Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2018 9:23:15 PM EDT
What are you using?

I have been using Ultex 1.40 sharps for electric and acoustic. I also tried Clayton NuTone picks that are supposed to mimic real turtle shell. And I had an old antique bracelet that was in a pile of junk from a box of antiques the wife had from her aunts antique store bits r al real and I made it into picks. Of them all the real deal sounds way better than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I started liking fender thin cellolous ? Tortious shell looking ones.
Then switched to dunlop nylon.
They have a texture to them that gives me better grip.  Doesn't feel like im slipping.
I use the .48 and .60 sizes.  Realitive to a thin and medium. They make one even thinner. I think its a .37 but its super super soft. I dont use them much.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My picks vary depending on what I'm doing.  When I'm doing some chugging I'll use a 2mm gator grip.  Everything else is a prime tone .88mm or gator grip  .71mm
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz IIIs. They're slightly bigger than the standard Jazz III, and are made out of Ultex instead if nylon. I really like 'em.

I also picked up a 3 pack of Primetone triangle picks. I'm not fond of triangle picks, but it was all my LGS had for Primetone and I have been wanting to try some. I'm still on the fence.

And before all this, I used Jazz IIIs for awhile, and before that, I used the blue Tortex picks. I don't use either of those anymore.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an incredibly hard time holding onto picks if I do any kind of strumming.  It's the single hardest thing I deal with because it comes up even on easy songs.  So I've been using Dunlop Max-Grip Nylon picks for a while now.  Everything else slips, turns, and falls.  I've been using .88, but I'm looking to get something thicker soon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never really found a pick that I just love.  I have a big bowl on my desk filled with a couple hundred different ones.   I like the tone of Jazz III's but I need to find a bigger version of the red.  I don't really like the small ones.

Lately, I have been using Dunlop Flow picks and Gravity Picks the most.   Thickness depends on what I'm playing, but I will use anything from a .73mm to 2.5mm.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an incredibly hard time holding onto picks if I do any kind of strumming.  It's the single hardest thing I deal with because it comes up even on easy songs.  So I've been using Dunlop Max-Grip Nylon picks for a while now.  Everything else slips, turns, and falls.  I've been using .88, but I'm looking to get something thicker soon.
View Quote
I had the same problem, which reminds me, I did use Jazz III Max Grips before I switched to the Petruccis. You might want to try some Dunlop Primetone. They have grippy stuff at the middle. And the Petrucci Jazz IIIs that I like have a sort of matte finish that is easy to grip.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have never really found a pick that I just love.  I have a big bowl on my desk filled with a couple hundred different ones.   I like the tone of Jazz III's but I need to find a bigger version of the red.  I don't really like the small ones.

Lately, I have been using Dunlop Flow picks and Gravity Picks the most.   Thickness depends on what I'm playing, but I will use anything from a .73mm to 2.5mm.
View Quote
Petrucci Jazz IIIs. They're made from Ultex, so they sound different than the regular Jazz IIIs, regardless of color, but they're slightly bigger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Jazz 3
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried a few of the different sharp variants, and ended up with the Ultex Sharp as my preferred picks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Amazon Product
  • Gauge: 1.0MM
  • Maximum memory
  • Minimum wear

These are what my son plays. I like the Yellow ones.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Jazz III for electric
Dunlop PrimeTone acoustic
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to use Tortex green (0.88), then went with Gator Grip purple (0.96) for a long time.

That was until discovering Ultex Sharp 1.14. I often score/checker the slippery Ultex with a box knife or just pony up the extra $ for Black Fangs (feels like the same pick with a grippy coating).
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I always put small pieces of non-skid tape on my picks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I am sure it's the placiebo, but I really like these:

Otherwise, it's the Dunlop Delrin, 1.14mm. Yes, I know they're pink; no, I don't give a shit.

Edited to remove bad link ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
For electric blues I like my Blue Chip TD45 (I keep some heavy dunlop primetones in the gig bag in case I ever lose it). Had it several years, only left it at a gig once (drove back the next day to get it). It is slick and quick on the strings, yet sticks to my fingers, even sweaty.

On the flat top, for bluegrass and fiddle tunes, I prefer a heavy triangle pick. I have 2 real tortoise shell and a Charmed Life "brown" that I will use going forward since TS is endangered. The TS really bring out the tone and crispness needed for flat picking.

Honestly, in a pinch, a Fender heavy or Dunlop 1.0 work fine, they are just a little slower.

I have never been able to get speed and accuracy with a thin or medium pick on anything. They do not snap back fast enough, which actually slows you down. They just sound sloppy. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Friend of mine that also plays made a couple rolls of the quarter pics at an engineering lab at UT 30 years ago and I was lucky enough to get one...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been using Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz IIIs. They're slightly bigger than the standard Jazz III, and are made out of Ultex instead if nylon. I really like 'em.

I also picked up a 3 pack of Primetone triangle picks. I'm not fond of triangle picks, but it was all my LGS had for Primetone and I have been wanting to try some. I'm still on the fence.

And before all this, I used Jazz IIIs for awhile, and before that, I used the blue Tortex picks. I don't use either of those anymore.
View Quote
Send me your snail mail address, and I'll send you a regular primetone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Send me your snail mail address, and I'll send you a regular primetone.
View Quote
Thanks. But I figure I'll just order some from stringsandbeyond.com next time I order.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am sure it's the placiebo, but I really like these:

Otherwise, it's the Dunlop Delrin, 1.14mm. Yes, I know they're pink; no, I don't give a shit.

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f-webp__q-82__ha-dbb959df7ec80828__hmac-10a91fdfec666d29738ebb9ef0bf00378350cec3/images/items/750/41P114-large.jpg.auto.webp
View Quote
Please delete the Hetfield pic, jameshetfieldguitar.com is full of aids.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I only use Dunlop Tortex. Not in a "oh look at me I'm super special" way, I just like them.

I'll go back and forth on the orange .60mm or red .50mm ones, with the .60mm getting the most use. I'll use the same on bass as well.

TBH - I suck real bad and only punk rock stuff, but these work great for me.

I always found Fender picks too slick.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Dunlop nylon .88's
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I take a pocket knife tip and cut grooves in a crosshatch pattern on new picks.  Really helps to hold on to them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Dunlop Tortex. I go back and forth between the orange and yellow, and I'm still not sure which one I like best.

I also like the medium celluloid Fender picks, but they tend to be a little bit slippery.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Depending on the day I might grab Jazz III, Dunlop Tortex yellow, Dunlop Primetone, Ernie Ball thumb picks or one of the Clayton horn exotic picks I sanded down to a thinner profile.  Jazz III's probably get used the most.

I have several actual tortoise shell picks I found at an antique mall in SC a few years ago.  Bought em on a whim as they weren't too stupidly expensive and were in a sewing thing marked as 'button blanks', guessing the dealer wasn't a guitar player.  They sound amazing and feel great... but they wear pretty quickly.  I keep trying different picks hoping to find one that has the feel and tone of the shell picks, but I haven't found one yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, I'm not a guitarist, but my late Dad played steel from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  A little trick he
had for keeping finger picks on, before you put them on, lick your fingers.  He learned that from Herb Remington.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#27]
D'addarrio Duralin thin. I've been using these picks since I was 14. Also, I hold them backwards and pick with the rounded top "corners."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Gator grip .71, dropped one for the first time in a long time last gig we played. I sometimes use a .53, depends on the song I'm playing among other things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I like a thick and pointy pick. I have a bunch of real tortoise picks that are pretty heavy and they really sound great on an acoustic.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Fender Medium or Light for acoustic
Fender Medium or Heavy for electric

I’m pretty boring haha
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Dunlop Nylon .73
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I just started playing in February, but I like these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#34]
The green Dunlop Tortex .88's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I gotta chide in for the Fender Mediums.
Used them forever with success..
Have tried others but keep coming back..
I'm an acoustic player so that's part of it.
I also fingerpick.. and the transition has to be quick.
Pick in mouth and play... or..
Spit pick in right direction and play
Can't stand the feel of the nylons.
For my style they just don't cut it.
Whatever works for you is fine with me.
Keep on Playing!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for JP Jazz IIIs
Top Top