Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2021 8:44:21 AM EDT
Absolute crap?

We live in a wooded area so things tend to not dry out.  We currently are on our second pair of Frigidaires, IIRC they're 50 pint units.  Both are about a year old and are warranty replacements.  The previous ones were 70 pint units (old rating system) and lasted about 3 years.  The new ones are starting to ice up now too.

We don't have issues in the summer since the A/C keeps the humidity in check, but in the spring and fall we definitely need them.  2000 sq. ft. ranch, one unit upstairs, one in the unfinished basement.

I'm tempted to add a built-in to the HVAC system, but I've seen very mixed reviews on them too.  Does anyone have any suggestions, either portable or built-in, that are decent quality, or at least serviceable?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
From what Ive read, you need a commercial rated unit.

And those are $$$$
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking for one as well. The consumer models seem to favor form over function and are all made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory. None seem to last more than a few years before breaking down or corroding away. Even the commercial units get mixed reviews and they are big money for what you get. I'm not sure why they can't design a unit that lasts more than a few years. There was a huge recall on several brands a while back. They were catching on fire.

The older units seem to last forever, so the tech is there to build something that isn't complete junk.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Aprilaire or Santa Fe/Ultra-Aire

I have both. Aprilaire 1850 plumbed into HVAC and my gun room has an Ultra-Aire MD33.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the GE 50 pt (was 70) unit. Yep, lasts about 4 years and then just doesn't make water any more. Sounds fine, just must lose its charge.

I took the casing off, and I can't figure out how they charged the thing in the first place- everything is soldered that I can see, no valves. Worked well, until it didn't. Seems a waste. So I bought another one...
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Chinese made dehumidifiers are designed and engineered to  have a 2-3 year life, depending on use.  In fact, I would be willing to bet that is the  number one objective, to design them to fail in 2-3 years so you have to buy another  chinese made dehumidifier
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought two Craigslist white-westinghouse brand dehumidifiers for $40 on Craigslist. Bought them at least 17-20 years ago (i can't remember if i bought them before or after my kids were born) and have had them in constant use since then. They were "old" when I bought them, probably 1980's vintage. definitely R-12 freon.

They have the old mechanical dial controls and humidistats, only 1 indicator light for when they are full.. unstoppable. Some things just did not need to be improved upon or "digitized"
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a hobby that requires some pretty significant dehumidification.
I was at the point of buying one of the heavy commercial ones, but then I found this on Amazon with good reviews.
It has exceeded my expectations. Includes the pump to pump off into waste pipe or sewer line or whatever.
It has run for as long as a year without needing any maintenance.

Tosot 50 pint. Rated for 4500 sq. ft.
Home Depot

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought two Craigslist white-westinghouse brand dehumidifiers for $40 on Craigslist. Bought them at least 17-20 years ago (i can't remember if i bought them before or after my kids were born) and have had them in constant use since then. They were "old" when I bought them, probably 1980's vintage. definitely R-12 freon.

They have the old mechanical dial controls and humidistats, only 1 indicator light for when they are full.. unstoppable. Some things just did not need to be improved upon or "digitized"
View Quote

I have the new Tosot above, and also a 1980's unit like the one you have.
The new one removes a LOT more water, with less heat and less energy use, than the old one.
Of course, the 35 year old one still works, no idea if the newer ones will go that distance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a whole house dehumidifier many years ago for my basement (rock walls). Uses a pump to dump the water into a laundry sink. Works pretty good. It was $1500 back then, no idea what they would go for now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aprilaire or Santa Fe/Ultra-Aire

I have both. Aprilaire 1850 plumbed into HVAC and my gun room has an Ultra-Aire MD33.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had previously looked into a Honeywell whole house system because I could have gotten it at dealer cost.  Reviews on that one were mixed.  How long have you had the Aprilaire and Ultra-Aire?  Any issues with either?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had previously looked into a Honeywell whole house system because I could have gotten it at dealer cost.  Reviews on that one were mixed.  How long have you had the Aprilaire and Ultra-Aire?  Any issues with either?
View Quote

Not super long, we just built the house a year and a half ago but they have been on and running fairly constantly for probably 14 of the last 18 months. Zero issues.

Granted it is still early but they came highly recommended to me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
15 year old Delonghi.
I keep the fins clean.
Never an issue.
Just got a recall notice due to several catching fire in another country.
Not sure if I will take it back to Costco.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the aprilaire 1850.   Stopped cooling around the 4 year mark and was replaced under the 5 year warranty and I was told the warranty resets to another 5 years. seems like I’m past 5 years this time and so far so good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a crawlspace style aprilaire 90 and love it
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all of the recommendations.  Looks like I'll be looking into Aprilaire to start.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an Aprilaire 1830 set up in the basement and my home usually stays around 45-50% from spring though fall and I keep my thermostat set to 78-80 degrees and it's still very comfortable because the humidity is kept controlled. I've also installed another 6 of the Aprilaire 1830s in friends and families homes and they've all been surprised at how well they perform compared to the cheaper area dehumidifiers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Rather surprisingly, it sounds like Frigidaire is going to replace my replacement dehumidifier.  Their dehumidifiers are still crap, but their customer service is pretty good, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.  Nice to see a company that stands behind their product, even if their product is crap.  Still going to look into whole house dehumidifiers, but at least this will reduce the urgency somewhat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the GE 50 pt (was 70) unit. Yep, lasts about 4 years and then just doesn't make water any more. Sounds fine, just must lose its charge.

I took the casing off, and I can't figure out how they charged the thing in the first place- everything is soldered that I can see, no valves. Worked well, until it didn't. Seems a waste. So I bought another one...
View Quote

There is usually a single port with doubled over copper tubing for filling.
Most commonly on the liquid side for fast filling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top