Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2020 10:43:25 AM EDT
Debated on putting this in the nerd forum or here and figured folks might have more experience here. Here's the scenario: as many businesses are doing, my wife is having to go virtual with her fitness training. She does all of her classes outdoors (e.g. parks, parking lots, etc.) so last year I built her a portable sound system. She has a battery-powered PA and I put together a 2U rack in a shoulder bag with a battery/charging system and a wireless headset mic. This works great for outdoors but I'm struggling online.

Last night we did a Zoom meeting in the house (btw, it's online video conferencing like GoToMeeting, Skype, etc if you're not familiar). I'm running the mic and her iPod into a 2-channel Behringer Xenyx USB mixer. I only have low and high EQ options. Her voice sounds almost metallic and she easily overdrives the signal and creates a buzz.

Would I be better off with a newer mixer like the Xenyx 802 which has onboard compression and a 3-band EQ? Has anyone successfully used Audacity for live streaming? It looks like it's possible and then I would assume I'd be able to use any available plug-ins.

My concern is that this has to be simple. That's why I like the idea of the mixer. But now that I think about it, the 802 also has fx out and I have an old Alesis 3630 compressor. I'd need to bump her up to a 3U bag but I'm ok with that if it works (especially if it improves the audio through the PA as well).

Any "simple" ideas appreciated. She's not the least bit technical so the more one-button this is the better. I'll seriously be doing good if I can get her to remember to plug a USB mixer in.

ETA: I realized Audacity might not work since Zoom has to see an audio source. I use a Mac, and there's a great program that lets you create virtual devices from other devices, apps, etc. So I found an extremely old (2015) Windows app to create virtual cables. I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can get live fx working and routed to Zoom as a virtual device. Still open for any other ideas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Whoa, back up there, pardner

You sure you're not just clipping the preamp in the Behringer mixer?

Plug a pair of headphones into it (the mixer) and see how it sounds when she speaks. Then we'll go from there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I brought the gain down on the mic input and tried boosting the volume but she still seemed to overdrive pretty easily. I did monitor with headphones which sounds ok (I don't remember hearing any major clipping) but the audio through Zoom seemed off. It wasn't as clear as I'd expect.

Ha. I give up. I'll go with the mixer I have. I figured I'd try the 8-ch for grins. Available for store pickup and I waited two fucking hours only to have to call to find out that they only had an out-of-box model in questionable shape. So I make a 40-mi roundtrip to the other store, get home, and realize it requires AC (strike one for my fault). I plugged everything in and even with the mic output volume and gain to almost nothing, any hint of excitement (which is common for fitness classes) sounds like you're being chased by bees even though neither the channel or main clipping lights are coming one.

I'm fed up, pissed off, and over it. My entire Sunday's been shot to hell and I'm no better off than I was when I stopped at 2am. Fuck me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm doing music lessons over Zoom.
Desktop or laptop is reportedly giving better sound results than tablet or phone. In case you have one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
She used the iPad the first time.

Here's my setup:

- wireless headset into mic input of mixer
- ipod into line in (channel 2)
- usb mixer is selected in zoom as the mic input

It's really very straightforward. Just can't seem to get her voice to sound right. And it was absolute garbage on the other (new) mixer. Which I now have two of (or will shortly) that I'll have to return.

Are you using the built-in A/V or external? I'd let her use my Logitech but I use it for work and they're sold out everywhere.

ETA: Oh hell. I'm done. Finished. Now she sounds good. But as soon as I plug the output of the mixer into the input of the PA the fucking audio stops in Zoom. WT bloody F? So I can get audio for Zoom or audio for the live group. For whatever reason, I can't get audio to both. No fucking clue.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This and a phone. I don't have one yet, but have been eyeing one because it would be handy for me too. It does have some mixed reviews. On in particular mentioned it only being compatible with certain phones.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GOMIXERPRO--roland-gomixer-pro-audio-mixer-for-smartphones
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, I actually forgot about the GoMixer, but I did think about trying my Scarlett. I'm a little off the hook now. They're stopping live classes so now I can focus on getting the Zoom audio solid. Today's class went ok but she couldn't hear the online students w/o getting up to the laptop. I might try external speakers to give her better audio that way.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a great FB group called Zoom for Musicians - we exchange tips and tricks for getting the best audio quality for lesson and performances.  

Http://www.facebook.com/groups/zoomformusicians

I work for Zoom and play trumpet professionally.   I moderate the FB group and I have a few of the product/engineering guys in there helping out and taking notes for future product enhancement.  

Feel free to DM me if you’d like some help dialing it in.  

Here are the biggest tips:

1) Turn off auto mic gain
2) in advance audio settings:
-turn ON enable original sound
-Set both background noise suppression options to Disabled. ‘

Doing this will turn off our algorithms that try to suppress anything that doesn’t sound like a normal human speaking.  

I’ve already helped dial in a few performances for a some friends (Hall of fame / multiple Grammy winners) over Zoom this week alone - including two very very very well know country stars. So, it’s totally possible and I’m totally up for helping my musicians brothers here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome! I appreciate the offer. Let me take a look at what you suggested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top