Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2015 9:02:23 PM EDT
Okay folks what am I doing wrong?

Painting semi gloss on baseboards and window trim.  It starts sagging or dripping and I pull paint off trying to smooth it out.   I figure I should let it dry since its pulling the paint up and making an uneven, messy surface.
Am I loading my brush too heavy in the first coat?  Too thick?  Should I make two thinner coats?
I'm painting over Kilz primer.  

I'm not a painter......just trying to repaint a room.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If paint is dripping you have too much paint on your brush or roller.  Most paints, unless one coat label stuff, will take two coats to get a desired finish.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I was thinking I could cover it in one.   I painted one doorway with a thinner coat so I can check it later.

On the rough patches where I've messed it up I figure to let it dry well and sand it down.  Probably have to sand some of it down to the primer again.  

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Add some Flo-trol to it and don't apply it so heavy.  Use two coats and it will turn out really smooth.  The Flo-trol really makes the brush marks disappear.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it.  Thanks folks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top