Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 11:36:14 PM EDT
KingAir story.............. My Dad and I were flying back from a fishing trip in OR and stopped to top off the tanks in Reno and pick up a family friend. Anybody that has flown out of Reno knows how brutal that wind can be. Anyway, the tower gives us a NO GO and we are suppose to wait. My Dad says "fuck it" and turns gunning the twin and off we go.... WE BARELY MADE IT OVER THE MOUNTAINS. When I say barely I mean I could make out running deer. I am not a pilot and I am in the right seat pulling back hard with my Dad....lol............. The story he tells is that was his last flight. He had hired a pilot and was giving up his license. I always wondered if the FAA made his crazy ass or he had it planned. Either way I will never forget almost eating the mountains that day. That KingAir was the most fun I have ever had flying in.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
He flew off against the tower's advice?

Yeah...maybe flying isn't the best hobby for him.  

If the tower told me to tie down the plane, install the column lock,

and forget about flying out of there for the next two weeks,  I'd be

back in fifteen days and check back with them for advisories.

I've never known the control tower to be staffed with dummies.  

Their advice is USUALLY very good and should be treated as an order

that you intend to obey.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Does sound like a good time to quit flying with a story like that...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
No offense, but I'm glad your dad doesn't fly anymore.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
KingAir story.............. My Dad and I were flying back from a fishing trip in OR and stopped to top off the tanks in Reno and pick up a family friend. Anybody that has flown out of Reno knows how brutal that wind can be. Anyway, the tower gives us a NO GO and we are suppose to wait. My Dad says "fuck it" and turns gunning the twin and off we go.... WE BARELY MADE IT OVER THE MOUNTAINS. When I say barely I mean I could make out running deer.I am not a pilot and I am in the right seat pulling back hard with my Dad....lol............. The story he tells is that was his last flight. He had hired a pilot and was giving up his license. I always wondered if the FAA made his crazy ass or he had it planned. Either way I will never forget almost eating the mountains that day. That KingAir was the most fun I have ever had flying in.

Chris

Yeah, because the harder you pull back, the faster you climb.  

Fail.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Yoke back, houses get smaller.
Yoke forward, houses get bigger.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yoke back, houses get smaller at first, then quickly get bigger .

Fixed it for ya .
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yoke back, houses get smaller.

To a certain extent.......yoke waay back houses get smaller then bigger
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He flew off against the tower's advice?

Yeah...maybe flying isn't the best hobby for him.  

If the tower told me to tie down the plane, install the column lock,
and forget about flying out of there for the next two weeks,  I'd be
back in fifteen days and check back with them for advisories.

I've never known the control tower to be staffed with dummies.  
Their advice is USUALLY very good and should be treated as an order
that you intend to obey.

CJ

CJ when the tower tells you to hold, its not advice!! Its an order! OP's dad sounds like someone I dont want flying anywhere near me! Im glad he quit flying. This is the type of person you read about in the NTSB reports. And arent you the guy who said he punched his mother in the face. The whole family sounds like a class act!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh.........wow?!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
dude the mom thing was a joke....jesus dude....that irish bitch would have kicked my ass..... you people need to lighten up. yes it was a order I am pretty sure. There was a hell of a line behind us not moving. As for my Dad, yeah he was a dangerous pilot. I will give you that. In one of his first planes a tiny ass Mooney we slammed into a runway so fast we almost went nose over...... your opinions of the FAA and NTSB is a tad elevated...... When I was a kid my Dads friends would buzz our houseboat on a lake. they never got in trouble. Money talks fellas. You fuckers in the aviation forum have to know that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Testimony to the performance, guts and quality of said aircraft. I fly a King Air and I would agree that it is best if this individual sits in the back and shuts the fuck up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

dude the mom thing was a joke....jesus dude....that irish bitch would have kicked my ass..... you people need to lighten up. yes it was a order I am pretty sure. There was a hell of a line behind us not moving. As for my Dad, yeah he was a dangerous pilot. I will give you that. In one of his first planes a tiny ass Mooney we slammed into a runway so fast we almost went nose over...... your opinions of the FAA and NTSB is a tad elevated...... When I was a kid my Dads friends would buzz our houseboat on a lake. they never got in trouble. Money talks fellas. You fuckers in the aviation forum have to know that.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well I'll give you bonus points for getting a silver membership right off the bat joining the forums, but it sounds like your family has a knack for breaking laws put in place to keep you and others alive. Our opinions of the FAA and NTSB are that they are there to make the skies a safe place for people to live and work, and you and your father are putting lots of people at risk by doing stupid stunts and blowing it off as nothing. May God help you when one day you decide not to follow an instruction given to you and you end up in contact with a passenger plane or a large building.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the whole thing is B.S.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It sounds like your dad wasnt just a dangerous pilot, it sounds like he just flat out wasnt a good pilot, in fact it sounds like he had more money that brains.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yoke back, houses get smaller at first, then quickly get bigger .

Fixed it for ya .

Thanks!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top