User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The most incompetent pilots in my experience have no clue as to their inability.
View Quote
Now that you mention it, I can think of two who fit that bill.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most incompetent pilots in my experience have no clue as to their inability.
I have only flown with a couple that were legitimately “holy sheeet” how did you get to this point...bad.  Both had yuuuge egos and made up for their inability by being an asshole.  Its like the crazy/hot matrix for women...just the can’t fly/asshole matrix
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I found the reason for the crash. Affirmative Action hire strikes again.

"Aska did not list his entire employment history when he was hired at Atlas Air, omitting two jobs with Air Wisconsin and CommutAir that ended after he couldn’t complete the training. The director of training told investigators that “with that information ‘we would not have offered him a position’ based on the (copilots) failure to disclose that information on his application,” KHOU reported."
View Quote
Captain Paul Allred, Mesa Air check airman, told the NTSB that Aska was "one of the worst he'd ever seen, probably a 2" out of 10 in terms of piloting skills.
View Quote
Meanwhile, Captain Leigh Lawless, another Mesa Air check airman, said Aska had a "lack of understanding of how unsafe he was."
View Quote

Flight Officer Conrad Jules Aska
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why was the captain so silent on the CVR transcript?  I don’t get that part.
View Quote
Word from our in house rumor mill that flew with him before said he wasn't the best himself...  All this happened in about 20 seconds.  I can easily see someone freezing up and not communicating, even if they are fighting the guy in the other seat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have only flown with a couple that were legitimately “holy sheeet” how did you get to this point...bad.  Both had yuuuge egos and made up for their inability by being an asshole.  Its like the crazy/hot matrix for women...just the can’t fly/asshole matrix
View Quote
The two I can think of are completely divergent.

One has zero skill and put 175xp into his ego. He hit a parked fuel truck once with a 207 and it was everyone else’s fault.

The other has ZERO desire to be a good pilot. He is stuck in his ways and wants nothing to do with being a PIC. His skill is matched only by his ambition.  If he were a word he’d be “meh”.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Word from our in house rumor mill that flew with him before said he wasn't the best himself...  All this happened in about 20 seconds.  I can easily see someone freezing up and not communicating, even if they are fighting the guy in the other seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was wondering if he got thrown into the overhead?  Pure speculation, but maybe seatbelt was off?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the exact definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After some conversations with some Atlas buddies, I wonder how many more have had enough and quit.
View Quote
All it takes from CVGland is a short trip to SDF and the land of Buster Brown. More than a few friends from Comair have done it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I blame gravity
View Quote
And a lack of altitude.

Every time, all the time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After some conversations with some Atlas buddies, I wonder how many more have had enough and quit.
View Quote
Lots. More than few at my company.

I feel badly for the tons of quality people at that company. I know some senior ex-Polar guys.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I feel badly for the tons of quality people at that company. I know some senior ex-Polar guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily it's a great time for them to jump ship. United, American, Delta and I presume UPS and FedEx will be hiring record numbers of pilots for the next 7 or 8 years. They could bail now and still get half way up a major seniority list inside of a decade. It's a pilot's market for the time being.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Startle would be my guess.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
What I found kinda odd was how easy it was to accidentally hit the TOGA switches by the pilot not flying by having to reach around the quadrant for either flaps or spoilers movement depending on which pilot was in control.   But for the pilot/captain to miss the Go Around mode seems he was lacking as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What I found kinda odd was how easy it was to accidentally hit the TOGA switches by the pilot not flying by having to reach around the quadrant for either flaps or spoilers movement depending on which pilot was in control.   But for the pilot/captain to miss the Go Around mode seems he was lacking as well.
View Quote
I flew the plane for years and I never saw that happen. It always seemed like there was plenty of space between the toga paddles and the flap lever. I think you'd be far more likely to snag a paddle just reaching for the thrust levers themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the FO did it to himself.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Luckily it's a great time for them to jump ship. United, American, Delta and I presume UPS and FedEx will be hiring record numbers of pilots for the next 7 or 8 years. They could bail now and still get half way up a major seniority list inside of a decade. It's a pilot's market for the time being.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s the average pay for an Atlas Cpt?  I’ve always sorta wondered.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:07:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Obviously by industry standards that's pretty damn low. But you could easily live off of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
We are the worst paid US pilots in our class now.

A 747 CA will make about 200k without any overtime. The only way to make money at Atlas is to work a lot of overtime, but it is lucrative if you sell your soul to the company.

Our 3-4 year 747 FO's make about 100K.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A 747 CA will make about 200k without any overtime. The only way to make money at Atlas is to work a lot of overtime, but it is lucrative if you sell your soul to the company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

still a good living, but it should be more, especially for the F/O’s Fwiw, it looks to be about the same as NB FOs at the legacies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top