Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/5/2019 9:40:13 PM EDT
What happened to the Student Pilot Thread?

I soloed today and wanted to tell all my friends  

Update for details:

https://youtu.be/bYh9UTCJZBo

Im 49 and started in AUG. It has been fun, challenging and frustrating at times. I learned pretty fast and have covered most of the flying skill sets for the beginner level.

Long story short, I was having a helluva time with landings. I was flying the pattern by the numbers but almost every time, I would flair too early/too much and float it.

A couple of weeks ago we were training in some pretty stiff cross winds and I did great. Fast forward to my next flight in calm conditions and I was right back to over flairing.

My CFI and I talked about it, tried different things and were actually going to have me fly with another CFI to see if he could TAP my brain to find the loose wire.

I decided to try something new. I adjusted the seat closer to the controls and as I reached my point to level, I just touched the control wheel with my right hand. Greased the first one!
Came around and nailed it again. The funny part is I was so damn nervous because I knew if I had 3 good landings my CFI was going to get out. Landing 3 was smooth so he bailed.

I did 3 TO and landings and they were the best so far. I guess moving closer and using my right hand was the trick.  I have to rank my solo in the top 5 things I have ever done that was so satisfying. Only someone who has done it can understand!
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here is the archived thread which will remain locked:

Student Pilot thread

Please tell us how the solo went!

Is there any way to bring it back from archives?  There was a lot of good information in there and a couple of students had not yet finished and I want to follow up with them?

Corey
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed the forum mod to see if it could be brought back from archives to active.

Corey
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the solo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool. Thanks Corey!

There is another student in my club on ARF as well. Ronnl01
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on the solo.
View Quote
Thanks! Im a high hour solo, my CFI is STRICT! I like it that way though, going to make me a better pilot.

Only mistake I made was wearing a very nice shirt straight from work.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on the solo!  Save the details for the resurrected student pilot thread.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!??
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats OP!!!! You now can measure the diameter of your anal sphincter in angstroms. HOWEVER shall I land My Lord. ROFLMAO!! No shit man congrats. You'll do fine.  I have somewhere north of 3000 hours and an instrument ticket. That means that I damn near died a few times before I figured out the the FARs are there for a reason. Fly but be x times 4 billion on the safe side of things.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks! Im a high hour solo, my CFI is STRICT! I like it that way though, going to make me a better pilot.

Only mistake I made was wearing a very nice shirt straight from work.
View Quote
"High hour solo" because your CFI is "strict"... where have I heard that line of shit before?

Nonetheless, congrats on the solo! Damn few things in life compare!
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome man. I’ve got my last cross countries scheduled and my checkride on 1/7.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awesome man. I’ve got my last cross countries scheduled and my checkride on 1/7.
View Quote
We need to get the student pilot thread back up!

Mods?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I had somewhere north of 60 hours before I soloed. I blame shitty instruction and shitty flight schools. When I ended up trying again at a school in eastern NC, the instructor fixed my approach issues and after three lessons he had me soloing and a month after my PPL I had my instrument ticket.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"High hour solo" because your CFI is "strict"... where have I heard that line of shit before?

Nonetheless, congrats on the solo! Damn few things in life compare!
View Quote
I should clarify, Im not blaming anyone but myself. I have a fantastic instructor! Ive done very well flying, managing work load, navigation etc. I went though a phase where I was over flaring.  I just couldn't get the timing down and about 8 out of 10 landings, I would float the damn thing. Last week I changed my seating position and how I grip the controls. BAM! 100% improvement.

Good times, Im still on an adrenaline high!!!

The reason I even stated I was high time was an opposite of the "I soloed in 35 minutes" chest thumpers. I had 29.1 hours in the log book yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I should clarify, Im not blaming anyone but myself. I have a fantastic instructor! Ive done very well flying, managing work load, navigation etc. I went though a phase where I was over flaring.  I just couldn't get the timing down and about 8 out of 10 landings, I would float the damn thing. Last week I changed my seating position and how I grip the controls. BAM! 100% improvement.

Good times, Im still on an adrenaline high!!!

The reason I even stated I was high time was an opposite of the "I soloed in 35 minutes" chest thumpers. I had 29.1 hours in the log book yesterday.
View Quote
29 hours isn’t bad. Remember this isn’t a race and every hour in the airplane you become a more seasoned pilot.  Yeah everyone wants to pull back the mixture after their check ride at 41 hours.  But there a many factors (beyond student skill) that can bump the check ride into 60+ hours. But I would bet that 60 hour newly minted pilot is more confident on their first flight than the 41 hour pilot.

Don’t worry about the hours. Sounds like you are doing great!  

And there was a lot of discussion in the student pilot thread about problems with the flare and how to fix it. I went through a period of flaring too high and learned just how much punishment these little airplanes can take.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Archived student pilot thread

IM sent to @toiyabe about resurrecting it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I was a high hour solo because I sucked and I was flying an Arrow for primary flight training.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Bob Hoover developed his techniques to overcome motion sickness and then got discovered.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I think instructors are just overly cautious on solos anymore I keep hearing these high numbers.  How are you supposed to get your ticket in 40 or even 60 hours if you fly that much before solo. But I digress.

CONGRATS!!!

I always tell people the day I soloed is the day I learned what commitment really was.  Once the wheels left the ground I was committed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, congrats!

Also, bump to get the old thread revived from the archives.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes, congrats!

Also, bump to get the old thread revived from the archives.
View Quote
Well shit... I see that toiyabe is not listed as a mod any longer, so I sent an IM to Shotar (who IS on the mod list) asking to resurrect the old thread.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well shit... I see that toiyabe is not listed as a mod any longer, so I sent an IM to Shotar (who IS on the mod list) asking to resurrect the old thread.
View Quote
Thanks, I sent my request to toiyabe too.  There is a ton of great into in that thread and some people that I would like to catch up with (including PLammer!).

It seems like there is general support for bringing it back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm just sitting in my flight room waiting for my dollar ride.

1100 SHP in a puke machine is gonna be fuckin' awesome.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm just sitting in my flight room waiting for my dollar ride.

1100 SHP in a puke machine is gonna be fuckin' awesome.
View Quote
I had to look up 'dollar ride'. How did it go? What are you flying in, T-6?
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks, I sent my request to toiyabe too.  There is a ton of great into in that thread and some people that I would like to catch up with (including PLammer!).

View Quote
Shotar sent an inquiry to Staff about it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for doing that FB41.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad news: "It can't be brought back. Feel free to start a new one and link the old one." (IM from Shotar).

Here's the link to the old thread again: Archived Student Pilot Thread
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bad news: "It can't be brought back. Feel free to start a new one and link the old one." (IM from Shotar).

Here's the link to the old thread again: Archived Student Pilot Thread
View Quote
Congrats OP, you just started Student Pilot thread MkII.  I'd suggest a title change and then we can get back to learnin'.  

And please fill us in the details of the solo flight!

PLammer, update please?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Monday I promise. Vacation for a few days..,
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Update for details:

https://youtu.be/bYh9UTCJZBo

Im 49 and started in AUG. It has been fun, challenging and frustrating at times. I learned pretty fast and have covered most of the flying skill sets for the beginner level.

Long story short, I was having a helluva time with landings. I was flying the pattern by the numbers but almost every time, I would flair too early/too much and float it.

A couple of weeks ago we were training in some pretty stiff cross winds and I did great. Fast forward to my next flight in calm conditions and I was right back to over flairing.

My CFI and I talked about it, tried different things and were actually going to have me fly with another CFI to see if he could TAP my brain to find the loose wire.

I decided to try something new. I adjusted the seat closer to the controls and as I reached my point to level, I just touched the control wheel with my right hand. Greased the first one!
Came around and nailed it again. The funny part is I was so damn nervous because I knew if I had 3 good landings my CFI was going to get out. Landing 3 was smooth so he bailed.

I did 3 TO and landings and they were the best so far. I guess moving closer and using my right hand was the trick.  I have to rank my solo in the top 5 things I have ever done that was so satisfying. Only someone who has done it can understand!
View Quote
Awesome!  Dig into the previous thread and the issue of high flare was discussed. Floating seems more a function of speed.  Glad you got it sorted out!  

On any of those high flares did the airplane stop flying and thump to the ground?  I still sometimes look at my flight tracking for a flight in the pattern at Portage and think man that was a long day!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Congrats pilot! That’s one of life’s most memorable experiences for sure. I can’t agree more that the proper seating position is very important, second only to where your eyes are looking during the landing maneuver imo. It’s almost a totally visual maneuver, so getting your eyes in the right place and looking where you need to look will solve probably 90% of a typical students landing issues. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome!  Dig into the previous thread and the issue of high flare was discussed. Floating seems more a function of speed.  Glad you got it sorted out!  

On any of those high flares did the airplane stop flying and thump to the ground?  I still sometimes look at my flight tracking for a flight in the pattern at Portage and think man that was a long day!
View Quote
Surprisingly I only had one slammer! Lots of go a round's and long landings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Congrats pilot! That’s one of life’s most memorable experiences for sure. I can’t agree more that the proper seating position is very important, second only to where your eyes are looking during the landing maneuver imo. It’s almost a totally visual maneuver, so getting your eyes in the right place and looking where you need to look will solve probably 90% of a typical students landing issues. Keep up the good work.
View Quote
Thanks!

I think having my seat further back, along with not being as dexterous with my left hand caused me to "manhandle" the wheel. By sitting closer and just slight pressure with my right hand I am able to "feel" the airplane which in turn causes my inputs to be more subtle and precise.

And yes! The visual cues are huge. I was a motorcycle cop for 10 years and learned alot about head and eyes! Watch some of the competition videos where we are tossing 900 lbs harleys around those cones. If you arent looking in the right place you WILL murder a cone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#35]
The solo was surreal. I could hear the wind noise from the right seat door that I never heard before with my CFI in the plane. Its difficult to explain to someone who has never done it.

In the full video, you can see me touching or pointing at everything during preflight, run up and landing sequence. One of my buddies was asking and I told him it was a new habit I subconsciously inherited!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#36]
That sucks, sounds overly strict. 9 hours for me
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Taking a couple of weeks off from training!

ETA: cant get the photo to link. Its my left foot in a cast. 6th ankle surgery since 2013. Fucking volleyball in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#38]
My CFI is very strict, however I wasn't ready. I had to get the landings consistent.

Overall, I will be a better pilot in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Congrats on your solo, looked pretty smooth !

I flew solo all last summer and this past spring got my pilot.

Here is a landing in one of the club planes: https://youtu.be/plLOmuFLpsU
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Congrats on your solo, looked pretty smooth !

I flew solo all last summer and this past spring got my pilot.

Here is a landing in one of the club planes: https://youtu.be/plLOmuFLpsU
View Quote
Cool! Prop fell off
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The solo was surreal. I could hear the wind noise from the right seat door that I never heard before with my CFI in the plane. Its difficult to explain to someone who has never done it.

In the full video, you can see me touching or pointing at everything during preflight, run up and landing sequence. One of my buddies was asking and I told him it was a new habit I subconsciously inherited!
View Quote
I’ll watch the video later, but was part of your flare solution adding in some trim during the round out?

In the Archer I keep the same trim as in the traffic pattern, which is slightly down trim. The Archer is light enough that I have no problem getting into and holding flare with that trim setting. Maybe I will experiment with neutral trim next flight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Just remember to tell people this when they ask if flying is hard:

Nah, flying is about the easiest thing you could do.

Landing though, now THAT can be a real bitch!

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just remember to tell people this when they ask if flying is hard:

Nah, flying is about the easiest thing you could do.

Landing though, now THAT can be a real bitch!

View Quote
I have found the most engaging phase of flight is turning base to final through round out.

Once you are flying 2’ over the runway on centerline 5 knots over stall speed it is cake. Getting there however....

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ll watch the video later, but was part of your flare solution adding in some trim during the round out?

In the Archer I keep the same trim as in the traffic pattern, which is slightly down trim. The Archer is light enough that I have no problem getting into and holding flare with that trim setting. Maybe I will experiment with neutral trim next flight.
View Quote
Corey, don’t take this as criticism but this sounds like you might not understand or be using the trim correctly. You trim the airplane for the airspeed you are trying to maintain. Increasing or decreasing speed will require a trim change. Configuration changes will usually require a trim change as well. If you’re on downwind holding say a steady 90kts and are trimmed up, and then never change your trim as you slow and add flaps, you will be continuously holding back pressure all the way down. That’s not how to fly. Acquire your target speed/configuration, then trim all the control force off. When you slow to your next target speed retrim again. Trim trim trim! Also be as exact as you can when maintaining a given speed. If you want to be at 70kts, be at 70kts. Don’t accept bad airspeed control. That along with proper trimming will make your job much easier, and give you skills that will help when transitioning to higher performance airplanes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Corey, don’t take this as criticism but this sounds like you might not understand or be using the trim correctly. You trim the airplane for the airspeed you are trying to maintain. Increasing or decreasing speed will require a trim change. Configuration changes will usually require a trim change as well. If you’re on downwind holding say a steady 90kts and are trimmed up, and then never change your trim as you slow and add flaps, you will be continuously holding back pressure all the way down. That’s not how to fly. Acquire your target speed/configuration, then trim all the control force off. When you slow to your next target speed retrim again. Trim trim trim! Also be as exact as you can when maintaining a given speed. If you want to be at 70kts, be at 70kts. Don’t accept bad airspeed control. That along with proper trimming will make your job much easier, and give you skills that will help when transitioning to higher performance airplanes.
View Quote
This is sound advise and if I had to pick one thing that helped me learn to land, it was trimming the airplane to maintain speed and attitude.

With negative (or positive) trim, you are fighting the airplane for a trimmed state whether you know it not. Relax for even a second and there goes all the effort you put into maintaining speed.

Many years ago, I had to land my 182 with JUST the trim because the elevator cable did something stupid like snap. The elevator went to a neutral point and pretty much stayed there. I was able to land the plane, albeit an little firm using just the trim.
I pretty much was done flying for awhile after that... I hadda go change clothes.

I had my pal the A&P-IA do a hard landing inspection and replace the cable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I love about these threads, always great info!  I wonder if I could have been more clear on my post thought.

To be clear, I am very good about trimming the aircraft for hands off flying (zero pressure, finger on the yoke) starting at climb out.  I continue that through the flight.

Once I enter pattern altitude and speeds, I trim for a speed appropriate to conditions.  I have been comfortable maintaining that trim setting for the final minute or two of the flight, which covers a speed change of 70/80 KIAS down to the target 60-65 KIAS.  So not a huge difference.  At that point the trim is a turn or two down, but does not affect my final.  I have just found that it is easier to use yoke than trim in the base to landing sequence.  On base to landing I keep my left hand on the yoke and right hand on the throttle.

So I am in good trim on base, but fly the rest of the way in with the yoke.  The Archer is light enough that the yoke feels great all the way to the ground.  I do realize that when I move to a heavier airplane (like a 182) I am not going to be able to get away with that.

I am at a point where I am trying to identify bad habits and clean them up.  Thanks for your reminders and help.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I am at a point where I am trying to identify bad habits and clean them up.
View Quote
Not to further derail the thread, but this is a sign of a good pilot. Always look for your weak areas and make them strengths. Now start trimming all the way down to landing!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Now that Im grounded with my foot in a cast, I want to hear about some flying!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not to further derail the thread, but this is a sign of a good pilot. Always look for your weak areas and make them strengths. Now start trimming all the way down to landing!
View Quote
I'll give it a shot on the next flight.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now that Im grounded with my foot in a cast, I want to hear about some flying!!!!!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top