Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 4:28:50 PM EDT
Well?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You serious? Ever seen it done?  Lots of expensive concrete spraying equipment that's not carried at the local rental store.  Bunch of guys working their ass off to make it happen correctly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You can now buy fiberglass inground pools.  I got a quote for one and the pool, pump, and filter system was about $6000 IIRC.  Installation would be more of course.

I would never spend the money for a concrete inground pool.  Too much $$ and maintenance intensive.  Fiberglass inground is the way to go for a homeowner pool IMO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Not just no, but HELL FUCKING NO!  Leave that one up to those who do it every day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad did it with by just digging a giant hole for a normal above ground pool, installing said pool and backfilling around it.

redneck as fuck, but it worked

I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm talking about the panel and liner kind.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in high school I helped my dad do one.  We dug the hole, set up the steel walls, ran all the plumbing and wiring.  Then he paid some guys to come in and spray the vermiculite on the graded dirt and to set the liner.  We did all the backfill and the patio area around it too.  

Pay someone else to do it.  Or better yet, use someone else's pool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well?

inground, no way .  by definition you are constructing walls higher than 48" –– that requires site engineering and adherence to proper excavation, restraining/deadman, drainage, backfill, and compaction techniques –– all to code.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Do it, but put a roof on it so we can finally see a bomb shelter.   +1 if you add an enterance
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Did my own in-ground pool, 16.5'x32.5'. Aluminum walls with vinyl liner and I can honestly say "I will never attempt that again" Took me a little over 1.5yrs from start to finish. In all I have $9000 into it, (including stamped concrete, did the concrete also) I saved around $32000. Ordered the kit online, rented all equipment. Only help I had was from father in-law when I did the electrical. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, will try and help.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the fiberglass option as mentioned.  

another benefit of an inground pool-  Less grass to mow!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the fiberglass option as mentioned.  

another benefit of an inground pool-  Less grass to mow!

If I was to do an inground pool, I'd use the fiberglass and then pour a cement pad all the way around the pool and then fence it.  

A good do it yourselfer could probably do it.  However, I'd get a price on professional instalation....or get a bunch of friends to help!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well?

being that it is DIY not DYI i'd say don't try....
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
My cousin who lived Encino California backin '92 tried this but it did not work out well for him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My cousin who lived Encino California backin '92 tried this but it did not work out well for him.

that one almost got by me except my wife is a big Brendan Fraser fan

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Well?

poolsolutions.com

More than you ever need to know about a pool.............

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in the early planning process of doing one myself.  Hell I built my own custom 5K sqft home, can do electrical, plumbing and we have been building ponds since I was a kid.  Big hole, not a problem.  I can do rebar and cement work, but would pay guys I know to shoot the gunite.  Will tile myself.  I very much don't think it will be easy but a very small simple pool with spa runs in the 80-100K range around here.  

The biggest issue that I have with owning a pool is the upkeep.  That might be the thing that stops me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top