Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2013 4:54:51 PM EDT
We've got a huge single car garage that my wife wants to turn a section of into a play area for our toddler.  She is concerned about her falling and cracking her dome on the the concrete (and I agree..)

I've looked at some stuff and am not sure which way to go.  She wants her to be able to ride a tricycle in there eventually so it can't be too soft like some of the foam blocks can be.  I saw some rubber (instead of foam) blocks for the floor but they all seem to cost a fortune.

Got any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy an inexpensive area rug?
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I like that but she wants it wall to wall for that section.  I'll take a look at pricing on something like that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Lay down some carpet pad and throw down some in-door out door carpet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
1-1/2 " foam (the pink or blue board type) over the concrete, then cover as you will.

That foam will hold up pretty well and still have some "give" to it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I put down commercial carpet in my garage. Glued directly to the concrete like most commercial applications. I park on it and do some woodwork over it and vacuum when it gets too dusty. Running out to the garage on a cold winter's night is easy. I'd recommend it to everyone.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to a tractor supply or feed store and buy stall mats.  They are rubber, and an inch or so thick.  You can cut them to size as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go to a tractor supply or feed store and buy stall mats.  They are rubber, and an inch or so thick.  You can cut them to size as well.

Yikes!  Even they are $5/sq ft ($45/sq yd).
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Both Lowes and Home Depot will have small remnant sections of carpet sold at a discount.  Buy a few to cover the whole garage or just one as an area rug.

But honestly the time from worrying about falls constantly to literally running care free is so short I would play inside or in the grass and do nothing for the time being, then move on to play in the garage on the concrete or a small area rug.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes!  Even they are $5/sq ft ($45/sq yd).

They are about $30 for a 4x8 mat at the local Atwoods.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have those square sectional pieces where the edges look like a jigsaw puzzle piece in my woodshop.  No problem rolling some of my tools across the mats once you get over the transition from concrete to the mat.  (my Rikon jointer for example which weighs well over 100 lbs).
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]
You guys are great.  

I'll sit down with the wife when I get back up there and figure out what we'll do.  thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
short term solution- carpet
long term solution-rubber gym flooring
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Unfortunately, whichever route you go, no option will be cheap.  And considering you're in Alaska, you're also going to have to consider heating the space or she's only gonna wanna go in there a few months out of the year.  Personally, I think the rubber horse stall mats are the most versatile option.  If you're going to be in this house for many years, she will eventually outgrow riding and playing in the garage and you can get continued use with the mats by adding weight equipment and making yourself a home gym.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
See here, Flooring forum.  More options than you can imagine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top