too. His post doesn't read like a shill post. I agree with everything he said.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nah, just a guy who has used cast iron to cook for quite a while. I  learned  a thing or three when I was the only one cooking to feed my kids. Kind of have to after you lose your wife.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Those who have sanded the inside smooth, do you season only the inside, or do you strip and season the whole thing?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I polished one and the seasoning keeps flaking off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those who have sanded the inside smooth, do you season only the inside, or do you strip and season the whole thing?
View Quote
I stripped mine completely before sanding. I didn't want to go through a bunch of sanding wheels due to them getting loaded up with seasoning.

I'd strip it regardless. You can end up with grit from the paper imbedded in the side of the pan. Then have it come loose when your cooking. Would you really want a few grains of aluminum oxide grit in your food?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never sanded or polished mine. I just cooked a lot of bacon in it initially. Then cooked even more. It's smooth now with a nice black finish.
I use my CI all the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent two hours today sanding the inside down, first with stripping disc, then 40, 80, 120 grit then back to stripping disc to finish.  The stripping disc would flatten the bumps and remove seasoning, but not remove much metal.  Make those $80 pre-smoothed skillets almost worthwhile.  But this is fun.

I guess there are as many opinions on sanding and seasoning as there are cast iron owners.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I've done it and won't do it again. If I had a new one I would just season it a few times, use it to bake a few times, stovetop season it after every use for a while and wait to use it for eggs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I seasoned it last night with coconut oil, mainly because it was handy; two 30 min. at 450 degrees, and one 1 hour at 400 degrees.  The inside turned a dark bronze tint.

I fried an egg this morning with a little oil.  There were spots of sticking, but I was able to do an over-easy without breaking the yolk.

I think it's a good start.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got four Lodge pans. I've never seasoned any of them and eggs will slide right out with very little butter. Just use the thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Lodge skillet sanding test, it worked! Lodge skillet for Christmas! #sandlodgeskillet
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Polish is probably the wrong word for it.  Smoothing is what I am trying at.  From what I saw on YouTube videos they used rust stripper disc attached to power drill.
View Quote
Polish is the wrong word.  I did it once - never again.

I now, if I do it at all, is just smooth to what I call "50% shine".  That is, about 50% of the surface shines, all I've done is smooth the outer surface somewhat and honed off the rougher higher surface finish.  I use a 60 grit flap wheel.  Don't overdo it.

The clean, and oil immediately!  Oil it all, inside, outside, handle, everything.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I did the first serious cooking with the skillet today with a boned-in ribeye.

I don't know if it's the heat, or if I was too vigorous in trying to smooth out the pits around the bottom of the skillet, but I notice oil tend to run off to the side as the skillet heats up.  Otherwise it performed as expected.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did the first serious cooking with the skillet today with a boned-in ribeye.

I don't know if it's the heat, or if I was too vigorous in trying to smooth out the pits around the bottom of the skillet, but I notice oil tend to run off to the side as the skillet heats up.  Otherwise it performed as expected.
View Quote
do you have a straight edge to see if the pan is bowed in the center ? sometimes extreme temp changes quickly will warp the metal, like hot pan cleaned with cold water, or cold pan onto a hot burner.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I checked and the center is bowed.  Most likely I sanded the side too much.  I always waited 'til it's warm to touch before I rinse it.

Sand and re-season?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#27]
if its bowed i wouldn't think its from too much sanding, as that would be a shitload of sanding. i would make the pan a bacon n eggs pan or steak pan , or dedicated cornbread cooking pan
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I started by using one of the 3M rust remover wheels chucked in a drill but then after looking at some of the old cast iron, and some of the new high end cast iron I decided to sand with my random orbit and 120 grit paper.  After I smooth the pan I put a thin layer of shortening on it, and bake it at 350F for an hour then shut the oven off to let cool naturally.  I do this a minimum of three times before I use new pans.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56812/Lodge_skillet-287794.jpg
View Quote
That's about how far I took my flat iron down before a seasoned with bacon grease on the gas grill. It is slick as snot after one seasoning.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I sanded mine down to smooth shiny bare metal. I gave it two half hour cycles of lard seasoning. Then I cooked over easy eggs without using a spatula. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Cook lots of bacon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Griswold-cook in it and use metal spatula for 40 years, it be seasoned and smoothed.   Buy used one, scape it off (or burn it off),  oil and heat it up.  My set of three now cleans off with a paper towel (mostly).  

There are some advantages to being older. :)
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#32]
after sanding, fill with Vinegar and bring to a slow boil for about thirty minutes to etch the surface before seasoning.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
after sanding, fill with Vinegar and bring to a slow boil for about thirty minutes to etch the surface before seasoning.
View Quote
Interesting, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Hit it with a 60 grid DA sander.  Finish with 120.  No need to polish, but it is good to knock down that shitty rough surface that Lodge comes with.  It only takes a few minutes. 

I have done a lot of pans for friends.  I hate the new Wagner and Lodge skillets.  They are too thick and heat up too slowly. 
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Griswold-cook in it and use metal spatula for 40 years, it be seasoned and smoothed.
View Quote
Mine's almost 100 years old and gets used daily. Yeah, I'm just bragging.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't do it like that. Looks like that guy managed to hog out the corners of the pan and give it a raised profile in the center- like a flat dome, not to mention probable raised spots and depressions from running the grinder over it willy-nilly. I'd just use an orbital or vibratory hand sander and not get up in the edges like that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#37]
We have one a year or two ago.  The cooking surface had a little texture when we got it, but its almost as smooth as our Wagner Ware 9" Chef's Skillet now.  No complaints at all.  Before I bought it, I was thinking about paying a premium on ebay for a 12" Wagner but thought I'd try the much cheaper Lodge first.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
After over two months of regular use, it has acquired a nice dull brown patina with some black patches.

I found the trick is to heat up the pan first, then add just enough oil to coat and let the oil get hot, and it's good to go.  I'd start at low medium heat while I do prep works, then turn it high when I'm ready.  Steak, egg, fish, no problem.

After it cools, rinse with hot water and wipe dry.  Any stuck bits come off easily.  It's my favorite go to pan now, if only it's not so heavy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#39]
flax seed oil

small amount to cover skillet...put in oven at 500 for an hour

let cool in oven

repeat

ETA:  this was the process I did when I first got it. No sanding/polishing etc
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine's almost 100 years old and gets used daily. Yeah, I'm just bragging.
View Quote
I only started using them 40 years ago, they were my grandparents.  Also just bragging.  However I would buy old pans before any new ones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I sanded mine and it helped a bit. Kind of wish I had sanded it a little bit more than I did but I have a pretty good season on it now and don't want to have to rebuild that
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Easier to find an old unmarked Griswold or unmarked Wagner. They can be easily found for 15-35 bucks

The Lodge roughness is to assist the "foundry seasoning" I wish Lodge would run a line of unseasoned thinner pans.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I wouldn't do it like that. Looks like that guy managed to hog out the corners of the pan and give it a raised profile in the center- like a flat dome, not to mention probable raised spots and depressions from running the grinder over it willy-nilly. I'd just use an orbital or vibratory hand sander and not get up in the edges like that.
View Quote
+1 looks like a good way to have imperfections that weren't there. Lodges pre-seasoned pans are fine as they are.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got a good deal on a 12" from Amazon, and it's coming in tomorrow.  Should I polish the the inside with sanding disc, or use it as is?

What says Arfcom Escoffiers?
View Quote
It isn't a good deal.  Hit some antique stores or buy one on ebay.  Modern cast iron is too thick.

Since you already fucked up, sand it with 60 grit in a DA and follow that with 120.  It will only take a few minutes.  Rough vs smooth is a very hard science thing that is difficult for many to understand.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I checked and the center is bowed.  Most likely I sanded the side too much.  I always waited 'til it's warm to touch before I rinse it.

Sand and re-season?
View Quote

It would be hard to sand cast iron enough to heat it to bowing without catching your sander on fire.  Sand the outside base too, it is already way too thick and will probably fix the bowing. 

If the bowing is too significant to deal with, ask the Amazon vendor for a return slip.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a "problem child" Chinese pan that shows tool marks from when they tried to clean up the original casting. I have other skillets, so I have little to lose by working this one over a little. I will proceed next weekend and report back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a "problem child" Chinese pan that shows tool marks from when they tried to clean up the original casting. I have other skillets, so I have little to lose by working this one over a little. I will proceed next weekend and report back.
View Quote
I decided to give the Chinese problem child one more chance, and re-seasoned it with flaxseed oil. It's behaving now, so it won't get polished.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Let's Settle This: How to Care for Cast-Iron
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Polishing a modern Lodge skillet gets you a polished (usually too damn much) and  uneven surface that is still heavy as hell skillet. Modern Lodge rough surfaced skillets work fine, there really is no need to screw with them.
IF you want a smooth surface, buy a vintage pan. There are tons of them out there for decent prices. I just grabbed 3 Wagners and a 50's era Lodge for $10 a piece.

Not all Griswolds and Wagners are collectors items, they made plenty of unmarked cookware as well. You can get unmarked  vintage irons all over the place. Vintage Lodge is also smooth.

Right now, if you want a smooth cast iron skillet, for can grab them all day long for under $35 on Ebay

$40 for this just last weekend. (in there are 3 Wagners and one old Lodge) None collectible but all very serviceable. Check your local area,

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I sand/grind every lodge piece I get.. I dont even have to oil or butter my pans to keep eggs from sticking anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top