Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2007 8:13:04 AM EDT
The Charge of the Light Brigade and They Died with Their Boots On

Educate me, I know zip about his movies, are they any good? I read a couple of reviews of The Light Brigade and it seems badass at least.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
he was a huge actor in his time.
and rumor had it that he was a true ladies man, the phrase "in like flynn" is named after him becuase he was "in" with all the ladies...

I think, I also heard he was gay. who knows, but he was a great actor
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Both great movies. Flynn was far from gay, one of the top ladies men of the era. During WWII he stood trial for statutory rape, for dalliances on his yacht with some young women. The servicemen then came up with the "in like FLynn" line, as a result of this.  

BTW he was acquitted.

Edit-spelling
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Both great movies. Flynn was far from gay, one of the top ladies men of the era. During WWII he stood trial for statutory rape, for dalliances on his yacht with some young women. The servicemen then came up with the "in like FLynn" line, as a result of this.  

BTW he was aquitted.

He was acquitted; I believe the girls were 15 and 16, and when asked to testify at the trial, they were asked "Did he force you to perform acts on him against your will?"

They both answered "Against my will?  Are you kidding?  He's Errol Flynn!"
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my favorite actors,

captain blood & robin hood are his best though, gentlemen jim is pretty good too.

the girl he was accussed of raping jorneyed with him on a yaught and looked much older, it was a set up, probably a studio trying to get control of him, when the girl showed up to court she was dressed like a twelve year old.

he tried enlisting during ww2 but he had a spot on his lung which disqualified him.

he was straight.

on the perverse side, his home in california had secret panels and mirrors so he and friends would secretly watch other friends with chicks.

where wayne was rough and tough, flynn was smooth and suave, 2 leading men never to happen again.

Both films you have are pretty good, light bridgade is the better of the 2.

Watch Flynn in "Dodge city" it's pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
"The Prince and the Pauper" has long been a favorite movie of mine.

But it's also the only Errol Flynn movie I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
"Dawn Patrol" another great one ww1, good dogfights!
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You HAVE to get:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Man, I love that movie.  I remember Entertainment Weekly did an article when the Kevin Costner Robin Hood came out.  They rated the Errol Flynn as the best, then the Daffy duck, and last was Kevin Costner.   The version that I got HAS the Daffy Duck cartoon on it as an extra!

The big question, was he or was he not a Nazi?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Erroll Flynn, awesome actor, great movies for their time.  The movies are entertaining fluff and dated action, but for their time they were action-packed blockbusters.  Don't look for historical accuracy however, look for simple fun and entertainment.  They typically paired him with the hottest womenz available at the time too.
Read his autobio "My Wicked, Wicked Ways", not sure how much of it is true but its loads of fun.

My personal favorite is "Captain Blood"....
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
The first (Light Brigade) I’ve seen on the TV.
It quite good if historically inaccurate.

The second I’ve only seen parts of so I can’t give an honest opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top