Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2011 7:02:48 PM EDT
I picked him up from a local GSD rescue yesterday. His previous owners were barley feeding him, hence why he looks so skinny he could stand to gains some weight, but he is also a very tall GSD. The lady who runs the rescue had three others GSD's at her house and Bandit was taller than all of them despite being the youngest.

He is 1.5 years old and is AKC registered pure bred.  So far he is proving himself in need of some good training, he pulls on a leash and jumps on people but he is showing that he both quick to learn and responsive.  

He has decided that my back yard is hsi patrol zone, last night the wife and I went out side and he did a couple circuits around the yard, and plopped himself down on the grass where he could see us, the patio door and the side yard gate at the same time.

He goes to the vet on Wednesday for a check up and maybe some shots, if the vet determines a need from his records which we have. I will post an update on Wed with what the vet says.

I think he likes my older daughter who is 5.5 and he really likes the 18 month old, who has already fallen on him while he was laying down with out a reaction from the dog.

Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice GSD and cute kid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Good lookin dog. German blood line? Couldn't really tell but it kinda looks it.

By the way, that pic of your daughter and dog nose to nose is cute as hell. I can't wait to get a dog for my boy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good lookin dog. German blood line? Couldn't really tell but it kinda looks it.

By the way, that pic of your daughter and dog nose to nose is cute as hell. I can't wait to get a dog for my boy.

Thanks, he is already starting to listen her and she is in love with him already.

I think he is a German Blood line all of his grand parents and great grand parents have very long names that look Germanish, like "duke(duchess) von something" I am at work now and don't have the paper work in front me showing his lineage for both his mom and dad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice GSD and cute kid.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
So Bandit wen to the vet for a wellness check today!

He got some vaccinations as from what we could  tell with the medical records that we had he was due for them.  He weighs 62.8 lbs currently the vet would like to see him up at 70-75 lbs otherwise no health concerns for now, waiting on blood work and stool test to come back.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
What a beautiful dog and family. What kind of piece of shit would not feed that guy? Very cool, good on ya!
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What a beautiful dog and family. What kind of piece of shit would not feed that guy? Very cool, good on ya!

Thank you,

the previous owners who gave him to the rescue were apparently foreclosed on and I am guessing decided to feed themselves rather than the dog!

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice dag! Looks like you have a new best friend who's going to be great with the kids.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice dag! Looks like you have a new best friend who's going to be great with the kids.

Thanks he likes my wife  better as she is home all day while I work.

So did you move the hell out of CA to VA or just change your state.  Don't look back if you did already moved it will just piss you off make you extremely happy.  I know it was an awesome thing I did?
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks he likes my wife  better as she is home all day while I work.

So did you move the hell out of CA to VA or just change your state.  Don't look back if you did already moved it will just piss you off make you extremely happy.  I know it was an awesome thing I did?

I'm in VA right now but I'm heading back to CA tomorrow... to pack up the moving truck
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
handsome pup!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful GSD... those rear legs are huge! He'll grow into those ears too. If you want to be his primary alpha you need to do lots of discipline training and dominance stuff with him now. He'll attach to you pretty quickly.

I love the protective and herding instincts they have. It's really cool to watch.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Handsome dog.  I envy you - gotta get me a GSD.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Great looking dog!  

Heres a site with some recipes on it that I used to try to fatten up my pup after surgery, gets kinda expensive though

http://www.heroswaggintrain.com/health/malnourished.htm
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#15]
We used a lot of pumpkin in a can to supplement kibble. Our GSD loved it. The smooth orange shits were a plus too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Good job, nice looking dog you have there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great looking dog!  

Heres a site with some recipes on it that I used to try to fatten up my pup after surgery, gets kinda expensive though

Thank you!

That link will be helpful I have it bookmarked now. I will probably go get everything this weekend, and yeah I can see how it could get kinda expensive.  However, I want a healthy happy dog, and am willing to do what is needed to see that he gets there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good job, nice looking dog you have there.

What he said!  . Nice pup
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great looking dog!

Thank you!

That link will be helpful I have it bookmarked now. I will probably go get everything this weekend, and yeah I can see how it could get kinda expensive. However, I want a healthy happy dog, and am willing to do what is needed to see that he gets there.

Odd that some of the recipies on that link to fatten up rescue dogs suggest adding garlic to them... for an animal with an already weakened immune system (or any other dog for that matter) why would you add something that's toxic to dogs?
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Great looking dog!

Thank you!

That link will be helpful I have it bookmarked now. I will probably go get everything this weekend, and yeah I can see how it could get kinda expensive. However, I want a healthy happy dog, and am willing to do what is needed to see that he gets there.

Odd that some of the recipies on that link to fatten up rescue dogs suggest adding garlic to them... for an animal with an already weakened immune system (or any other dog for that matter) why would you add something that's toxic to dogs?

Garlic isnt toxic to dogs.

That is just a result of a misunderstanding due to garlics similarities to onions.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Great looking pup!  Looks like an excellent addition to the family (for both parties).

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So far he is proving himself in need of some good training, he pulls on a leash and jumps on people but he is showing that he both quick to learn and responsive.  

That's a good start.  Find a good Schutzhund club and he will pull harder and not only jump on people, but also bite them.  

If you want to find more about his pedigree, go to pedigreedatabase.com and search for the kennel name (e.g. "von whatever").  Just because the kennel has a German sounding name, it doesn't mean that the dog is from German working lines.  

Glad you found a good match.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Congrats on the new family member!

Be sure to have him chipped when at the vets.  It shouldn't cost more than $15 or so.

We have a GSD rescue who has turned out to be the more protective of our 2 GSD's.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice dag and nice that you are giving him a good home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So far he is proving himself in need of some good training, he pulls on a leash and jumps on people but he is showing that he both quick to learn and responsive.  

That's a good start.  Find a good Schutzhund club and he will pull harder and not only jump on people, but also bite them.  

If you want to find more about his pedigree, go to pedigreedatabase.com and search for the kennel name (e.g. "von whatever").  Just because the kennel has a German sounding name, it doesn't mean that the dog is from German working lines.  

Glad you found a good match.

Excellent ideas on looking up his pedigree and also on the Schutzhund. Both need to be looked into.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Congratulations on that handsome find.  Be prepared for years of loyalty, companionship and love.  He will learn fast and protect your family well.  Treat him good.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Great looking GSD...looks like a great fit and he will only get better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#29]
How's he doing weight-wise?
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
he looks awesome - what great expressions on his face - nice catch
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How's he doing weight-wise?

was coming to post an update! Last week when he went to the vet for a follow up and one more vaccination he is already up to 71.8.

I don't see him looking right at the vet  recommended 75lbs.

I will post some more picks this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]
This girl was at the local Humane Society. I was wishing I could get her. Unfortunately not an option until I move elsewhere.

Someone did snatch her up though.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Very handsome boy.  Great job getting him from a rescue group.  There are so many dogs at shelters, there is really no reason to get one from a breeder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I like how in the pic with your kid he is sitting there completely relaxed with her. That dog has a good temperament around kids and I think you've found a winner.
He has a VERY pretty face and markings and the eyes look intelligent. What a score, OP.  Looks like everybody wins.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#36]
thank you all for the kind words about my dog. I have not had a chance to take some new photos yet of him but here is a short video from Friday while he was at doggie day care.
He is pretty easy to spot

Having a blast and getting along with every body.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Great looking dog! And good on you for going the rescue route!

Other than his coat length, looks almost exactly like my GSD rescue. Similar story too...

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks alot like my little trouble maker... and from the video you posted, thats pretty much exactly how my boy acts around other dogs too!

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top