Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 4:01:16 PM EDT
anybody else have the honor to raise wolf dogs  ?

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Cute dogs, looks like a Northern Inuit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Northern breeds are awesome, but certainly not for everybody.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive had them since they were 4 weeks ,  brothers 5 years old last August  ...the grey one runs a lean 128 lbs and is real long the brown one is 115 and shorter, best dogs ever . 10% Siberian Husky/10% Norwegian Elkhond/80% timber wolf
I'm 6'3 and the grey one in the picture with my wife can put his paws on my shoulders and look slightly down on me when I am standing
Very family orientated, very protective over the children and females in the family , I'd die for them
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one and I miss her everyday
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ive had them since they were 4 weeks ,  brothers 5 years old last August  ...the grey one runs a lean 128 lbs and is real long the brown one is 115 and shorter, best dogs ever . 10% Siberian Husky/10% Norwegian Elkhond/80% timber wolf

I'm 6'3 and the grey one in the picture with my wife can put his paws on my shoulders and look slightly down on me when I am standing

Very family orientated, very protective over the children and females in the family , I'd die for them
View Quote
Okay, with all due respect,

There is NO WAY those things are 80% wolf.

Strong clear transition between white and colored fur = very strong dog blood

Relatively large ears, wide set, very pointed = very strong dog blood

Narrower skull, muzzle less triangular coming back, comes back more 'straight' = very strong dog blood (wider skull, more of a triangular muzzle shape coming back are all related to needing much more bite/jawcrush power)

Shorter less shaggy body hair, yet lacking the very short fur on legs = very strong dog blood

Ratio of height to length more similar to standard nordic breeds than wolf =  very strong dog blood

'dots' of white above eyes = very uncommon in wolf, very common in various nordic breeds = very strong dog blood.

Long tail = very strong dog blood

Shortish muzzle = indicating dog

Eye color = too dark by far = very strong dog blood

Tail carried high and/or out, only 1 picture but so that's harder to tell = indicating dog

Puppy picture is the real clincher.  Wolf pups don't develope coloration divisions until later.  All are almost uniformally dark brown, shade can be a bit lighter or darker as an indicator of adult coloration, although lighter will get lighter and darker will get darker. There will often be a bit lighter brown around the eyes, muzzle legs, etc.  As with many animals, camouflage of pups is important and adult colors don't tend to emerge until later.

It doesn't take much wolf blood at all to make a wolf-dog combo look extremely wolfish  (provided the dog part is one of the nordic breeds not talking wolf x golden retriever)

The truth is the vast majority of dogs sold as 'wolf dogs' have drastically less content than what they are advertised as having, if they have any at all.  I have little doubt you were told the dogs you have are 80% wolf.  I have no doubt that at most they are 20% wolf.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never met a well adjusted wolf-dog. I wouldn't risk it just for the cool factor. Why? When you can get a wolfy looking 100% dog dog?

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, don't tell your vet that it is a hybrid.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Narrower skull, muzzle less triangular coming back, comes back more 'straight' = very strong dog blood (wider skull, more of a triangular muzzle shape coming back are all related to needing much more bite/jawcrush power)

Shorter less shaggy body hair, yet lacking the very short fur on legs = very strong dog blood

Ratio of height to length more similar to standard nordic breeds than wolf =  very strong dog blood

'dots' of white above eyes = very uncommon in wolf, very common in various nordic breeds = very strong dog blood.

Tail carried high and/or out, only 1 picture but so that's harder to tell = indicating dog

Puppy picture is the real clincher.  Wolf pups don't develope coloration divisions until later.  All are almost uniformally dark brown, shade can be a bit lighter or darker as an indicator of adult coloration, although lighter will get lighter and darker will get darker. There will often be a bit lighter brown around the eyes, muzzle legs, etc.  As with many animals, camouflage of pups is important and adult colors don't tend to emerge until later.

It doesn't take much wolf blood at all to make a wolf-dog combo look extremely wolfish  (provided the dog part is one of the nordic breeds not talking wolf x golden retriever)

The truth is the vast majority of dogs sold as 'wolf dogs' have drastically less content than what they are advertised as having, if they have any at all.  I have little doubt you were told the dogs you have are 80% wolf.  I have no doubt that at most they are 20% wolf.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/da/82/b8/da82b87c49f4f5d6b2eb84719508c0eb.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/da/82/b8/da82b87c49f4f5d6b2eb84719508c0eb.jpg

Actually I agree.....that is what I was told  but I was always suspect as I grew up with a couple others as a kid and teen......they do have it in them for sure I just am suspect of it being so high.
Thanks for the info !

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful dogs for sure! That is great they are family oriented. All the wolf dogs Ive seen are always real skiddesh,like there still wild.
Im sure if you baby them they can be like that though.

We have a cairn terrier mix named Bruce, he thinks hes a wolf at times though! He works security full time at our house. If a leaf blows outside he wants to kill it, lol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yp!   I’ve had the honor to have WOLVES as family members and still do   The Wife and I got our first Wolf Hybrid two weeks after we got married in 1985.   That when our life changed.   It’s been Wolves and more Wolves and Wolf like dogs from Malamutes to Husky’s.   At one time we had over sixty head hear, and then along came Hurricane Katrina in 2005.   Something came through and nearly wiped me out.   What ever it was it was really sick with the mange and whatever.  

With in about six months after Katrina all my purees and a lot of my hybrids wear dead.      

At the present time I have seven mid and high presenters running through the house.

The pictures I’m putting up are of some of the puree’s I had. before Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  

Wolf

Big Dowdy 100% Pure

Mumbles and Allie   sisters and liter mates to Big Dowdy

Leo   100% Pure

Apache   100% Pure

Apache and Leo wear brothers from a litter from Big Dowdy and Sambo.

Sambo   100% Pure   1 year old

Sambo   100% Pure   3 years old

Wolf
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yp!   I’ve had the honor to have WOLVES as family members and still do   The Wife and I got our first Wolf Hybrid two weeks after we got married in 1985.   That when our life changed.   It’s been Wolves and more Wolves and Wolf like dogs from Malamutes to Husky’s.   At one time we had over sixty head hear, and then along came Hurricane Katrina in 2005.   Something came through and nearly wiped me out.   What ever it was it was really sick with the mange and whatever.  

With in about six months after Katrina all my purees and a lot of my hybrids wear dead.      

At the present time I have seven mid and high presenters running through the house.

The pictures I’m putting up are of some of the puree’s I had. before Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  

Wolf

Big Dowdy 100% Pure
Mumbles and Allie   sisters and liter mates to Big Dowdy
Leo   100% Pure
Apache   100% Pure
Apache and Leo wear brothers from a litter from Big Dowdy and Sambo.

Sambo   100% Pure   1 year old
Sambo   100% Pure   3 years old
Wolf
View Quote

Beautiful, do you have any pics of the ones you have now?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 50% for 15 years.

Second gen,
Both parents 50%.

One side husky, wolf
Other side white GSD, wolf

Smartest most loyal dog I have ever had.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I don’t have many pictures of the guys I have now.

This is Sissy with her three cubs.   She had five all together and all females.   Lost two in birth, three survived.   She is the first of all the Wolves I’ve show up with floppy ears, dog trait.

Denis

Sammy

Fuzzy But

Wolf
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Im seeing a lot of low/no content wolf dogs above. Many claimed at 100%. Laughable at best.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
tried earlier but couldnt figure out how to post an image without hosting it first..

My girl is an F2 75%...

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im seeing a lot of low/no content wolf dogs above. Many claimed at 100%. Laughable at best.
View Quote
I concur, I am skeptical of content reported for wolf1952's animals.  Note I don't suspect he is deceiving us, but that he might have been deceived.

P.S. something looks very wrong with the head structure of the canine in the doghouse.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]
thats because she is an F2 75%

btw, do the pics show up for you? i tried but for the life of me only see red links.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
thats because she is an F2 75%

btw, do the pics show up for you? i tried but for the life of me only see red links.
View Quote

They are showing for me. Beautiful critter, by the way. I have absolutely zero interest in ever owning a wolf hybrid, but they sure are purdy to look at.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
https://youtu.be/NLk43jbnjo8
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top