Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2011 8:21:20 AM EDT
I'm just trying to get some ideas of where to put a few things in my chain to improve the sound I'm getting out of my pedal board.
As of now, this is my path (edit - rewired, this is what it is now...)
Guitar -> Boss CH-2 Tuner -> Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer -> Dunlop Wylde Wah -> MXR EVH-90 Phaser ->   Boss CH-1 Super Chorus -> MXR Wylde Overdrive -> Boss DD-3 Digital Delay -> MXR Smart Gate

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I found this link, maybe it can help you.
http://guitarpedalboard.tumblr.com/post/34810459/order-order

If I was you, I would switch the middle pedals around to see what compliments your instrument/music style the best.  Your tuner and delay pedal are definitely in the right place.  I would personally try the Wah pedal directly after the sustainer first and see how you like that tone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
OD's should go after all modulation effects. Whether it goes after wah or not depends on whether or not you want quack or not.

That ZW OD is awesome for blues. Love it.

ETA: My path is very dynamic but it goes like this:

Guitar>GT8>Dan Electro Fish and Chips EQ>BBE Sonic Stomp>Amp

The reason it's dynamic is that the 8 allows me to put things inside of it in any order I want. Generally I put the OD on my 8, typically used as a TS Clean boost, ahead of everything else, add all my modulation effects, add in my ZW stomp via the loop, then go to the preamp.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Guitar ––> Compressor ––> Wah ––> Tube Scream ––> Clean Boost ––> Loop Pedal (Occasionally) ––>tube amp

I figure the explanation is pretty straightforward. I've taken a minimalist approach, looking to get good, simple tone that has more of a smooth vintage vibe to it. The comp starts it out to do its thing before the signal hits any other pedals, I've always just liked having a smoother, fuller signal going into the other pedals. The wah is next, and before the TS as I wasn't a fan of how the overdriven signal sounded when run through the wah. Clean boost is last just to push the tubes into slight (or complete) overdrive without having an impact on the tone as it runs through the other pedals. I might add that all pedals have been built by yours truly, excluding the looper (Digitech Solo - best looper for the price btw)
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is really simple in front of the amp & I have a processor in the loop.

Cry Baby > Wylde Overdrive > Amp

Ideally you would have your wet effects in the loop (provided your amp has one) & the other stuff like the compressor, Wylde & wah would go in front.

I would have your pedals wet up like this:

Compressor > Wah > Wylde OD > Amp (loop: Phaser > Chorus > Delay).

And I also love the Wylde OD for bluesy stuff. I use it with the gain backed off most of the way, so it distorts very little. But damn, does that thing ever bring out the harmonics & the ringing blues tone when I want it. And my amp can get decent bluesy tones as it is, but the Wylde OD just.....wow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Where do you guys put your tone knob on the Wylde OD typically?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Guitar -> GNX4 modeler -> amp

I have a TS9 and an MXR90. Sometimes I use the TS9 for a little boost but for the most part I use the GNX4. Programming it through the panel can be a little tedious but the software is really easy to use. I know a lot of people don't like all-in-one processors but I really like mine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I set the tone knob at about 1 o'clock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
guitar > korg pitch black tuner > Morley Tremonti Wah > Modded SD-1 > Modded DS-1 > ISP Decimator > amp. I also have a GT-8 that I run in the loop occassionally.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried the wiring y'all suggested (updated in op). I'm liking the tone of this new path.
Quoted:

Quoted:

I set the tone knob at about 1 o'clock.

Mine is at about 10-11 o'clock (I get a good boost in highs from my comp/sustain).

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]
That's quite the plate of electrical spaghetti you have there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never found effects that give me "my" tone so I just run:

Guitar>Morley Little Alligator volume pedal> 5 watt JCM800  (5 watts so I can crank it w/o going deaf.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Guitar>Morley Little Alligator volume pedal> 5 watt JCM800  (5 watts so I can crank it w/o going deaf.)

Are you using an attenuator, or did you mod your 800 to run 5 watts?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's quite the plate of electrical spaghetti you have there.

LOL!

She does what I want her to do. The ATA case was apparently originally for a mixer (bought used at Guitar Center for less than $100) that just happened to work great as a pedalboard case. I cut a piece of plywood to size, drilled holes to patch cables through it to save space, and covered it with heavy duty velcro from Lowes. Works great!

ETA: Some friends comment on the neon pink duct tape on the pedals. All I have to say is this, it gets pretty dark on stage when they kill/bring down the lights and this silly pink tape lets me actually see my board. I could have used Neon green, but they didn't have any at the store when I needed it

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I built it:

It is essentially a JCM800 preamp into a single ended power amp using one EL84 tube.

The finished product.  I built two, one for me and one for a friend.  Here they are stacked before the final faceplate was installed:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I built it:

It is essentially a JCM800 preamp into a single ended power amp using one EL84 tube.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/guitars/116_1640.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/guitars/116_1639.jpg

The finished product.  I built two, one for me and one for a friend.  Here they are stacked before the final faceplate was installed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/guitars/ampstack.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's one of the plans they have over on ax84.com isn't it?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I built it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/guitars/116_1640.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/guitars/116_1639.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/guitars/ampstack.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's one of the plans they have over on ax84.com isn't it?

Yep exactly...  It's the High Octane project.  Worth every penny and minute it took to build it.  I've got a 40 watt amp that's maybe seen 1 hour of use in the 4 or 5 years since I've built it.  With 40 watts I just can't work the tubes hard enough in my house where I do 99.999% of my playing.

The only downside is it got me hooked on building amps.  I'm now working on my 5th this winter, the AX84.Com 4-4-0, a Trainwreck based amp using a preamp tube in the power amp for 2 push pull watts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
About how much did it cost to make that amp?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
About how much did it cost to make that amp?

About $300 and close to 100 hours each.  But...  I started w/ a sack full of electronic components, cabinet hardware, a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and a roll of Tolex.  I've reduced that time to about 50 hours for my most recent builds but I skip the Tolex and I don't build speaker boxes very much anymore.  Typically, speaker cabinets are less expensive to buy used on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice build there Green Canoe, Im building a firefly right now and am thinking about a Hi Octane for my next.

Back on Topic, It depends on what Im taking to the gig.

My layout is either:
Guitar >Morley ABY channel A>Korg Floor Tuner>Dano Echo> TS9>Bad Horsie> TSL100/1960BV or DSL401 (Ive got the B channel of the ABY going out to a Rocktron Talk Box) I put one of those cheap ass Dano chorus's in the loop of the TSL but dont bother if Im using the DSL as its loop sucks.

or

Guitar >Morley ABY channel A>Korg Floor Tuner>Dano Echo> TS9>Bad Horsie> BYOC Shredder> Orange Tiny Terror on a 2x12 w/v30s or my 1960BV. The amp is set for a AC/DC type overdrive and I punch in the OD or distortion for boosts and heavier stuff, roll off the guitar volumes for cleaner stuff. (Ive got the B channel of the ABY going out to a Rocktron Talk Box).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top