Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2006 4:06:57 PM EDT
Has anyone built a safe room in their house. I am about to build a house and have been researching putting in a fireproof safe room rather than a large gun safe. I have looked at safe doors and the ballistic wall panels that are also fire resistant. I am just wondering is anyone has done this and has any tips or suppliers for the materials.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread has some information on what you are looking for.

Armor for the Home!
Link Posted: 8/4/2006 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Frank.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I built a room for my safe. The whole house was being remodeled so I had the builders do a small room.

2 layers of drywall. Twice the fire protection.
Water line. I connected a fire sprinkler to it.
Large Solid fire rated door. The jam was built to fit the double dry wall.
Floor was reenforced
Light and outlets

I covered the walls with 16 gauge steel and the floor with cement backer board.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking of buiding a safe room in my basement (below grade, concrete foundation). My cheap and easy plan is to build walls using cinder/concrete blocks with rebar down the holes (and filling the holes with concrete). A safe door that looks like a regular door and some drywall would complete the room. I know it won't stop a determined criminal, but it will slow them down considerably.

I still have to figure out a way to reinforce the ceiling to increase its fireproofness (kinda difficult to pour a concrete ceiling). Any idea's?

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You can pour a concrete ceiling if you use a corrugated steel pan and support it properly before you pour. You also need to be careful how far your span is. I plan on doing that for my safe room. From the outside it will look like a concrete patio.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
whatever you do Build it Twice as big as you think you need.. TRUST ME
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
We just built a new cash handling facility.  It is a poured concrete "box" with rebar running horizontally and veritically (spaced 3" apart) through the 12" poured walls, floor, and ceiling.  I was talking to the IT guys and they had to run some more conduits through the walls after it was poured and said it was extremely difficult to drill even a small hole because of the rebar.

So here would be my idea for the perfect safe room:

1. Poured walls, floor, and ceiling with lots of rebar
2. Drilling sensors in the walls
3. Air unit is isolated from the rest of your house
4. Point of entry uses several layers of security (retina, fingerprint, and voice)
5. Point of entry will be your weakest point, so spend extra money on the door
6. Redundent electrical system (If system loses power, it has backup, and also sets off an alarm)
7. Put the "room" underground

PS...As I watch this mythbusters has a special on security devices.

Anyone who has more ideas for the perfect safe room add them to the list.

Let's have fun with this.

NO BUDGET
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#8]
im glad you added No budget to the bottom Cuz your list is BAD

you dont need all that you just need to make sure your safe is hidden from the world..

But no budget? Mini gun via remot control so you make 2 room.. and have the first one easily gotten into and Lay into em with that mini gun... and a grenade launcher
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top