Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2010 1:17:13 PM EDT
I have a 11 month old Boxer and need help with some activities to keep her low on the energy scale.

She is very active and i need tips on how to tire her out so she can be kept inside without all of the running and jumping.

I have talked with a guy who owns Bull Dogs about maybe working her out catching hogs but he insists tat the boxers wouldnt be able to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean Barbara the Boxer?  

Oh .... sorry ..... not much help
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You do understand that catch dogs used to hunt hogs are raised from pups to do this and most die or are severely injured in the process of their career? Their dogs aren't household pets going out for some exercise, they are bred, born and raised to hunt and kill or be killed by pigs.

I recommend enrolling your dog in obedience classes, look into biking your dog, swimming your dog, taking your dog on regular outings to dog parks (if fully vaccinated) and look into something like agility or flyball classes.

I was more interested in catching in a controlled environment. I'm not set on her catching. It was just a thought I had for her to use up some of her energy.

I miscalculated her age(I was drunk at the time I posted) she is in fact 9 months old.

Right now I do the Ole fetch routine with her, but it seems to get old to her fast.

I bought a harness for her to pull my little girls wagon around and she will pull it for about 3 to 5 mins and then sits down. I have to coax her into moving after that.

There is a young woman around here that teaches obedience to dogs and their owners.

Biking your dog? is that basically I ride the bike and she follows me?

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to Google and see if there are any of the agility or fly ball within 20 or 30 miles from me. I live in a very small town. the closest movie theatre is 40 miles away

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was more interested in catching in a controlled environment. I'm not set on her catching. It was just a thought I had for her to use up some of her energy.

yea, no such thing, can't really train ANY animal to not react aggressively when it is being attacked by another animal.  "Catching" is a dog running up and sinking his fangs into a hog to hold the hog for the rest of the pack or the hunter.

Quoted:

I bought a harness for her to pull my little girls wagon around and she will pull it for about 3 to 5 mins and then sits down. I have to coax her into moving after that.

There is a young woman around here that teaches obedience to dogs and their owners.

See, you TAKE the obedience class to learn how to make the dog pull the wagon for more than 5 minutes, thereby giving the dog a good workout.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Calm and tire out a 11 month old Boxer? Bwa hahahahahaha. Not going to happen.

What you are going to have to do is probably crate train her or give her her own room that is devoid of everything save for teh toys and such you place in it.

A big kennel or fenced in yard [with 6 foot fencing] would be better. Boxers are high energy dogs and you have to understand that.

So, have you broken her from jumping all over everyone yet?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you ever gone on a hog hunt or seen a hog dog?  They are not what I would call a family pet.
I'd listen to your friend and the folks on the board who have told you this animal is not fit to hunt hogs. To be honest and fair it's. Lot like cock fighting. People breed fighting roosters just like hog dogs. They live to fight and most of them die doing it.
Those are the best dogs. A little boxer would get ripped apart
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Our Max has a ton of energy which seems endless.  He is a chewer so we keep three Nylabone Big Chews in the house for him to chew on.  He also has an assortment of balls and some thing called a flappy(?)  One thing that I use when I am lazy is a laser pointer.  He'll chase that red dot for hours
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you ever gone on a hog hunt or seen a hog dog?  They are not what I would call a family pet.
I'd listen to your friend and the folks on the board who have told you this animal is not fit to hunt hogs. To be honest and fair it's. Lot like cock fighting. People breed fighting roosters just like hog dogs. They live to fight and most of them die doing it.

Actually boxers are bred for catching and holding according to all the info i have read.

Linky

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What you are going to have to do is probably crate train her or give her her own room that is devoid of everything save for teh toys and such you place in it.

A big kennel or fenced in yard [with 6 foot fencing] would be better. Boxers are high energy dogs and you have to understand that.

Yeah, she is crate trained. I have 11 acres but none of it is fenced. I'm looking into the wireless fence option, but right now I don't have the spare $300 to throw at it.

She still jumps up on some of my family. Its hard to train her not to when the first thing they do is slap their legs and talk doggy talk to her.
I've tried to tell them to make her sit and pet her before she has the opportunity to jump, but I think they like it

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]

My brother had Boxers.  Good luck getting yours to calm down.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea, no such thing, can't really train ANY animal to not react aggressively when it is being attacked by another animal.  "Catching" is a dog running up and sinking his fangs into a hog to hold the hog for the rest of the pack or the hunter.

Quoted:

See, you TAKE the obedience class to learn how to make the dog pull the wagon for more than 5 minutes, thereby giving the dog a good workout.

Yeah, there is a such thing as a controlled enviroment actually. I have seen it used for training catch dogs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My brother had Boxers.  Good luck getting yours to calm down.

She is getting better with age, but far from what I would call calm

I'm cool with some degree of spunk, but my dog will run around or living room full speed, jumping over the couch, ducking under the end tables and shredding the carpet with her nails. This isn't a full time thing, but if she doesn't get enough outside time, it will happen almost every time we loose her inside.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually boxers are bred for catching and holding according to all the info i have read.

Linky

yes, many many many generations ago.  You get 2 generations removed from working stock and you have no idea what you have anymore, it could still be good but it could be crap, no better than sending a border collie or a poodle out to catch a wild pig
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, there is a such thing as a controlled enviroment actually. I have seen it used for training catch dogs.

Link?  How do you train a bitten animal to not react aggressively?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?  How do you train a bitten animal to not react aggressively?

How does one link personal experiences with real live situations.....let me know and ill link it

It was a catch pen with domestic hogs.....hardly hunting, but was good to train pups with. PETA has since gotten involved and these are highly frowned upon now.

ETA:  A quick Google turned  up just what im talking about...go figure

Linky
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
How do you put experience on the web? Well, remember that old saying 'if you have a question, ask, probably 10 other people have the same question'

If you encounter someone doing something, chances are 10 other guys if not more are doing the same thing, and one of them has a web page.

otherwise, pictures and posting works great.

Yes, I do understand a guy who is TRAINING his catch-dogs may set up an artificial situation where he stacks the deck in his dog's favor (younger pigs, pigs with no tusks, etc) BUT that's a long way from having it as a method of exercise some guy can bring his boxer to and expect everything to go peachy.

BUT it does make me think of schutzhund, lots of american bulldog working lines that hog catch also are great for going after the overstuffed man.  After you have basic obedience down, that would be possible direction to go in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When my dogs were that age, we had to take them for a "walk" in an off-leash nature park for 3 hours (they would run the entire time), then come home and let them wrestle for another hour or two... EVERY NIGHT.  If we didn't, they wouldn't sleep through the night, and wouldn't let US sleep through the night.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
hehe you got the boxer..;p

I have a 9 month old male..  seems boxers are a bit more high speed that others. All you can do it  EXERCISE
Treatmill works fairly ok.. ours doesnt mind it..
As far as hog catching goes.. Most boxers have a huge underbite.. good way to rip out their lower teeth since they cant get a grood grip on the prey. Bad idea all around.  

I would be careful on what activity you enroll him in at this age. They are prone to LP and HD.. no need to put more undue stress on their joints and bones until they are grown.
Boxers are just  what they are.. boxers.. either you love em or hate them. Allthough I do love him and none of his shenanigans are his fault.. its our fault. There are no bad dogs born.. just bad owners ( not saying you are)

Teach her all kinds of tricks to keep her thinking and busy.. They are supersmart dogs and willing to learn.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
hehe you got the boxer..;p

I have a 9 month old male..  seems boxers are a bit more high speed that others. All you can do it  EXERCISE
Treatmill works fairly ok.. ours doesnt mind it..
As far as hog catching goes.. Most boxers have a huge underbite.. good way to rip out their lower teeth since they cant get a grood grip on the prey. Bad idea all around.  

I would be careful on what activity you enroll him in at this age. They are prone to LP and HD.. no need to put more undue stress on their joints and bones until they are grown.
Boxers are just  what they are.. boxers.. either you love em or hate them. Allthough I do love him and none of his shenanigans are his fault.. its our fault. There are no bad dogs born.. just bad owners ( not saying you are)

Teach her all kinds of tricks to keep her thinking and busy.. They are supersmart dogs and willing to learn.

Thanks for the tips.  

I have read that its very important to keep Boxers at a minimum weight untill they are atleast 1 year old. I have been feeding her just enough to keep her ribs nothing but a shadow, but no so much she gets fat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my dogs were that age, we had to take them for a "walk" in an off-leash nature park for 3 hours (they would run the entire time), then come home and let them wrestle for another hour or two... EVERY NIGHT.  If we didn't, they wouldn't sleep through the night, and wouldn't let US sleep through the night.  

We must be doing something right then She sleeps most of the night, but usually wakes us up early (4:00am'ish) rattling around her chew toy.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#21]
mental stimulation will tire them some as well and will help them to pass time. a walk is also a good way to get their energy burned of as the walk is a controlled excersie and requires physical constraint as well as a mental component. remember to that the dog in not physically mature yet and any heavy excercise should be avoided untill at least a year like the biking idea.

here is one idea for some mental stimulation and keep in mind that the dog in this video is a Malinois talk about energy.....................everlasting treat ball and this everlasting fireplug.

just some input from someone you don't know but may be of some value to you.

good luck

Blocker
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#22]
a short car ride is usually enough sense overload for my boxer,  all the new noises, sights, and smells  wears her out even if she dont get out of the car.   She definatly has a calmer demeanor for the next few hours..
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
mental stimulation will tire them some as well and will help them to pass time. a walk is also a good way to get their energy burned of as the walk is a controlled excersie and requires physical constraint as well as a mental component. remember to that the dog in not physically mature yet and any heavy excercise should be avoided untill at least a year like the biking idea.

here is one idea for some mental stimulation and keep in mind that the dog in this video is a Malinois talk about energy.....................everlasting treat ball and this everlasting fireplug.

just some input from someone you don't know but may be of some value to you.

good luck

Blocker

Thanks for the info. Can these chew toys be bought at the large pet stores or just on that website?

We had one of these and the dog took it outside...i will try and find it again and start using it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
a short car ride is usually enough sense overload for my boxer,  all the new noises, sights, and smells  wears her out even if she dont get out of the car.   She definatly has a calmer demeanor for the next few hours..

Ill try and notice what effect a ride has on her today

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do understand that catch dogs used to hunt hogs are raised from pups to do this and most die or are severely injured in the process of their career? Their dogs aren't household pets going out for some exercise, they are bred, born and raised to hunt and kill or be killed by pigs.

I recommend enrolling your dog in obedience classes, look into biking your dog, swimming your dog, taking your dog on regular outings to dog parks (if fully vaccinated) and look into something like agility or flyball classes.

I miscalculated her age(I was drunk at the time I posted) she is in fact 9 months old.

Right now I do the Ole fetch routine with her, but it seems to get old to her fast.

Biking your dog? is that basically I ride the bike and she follows me?

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to Google and see if there are any of the agility or fly ball within 20 or 30 miles from me. I live in a very small town. the closest movie theatre is 40 miles away

Don't bike your boxer until she KNOWS how to heel!  Boxers unfocused enough that she will probably run in front of your bike and injure you or her.

While you can train them for it, boxers don't like fetch.

Get a soccer ball and play soccer with her.  Boxers love to chase and catch (she would most likely love hog chasing, but it does sound dangerous, especially with one so young).

You won't be able to get her calm unless she has enough exercise and attention.  Boxers need more than most dogs to stay sane.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linky

They've been scaled down.  They used to be bigger animals.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, she is crate trained. I have 11 acres but none of it is fenced. I'm looking into the wireless fence option, but right now I don't have the spare $300 to throw at it.

She still jumps up on some of my family. Its hard to train her not to when the first thing they do is slap their legs and talk doggy talk to her.
I've tried to tell them to make her sit and pet her before she has the opportunity to jump, but I think they like it

I would let my dog loose there.  It seems to me that boxers are so attached to people that they won't just run away.  Mine also isn't intelligent enough to chase an animal for very long.  He loses it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would let my dog loose there.  It seems to me that boxers are so attached to people that they won't just run away.  Mine also isn't intelligent enough to chase an animal for very long.  He loses it.

We do let her out by herself during the day, but we always keep an eye out for her. At night it would be a bit risky with all of the coyote's we have around here.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do let her out by herself during the day, but we always keep an eye out for her. At night it would be a bit risky with all of the coyote's we have around here.

Yeah... she'll want to play with them and get an unpleasant surprise.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top