Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 2:05:59 AM EDT
I've got a long run that's flow insufficient: I bought a booster fan but need to know if I should mount it close to the plenum or further down the duct? (8" duct, in-line)
Wiring: the Printed Circuit board has terminals to connect additional features such as humidifiers, but in my mind you shouldn't place that kind of load on the card, more like using it to signal a relay to run the booster fan.
I'm competent enough to have installed the entire heating & cooling system (dual forced air furnaces & A/C) but this isn't my normal kind of work.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd put it part way down the branch line personally.  But I have no professional justification to back it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
8" seems rather small, but you still need to provide more specifics.  How long is the duct run?  How many tons is the furnace/air handler?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd put it part way down the branch line personally.  But I have no professional justification to back it.

If it is flex duct make sure it is straight and stretched out as possible with no sags or unnecessary bends.  If it is sheet metal make sure there are no leaks, seal it up.  2/3 of the way from the system or whatever the instructions say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top