Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2020 9:39:16 PM EDT
I’m going to contact aopa for help/advise but wonder if I can go light sport with a pacemaker/defibulator?
I’m looking at buying a 150B but won’t if the FAA says I can’t fly it legally (presuming I pass)
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
AOPA: pacemaker
A two-month recovery and stabilizing period is required after the pacemaker is inserted before you can apply for a special issuance. A complete cardiovascular evaluation will need to be done after the 60-day recovery and stabilization period is over.

The packet must include:

Copies of hospital/medical records pertaining to the clinical indications for the pacemaker, including:
make and model of the generator and leads;
serial numbers of generator and leads;
admission history and physical
operative report;
discharge summary.
An evaluation of pacemaker function including:
Description and documentation of underlying rate and rhythm with the pacemaker turned "off" or at the lowest setting (pacemaker dependency);
Programmed pacemaker parameters;
Surveillance records;
Exclusion of myopotential inhibition and pacemaker-induced hypotension (pacemaker syndrome);
Power pack data including beginning of life (BOL) and elective replacement indicator/end of life (ERI/EOL).
Legible samples of all electronic pacemaker surveillance records since the pacemaker insertion. The record must include a sample strip with pacemaker in free running mode.
A current cardiovascular evaluation performed by your cardiologist or internist. This evaluation must be performed after the recovery period and include:
An assessment of personal and family medical history;
A clinical cardiac and general physical examination;
Medications usage and side effects, if any;
Functional capacity.
A report of fasting blood sugar and current blood lipid profile including total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides.
A current 24-hour ambulatory Holter monitor including representative tracings.
A report of M-Mode, 2-dimensional, and Doppler echocardiogram, including film video or any other images resulting from the study.
Maximal exercise treadmill stress test demonstrating functional capacity equivalent to completion of Stage III (9 minutes) of the 12-lead Bruce protocol. If beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, or digitalis-type medications are being taken to inhibit heart rate response, it may be necessary to discontinue the drugs for 48 hours before testing in order to attain adequate heart rate. Consult with your physician before discontinuing medication. Submit report(s) and all original tracings. Applications for first and second-class certification will be presented to the FAA Cardiology Review Panel. Pacemaker dependency is determined by an unpaced resting heart rate of less than 40 beats per minute. Dependency is disqualifying for first and second-class medical certificates, but third class applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Important Note: Many pacemaker recipients are now receiving combination pacemaker/internal cardiac defibrillators on the advice or recommendation of their treating physicians. The FAA does not currently allow the use of automatic implanted cardioverter defibrillators (AICDs) for any class of medical certificate.

How/Where to Submit to the FAA

Helps you find the contact information for submitting your medical records.

Updated April 2016
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
I’ve had check ups about every month, have a bed side device that electronically reports every day: zero events since its implantation, and it records every beat, can probably even tell when I have an erection.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
If it’s a defibrillator and it goes off, you’ll know it without your interrogation device telling you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it’s a defibrillator and it goes off, you’ll know it without your interrogation device telling you.
View Quote

Yes, but what I was referring to is the downloaded history the Doctors Office collects with each visit: there's a record of any and every event (or lack of) and can be printed out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You are going to be stuck with LSA for now.   Unless you had a medical in the last 10 years and can go Basic Med.

Read the Important Note in the article listed above.  The  pacemaker is OK the defibrillator is disqualifying for any class medical.  Basic Med should not be an issue.

Important Note: Many pacemaker recipients are now receiving combination pacemaker/internal cardiac defibrillators on the advice or recommendation of their treating physicians. The FAA does not currently allow the use of automatic implanted cardioverter defibrillators (AICDs) for any class of medical certificate.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are going to be stuck with LSA for now.   Unless you had a medical in the last 10 years and can go Basic Med.

Read the Important Note in the article listed above.  The  pacemaker is OK the defibrillator is disqualifying for any class medical.  Basic Med should not be an issue.

View Quote

I had a Medical in May of 2017 and LSA is just fine for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top