Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree with Australian shepherd - small mid-size and one of the top three smartest dogs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One of the biggest mistakes made is to assume that all herding breeds retained their herding instinct. Herding ability is a fragile characteristic, easily lost if not intentionally bred for and fostered carefully from generation to generation.  That chasing of children and cars isn't herding instinct, it's prey drive, a much deeper seated and necessary survival instinct that isn't as easily lost and is found in almost all canines. Poodles were originally bred as hunting retrievers, but very few actually retain that ability today.

It can't, as someone posted earlier, be trained back into a dog. Instinct, once lost, can't be replaced in that individual through training. I have dogs who work, really work, and I can assure you I see the results of loss of instinct in trial arenas all the time. A trained dog with no instinct relies entirely on it's owner to think for it. Well, when you have cattle in a 50 acre pasture that you need gathered, you can't be right on top of the dog telling it go bye, lie down, way to me....you have to be able to send that dog out to do it's job and know that it will gather those cow/calf pairs or steers and bring them in and do it right, without getting hurt and without hurting the stock.

The problem with crossbreeding is that there is a mixing of genes, health problems from each breed and usually no attention paid to the quality of the animals being crossed nor the issues that may reside behind them genetically. This doesn't make for a better dog, it makes for a crap shoot. You may or may not come up with the dog who has the desired and preferred characteristics of both breeds and only if both parents carried those characteristics to begin with.

Golden Retrievers and Australian Shepherds carry a long, double coat. Poodles carry a hard to maintain hair coat and between the two, the result is one that can easily mat. You won't necessarily get the low-shedding characteristics of a Poodle nor the herding instinct of an Aussie. You may get the Progressive Retinal Atrophy gene of the Poodle and the Epilepsy found in both, though!

Seriously, anyone who advocates that the intentional crossbreeding of dogs produces a better result needs to do a little more research. There are certainly plenty of wonderful, even great mixes in the world, but they are great through a happy accident and could not produce those same characteristics again in another generation reliably. That is the difference in purebred dog programs (operated by knowledgable breeders) and those byb and designer dog breeders trying to rip the public off.

I absolutely agree with everything here except for one small factor.  I believe randomly choosing two dogs of breed X is more likely to produce a dog with health problems than randomly choosing a dog of breed X and a dog of breed Y

I'd rather buy a dog from a neighbor who had his dog knocked up by accident than from a neighbor who has an purebred which has never seen a showring or hunting trail who happened to notice someone else locally with the same type of purebred who decided to cross them just so they could have purebred puppies to sell.

For some breeders addressing specific problems of a breed, outcrossing to other breeds to fix the problem in a controlled manner makes a lot of sense...but it also requires multiple generation breeding to insure that trait is carried forward with reliability.  One time crosses don't do that.

There are a few breed crosses that take comlimentary dog breeds and get a workable result (labradoodles is one of these, as poodles were originally hunting dogs designed for going into cold water...and labs as we know are water loving retreivers as well)  However, this is the exception, not the norm.  

Just because Labradoodle turns out okay doen't mean Rottadoodle, Shepadoodel, Dalmadoodle, Dobadoodle, Grehoodle, Jack Rusoodle, etc etc are going to be good combinations.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]

So I guess the other three are off to their new happy homes?

Those two are so cute it should be illegal!    If you were local to me I just might HAVE to buy them,

and see how my Aussie takes to being a foster mother.

The similarity between those two pups and my Sarah is absolutely frightening.  If they didn't have

any white on them,  I might mistake them for pics of mine when she was a pup.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do they bark with an accent?
 [/quote]

Not if they are born in the USA.

But they will hang around the barbi while the steaks are cookin.

A lot of owners seem to like Australian flavored names, it is strange because it is actually an American breed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top