Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice article, but the writer seems a little biased.

I am an IIT for Appleseed. It is worth every penny of the $70 I paid for my first shoot, and I'll continue to go to as many Appleseeds as work will allow. The history lessons don't "glorify" militias; rather they explain the resolve, commitment, and reservation of the early American militias. They also teach us that the superior marksmanship of the American colonists was a force multiplier against the large (but poorly trained) masses of British soldiers.

Appleseed truly is an exceptional organization. It should be a required course for all American high school students IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
“On the surface, their giving people an opportunity to shoot is not something we think, in the broadest way, is a problem,” said Bill Nigut, southeast regional director of ADL.

“But the first thing they do is have participants sit through a lecture about the Revolutionary War and the colonists who formed a militia who won the Revolution, and that clearly makes us uncomfortable.”

Nigut said the ADL has noted — through watching forums and online comments — that some participants feel that if government does become intrusive, they have the right to overthrow it by force.

“We have never heard the leaders say that,” Nigut said. “They walk a fine line and stay on the right side of that line.

(But) they glorify the militias of the Revolutionary War and citizens who took up arms. It does lead you in the direction of thinking about the value of that.”

Facts regarding American history make the Anti-Defamation League uncomfortable.

This poor bastard wants something to complain about and be threatened by so badly that he just can't stand the fact that this group just wants to help people learn to shoot paper targets.  

The volunteers with Appleseed do a heck of a good job, and I applaud them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top