Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2012 9:23:42 AM EDT
If you don't know, this is a hex sign.  

Typically you just screw it down but we're hanging this as a decoration by the kitchen table and I'd like to hang it more like a picture.

It's roughly 3/8" thick and 24" diameter, looks like some kind of MDF and is maybe 10 lbs.

I was thinking something like a plate hanger but there's nothing big enough.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#1]
yes i have done this for a client . drill 4 small holes just the same size as the nail  in each corner (every 90 degrees) in the same place were it looks natural. buy a pack of nice looking  brass small head 1,1/2 inch nails and find stud the top and bottom go into stud at correct height and the two on the side help but are mostly decoration
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I might be inclined to hang it just like a picture: a picture frame wire fastened in two places above the centerline with the length being such that it does not go above the top, then use a heavy picture frame hook nailed to the wall.

If you have an old house with high crown moulding (originally designed to hang pictures) then I would string a wire from the moulding to a top screw-eye on the hex sign.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Hangman picture hanger brackets

Rated hanging weight starts at 60 lbs
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]

That actually has potential and I've seen them at the big box stores.

The one thing I didn't mention is the sign already has a hole in the middle where they had mounted it for display as it's apparently the traditional way to hang them.  I was considering using that to screw the sign to a backboard so I could then use that to mount to.  I'd rather avoid putting more holes in it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That actually has potential and I've seen them at the big box stores.

The one thing I didn't mention is the sign already has a hole in the middle where they had mounted it for display as it's apparently the traditional way to hang them.  I was considering using that to screw the sign to a backboard so I could then use that to mount to.  I'd rather avoid putting more holes in it.

That's all I use when I make frames or display cases for people.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you use a drywall anchor? Bore a recess hole in the plaque with a forestner bit and hang it flush against it with one screw?

One anchor, one hole, easy to center. You can get these at any box store.

Or, you could get fancy and use a plunge router with a keyhole bit.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
french cleat- I've put up 500lb plaques with them

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top