Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 7:06:25 PM EDT
Im looking to get a bandsaw. I cant afford a nice top end saw.
Anyone have any luck/experience with the low end models?

I hate to go to harbor freight but may have to.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my own machine shop and have both a large horizontal and a Harbor Freight saw.

To be honest, I use the Harbor saw  for probably 70% of what I cut.  Its just easier to use on anything smaller than 2" in diameter or square.

I would recomend getting the service plan though.  Tht way if anything does go wrong, you can just swap it for a new one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, check out Grizzly or Jet I have a Grizzly band saw in my shop and am real happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to the both of you!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
you can also find good deals on used machinery.  Might check Craiglist if you can't find a place that deals in used equipment.

Redmonds Machinery in GA has used equipment, I'm sure there is a store similar to this in your state.

Grizzly and Jet both make quality lower end bandsaws as has already been mentioned.  Might look at Delta also.  

If you haven't already found it Grizzly has their own website and you can purchase directly from them for $400 up.

Jet is prob $500 up.  

Eventually you get into Powermatic, ect... for $1500 up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a small HF band saw also. It does the job every time. Cheap and reliable. I wouldnt hesitate to get another if I had to go bigger in size.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The smaller HF model is a piece of crap for most work.  The band comes off and the unit is horribly under powered.  Some of the parts on it are fragile.  Do not pick the smallest version, unless you are only cutting plastics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top