Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:39:51 AM EDT
GE Dishwasher that came with the house went on the fritz.

3 1/2 years old

Start it up, you can hear the water coming in, then quiet. A little while later, you hear the water being pumped out,
and the panel beeps, saying that it's done. So it's completely skipping the whole wash & rinse cycle.

Looking at the very limited trouble-shooting section in the mini-manual, the panel isn't locked, the water inlet isn't
clogged, and several recyclings of turn the power off, wait 15 minutes, and turn it back on gets no joy.

I'm figuring that it has something to do with the control panel/PC card (whatever controls it) - ring any bells to anybody?
I'm decent with tools, soldering, etc. if the parts are available and won't cost as much to obtain, than just replace the
whole unit.

(I can get the model # later on if needed.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a friend with a whirlpool dishwasher. He has had to replace the front control board 3 times. good thing he bought the extended warranty.  he told me it would cost him 250 each time if he had to pay for it. Usually the contactor stuff is the lowest end. if you determine it the board,see if you can price one out. if it cost too much,buy a new one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]
With the model number handy, the schematics and parts are available online fairly cheap and you can do the repairs yourself (swap out a control panel, or swap in a new motor, even).

The only problem is you're lacking the experience with these things needed to correctly diagnose the problem and buy the right part.  Otherwise, you end up needlessly replacing a few things here and there until you finally find the true culprit which will end up wasting your time and money.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it the faux stainless one?

I had similar troubles with mine, turned out that the latch wasn't completely engaging whatever it needed to engage. After several service calls, they figured it out and bent it down and it's been working fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
We are still on the original GE diswasher that came with our new house back in '97

Ran 3-4 times weekly and never a problem.

It might be cheaper to just buy a brand new one if you can't fix it yourself.

best of luck
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
try  www.fixitnow.com

Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The unit may be subject to a recall.  Google up a GE 800 number and check it out.  

Buy an LG or Bosch.......

(My fricking Maytag is 14 years old and still cleans spotless!!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top