Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 9:10:53 AM EDT
I need to pre cut my rafters for a strait gable roof on a pole barn.
Trial and error would be a bad option as it is just me with no helpers and it is in the air pretty far.
So I hope to pre cut two, drag them up there, check fit on each gable end and in the middle of the run a few times, then use those patterns and pre cut the whole run.

I forgot how to calculate the length from top long point of rafter down to inside 90 of the "Bird Mouth?".  Eave length will not matter.  I will pick a length based on remainder of board.

Ridge will be 1.5" wide (2X8)
Outside dimension on wall plates is 18'-4" or 220".
I need this figured for both 3.5 in 12 pitch and also for 4 in 12 pitch.  (target is 4 in 12 but I am close on lumber length so 3.5 in 12 is the fall back point)

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I am remembering some of it.

I take 220" and divide in half = 110".

4/12 = x/110" = 36.66"   (and this step is the key to figuring out 3.5 in 12 pitch as well?)

Pythagorean Theorem with 110" for A and 36.66" for B.

C= 115.95".

Multiply 0.95 by 16 for 1/16ths".

Common length = 115 - 15/16".  or 116" close enough.

Knock back 3/4" squared off the ridge cut/line AFTER measuring the 116" common measurement.

Provided I stay on the 4 in 12 plumb line down at the bird mouth end of the common measurement can I arbitrarily "pick" my up and down height to best suit the situation?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't have a blue book? Scratching head...let me see if I can remember this.  Find your total rise and the you use a little pythagorean theorum:

total rise squared + run squared = square of c (c = your rafter length). Get the root and then subtract .75" to account for half the ridge.

I think that's right, but man it's been a long time since I learned that.

eta: try this and see how she does for you: http://www.wendrickstruss.com/Calculator/index.asp
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Thanks!  That's a pretty good truss calculator.
No blue book.  Lost it to the great tool eating storage shed.  It is in there some place but dang if I can find it!

I think I got what I need to go ahead and pre cut the rafters.  
If I'm off a little the critters around here probably won't care anyway!
And of course lumber does grow in trees!  It's the milling that gets pricey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top