Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2013 6:13:18 PM EDT
For whatever reason, the subject of eating raccoons came up with my son and I.  Saw a bunch of recipes on line but would like to get the opinion of someone that's actually eaten raccoon.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was younger, we'd just shake and bake them (BBQ shake and bake IIRC). Was pretty good, haven't had any in years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i was born in southeast louisana eat many raccoon heck still do, i smoke them or put in oven in roaster pan covered in barbecue sauce
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Warning, They can carry rabies without showing any symptoms.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never actually eaten one, but my dad used to tell me that baking them with sweet potatoes was delicious.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up eating BBQ'd coon. It's a lot like slightly greasy dark turkey meat. Makes killer sammiches with mayo.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that they looked like a skinned poodle was somewhat off-putting for me. Otherwise, BBQ is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have eaten it several ways. A lot of folks will say it has a very gamy taste. If it isn't skinned just right it will. There are several scent glands on a coon. They are located in the pits of the arms and legs, and look like small kernels of corn. If those aren't removed you will never eat one again. I would say it is close to squirrel and rabbit as far as taste and texture. Not identical, but close.

As far as recipes, BBQ is good. I usually parboil mine before cooking. I do this for 2 reasons. One is to tenderize the meat some. The other is to cook away some of the grease. Coon meat is fairly greasy and parboiling will free up a good bit of the grease. You can add seasoning to the water you parboil in if you plan to BBQ it. If you look on here I put up my Sauce Picquant recipe. I have done it a good bit with coon. It is very good done that way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#8]
My buddy puts them in a pressure cooker and changes the water twice to get the grease out before throwing them on the grill with some sweet baby rays.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My grandparents who were genuine northen Arkansas Ozark hillbillies ate Raccoon.
The grandfather and I would parboil the fat off the whole carcass outside.
Grandmother would then put the carcass in a blue enameled roaster with sweet potatoes and pepper.  Cook about 4 hours and it was falling off the bone.
Not bad stuff.  I remember it being pretty rich.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Love 'em...taste just like possum
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread gives me mixed feelings.

On one hand, I want to barf.

On the other hand, I'll try anything once!

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My grandparents who were genuine northen Arkansas Ozark hillbillies ate Raccoon.
The grandfather and I would parboil the fat off the whole carcass outside.
Grandmother would then put the carcass in a blue enameled roaster with sweet potatoes and pepper.  Cook about 4 hours and it was falling off the bone.
Not bad stuff.  I remember it being pretty rich.
View Quote

This FTW!!!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Proper cooking will kill rabies, transport and prep are where you need to take precautions.

Also never eat any central nervous system part (brain/spine).
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Hands down, the best ribs I've ever eaten were raccoon ribs.   I do not have the recipe, but I wish I did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Proper cooking will kill rabies, transport and prep are where you need to take precautions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the cooking didn't kill it, the shake n bake would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top