Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2020 6:21:47 PM EDT
https://mooneyspace.com/topic/36266-where-do-they-sell-all-those-stolen-garmins/

Middle of the night thieves hit the Morristown, Tn airport and took every Garmin in the tie down area.  I was lucky in that I only lost one 430.  Smokey mountain Aero lost 430's, 530's and sw panels.  Baron lost a 530 AND 430.  all in all upwards of $75,000 lost.  All have serial numbers.  Probably little Chance of recover.   Locking the door is a waste of time because most doors use the Bendix drawer keys and a small handful of keys will open 95% of the gen avia fleet.  I suspect they will be hitting more airports doing same thing in the near future
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The best scam was done with radios.  They would break into one plane and steal the radios.  They would break into a second airplane and replace the radios with the stolen ones, pulling the identical radios out of the second aircraft.  The SNs on the first airplane would be reported, but they would never be found because they were put in the second airplane. That second owner would may not even know his airplane was touched, since all of the radios of a given brand look pretty much the same.  The radios from the second airplane would be sold, and since the radios were never reported stolen, the theives could sell them without anyone knowing.  

The same is true of 530s and 430s.  You could replace my 530 and I may not even notice.

I can't understand why the price on eBay of 430s, especially non-WAAS, is so high.  And that's why the thefts are happening.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You can’t get non-WAAS 430s and 530s serviced anymore so you’re stuck replacing them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best scam was done with radios.  They would break into one plane and steal the radios.  They would break into a second airplane and replace the radios with the stolen ones, pulling the identical radios out of the second aircraft.  The SNs on the first airplane would be reported, but they would never be found because they were put in the second airplane. That second owner would may not even know his airplane was touched, since all of the radios of a given brand look pretty much the same.  The radios from the second airplane would be sold, and since the radios were never reported stolen, the theives could sell them without anyone knowing.  

The same is true of 530s and 430s.  You could replace my 530 and I may not even notice.

I can't understand why the price on eBay of 430s, especially non-WAAS, is so high.  And that's why the thefts are happening.
View Quote

I was thinking the same.......but with all the user settings, saved way points and freqs, and updates,  thats going to be noticed easier than a non customized radio.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't be surprised if they're being put into smuggling aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Man I hate thieves. I used to fly in and out of Morristown quite a bit.

And our Baron get tied down in Greeneville (about 30 miles away) when we’re at the in-laws.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, I believe it's entirely possible to duplicate data cards for those easily whereas the newer units have updates tied to the installation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they're being put into smuggling aircraft.
View Quote

I doubt it.

Most drug planes are semi-disposable, and I imagine if you’re not concerned with legality, there’s nothing you can do with a panel mount Garmin that you can’t do just as easily with an iPad and Bluetooth GPS.  Frankly, I wouldn’t think they’d bother to put the effort into installing a panel mount 430/530.  You need the rack and wiring harness to install them, so it’s not like you can just steal the unit and stick it into your airplane.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve always said the same. 430’s in general are about 2 x what they should be.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
We were hit at my airport here in NC about 3 weeks ago.
The aircraft broken into were in open shed hangars and strangely enough all Pipers. Popped the door locks with a screwdriver or something.

They got 2 KX155s out of one, a 430 out of an Arrow, a Garmin audio panel and a nav-com out of another, and some Bose headsets.
The Narco and Collins stuff was left untouched.
Another strange thing was there were two Cessnas with nice equipment they didn’t touch.

In the month or so prior to us, three other airports got hit here in NC.

My understanding on Garmin products is once Garmin is notified that unit can’t accept updates any longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top