Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2021 10:58:34 AM EDT
Anyone have any insight on this? Builder wants 1800 to do my garage prior to completion.  3 car.  North Texas.  Not wanting anything fancy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats not terrible.
What is the SOW, actual product, application and finish?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My total cost to do mine (768 sq/ft plus 12" CMU wall) was $1700, and I did it myself,  but I used polyurea and not epoxy.

Polyurea will have better life under chemical spills over epoxy.  Gasoline, diesel, oil, trans fluid, etc.  

$1800 isn't a bad price though if the material is good quality.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What coating are ya going with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Proper prep is the key and is a bit of a pain in the a$$.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d pay someone for this type of job. Pain in ass and not very forgiving of you screw up. And if you do screw up, you have to pay someone to strip it and start over
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a 20x20 garage myself (new construction) with the Rustoleum epoxy kit from HD/Lowes... I used the more expensive non-water based stuff. It came out great. I want to say my cost for materials was about $600 for that job (2014). YMMV, $1800 sounds like a good price if materials and work are good quality.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate the replies.  I was told to pick something out at Sherwin Williams.  I have yet to look to see what options they have available.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate the replies.  I was told to pick something out at Sherwin Williams.  I have yet to look to see what options they have available.
View Quote

When I was doing my floor, one of my first stops was at Sherwin Williams industrial (the regular paint stores do not sell floor coatings) and they did not offer any products for me during the winter.

It may be different in Texas. Oddly enough, Polyaspartic sets up slower in cold weather, so warmer temps are not on your side.

If Sherwin Williams is it,  the GP4850 line is what I would want. Make sure your guy is willing to use that product though. It’s not a multi hour setup like epoxy. You are hard in 20 minutes and second coat in an hour.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure that he sprinkles the flakes thick enough. Without the flakes on top, the floor is extremely slippery; I made that mistake. Fortunately, we only get rain a couple times a year, so a wet floor isn't common.
Also, the flakes give a lot better wear protection than just the epoxy coating.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
This is my Career. An $1800 3 car garage isn’t going to hold up long term. That’s a basic no prep bull crap single coat hack job. I would charge almost 5k assuming we would also coat the foundation too. Hire someone else to do it have them do a full broadcast of flakes and a polyaspartic topcoat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Their MacroPoxy is fuckin tough.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is my Career. An $1800 3 car garage isn’t going to hold up long term. That’s a basic no prep bull crap single coat hack job. I would charge almost 5k assuming we would also coat the foundation too. Hire someone else to do it have them do a full broadcast of flakes and a polyaspartic topcoat.
View Quote

A coworker just had his pole barn garage quoted for exactly what you just listed including mechanical abrasion for prep. My coworker is awesome, instead of telling me his square footage, he gave me the "per sqft" price considering I'm thinking about having my garage floor done: $6.25 per sqft (Southern Indiana)
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Open to more opinions and experiences.  The garage will be used like a normal family residential garage.  Not subject to chemicals or heavy traffic.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I did 2 garage floor epoxy myself.  1 was a home depot brand (it was ok but peeled after a few years) and 1 was some brand off the internet (lasted about the same length of time).  When we moved recently, I hired a place that was recommended to me by a few people ar work.  I saw their garage floors and was amazed how much better it looked vs my DIY version.   It was $3.50 a sq ft but that was all the materials with heavy flake.  I wanna say I spend about 3k total (45' rv garage and a reg 2 car garage).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top